Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

1 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What do you feed your boa?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • live mouse

22 29.33%
  • f/t mouse

17 22.67%
  • prekilled mouse

2 2.67%
  • live rat

17 22.67%
  • f/t rat

22 29.33%
  • prekilled rat

6 8.00%
  • whatever i feel like that day sometimes a mouse sometimes a rat

4 5.33%
  • whatever i feel like that day but always the same type of prey item (rat or mouse)

1 1.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: feeding live VS f/t

A, You're asking about your hoggie, but for Wrigley, my RTB, I feed f/t. That's what the breeder was feeding when I bought Wrigley. He got a live mouse and a live rat pup a couple of times because I didn't have f/t at that time, but he's gone right back to f/t w/o any problems.

Kishnah gets f/t because they were easier. Now that she's eating nb rats I'll stick w/the f/t because I dont have any that size. When I had pinky mice, she actually ate one live w/o the constricting, so I don't want to take the chance she'd try to do that with larger prey and get hurt.

What few rats I've bred, they're the wrong size for the feeding I need to do. With the last litter too, I found it personally difficult to feed the rats live. Some of them have become pets.

P. Snake was eating a live mouse 2x/week when I got him in Dec. As he grew, I gradually got him to eat f/t rat pups. He then went on a hunger strike, so I shifted back to live mice. He's eaten that only once, and he's refused the live mouse again this last Sunday. I did notice when he ate last, the mouse tried to bite while coiled up, and as P. whent to eat, the mouse wasn't dead yet, so P had to coil around it again. It would be more convenient for me to feed live, but if they don't eat, then the prey gets too big. (That's how we ended up w/Scabbers, Peekaboo and Smudge rats as pets now.)

All the others have been taking f/t w/o any problems. Even Oreo now eats the f/t pinky w/o any reluctance. The first time I had to feed live (I had one avail) but now she'll eagerly eat the f/t.

As long as the snake is eating, do what works for YOU. For my schedule, thawing is a PITA and I don't have a lot of time for it, but it's better because I'll always have the correct sized prey for the snakes, and now that my collection is more than just an adult BP, everybody is taking all sorts of different sizes and I wouldn't be able to breed mice or rats correctly to always have the right size.

Hope this helps.

RuLyn
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Just mice and rats???? What about for really big boas???? I been feeding my larger boas guinea pigs and small rabbits too! The 8ft boa would've given me a real funny look had I offered him mice..LOL!
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

hahahahaha sooo true.

in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady
    Just mice and rats???? What about for really big boas???? I been feeding my larger boas guinea pigs and small rabbits too! The 8ft boa would've given me a real funny look had I offered him mice..LOL!
    I don't wanna even know what Rauri would do if I offered him a mouse LOL He likes the rats well enough but I think his best feeding response seems to be with the baby meat bunnies. We are so lucky though (as Becky will find out shortly when he ships out to her) that Rauri is just not picky at all and will take any reasonable sized rat, GP or rabbit with pretty much equal zeal.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

i wonder if they'd even bother to take the mouse or simply see it as nothing.
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

the previous owner of my 7 ft red tail said he fed him 3 large mice a week. ( it was all i could do not to laugh at him). now he gets a jumbo rat once a week and loves it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady
    If and when my newest lady gets that big, I'll be buying rabbits for her, but most all my snakes are still in the mice/small-med rat sized prey group. Rob did say that my newest BP took large rats, and he's quite the chunk. We'll see what happens Sunday on Feeding Day.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

I thought rat's ruled guy's what's up with this poll? Well you guessed it I feed live rat's.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

ya i noticed it was split pretty evenly... with live mice and f/t rats - weird eh?
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

We feed all of our snakes live prey items. The balls get appropriately sized rats, the boas get rats and the corn snakes get mice. We have always fed live, and have yet to have a snake get bit by a prey item. We have occasionally left a rat in with one of the balls overnight, accident, but normally, the rat chews through the hardware cloth on top of the tub and gets out. If I had Freedom Breeder style racks with metal tops, I think the outcome may be different. I do hate having to put a patch on the hardware cloth, so as a result, we pay closer attention at the end of feeding day.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast