Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

1 members and 3,376 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New Crestie from White Plains

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee
    none at all. it is quite normal for your gecko to finger paint with its food. it may be a few days before it decides to eat. i usually don't even offer food at all for the first few days that i have a new gecko but it certainly doesn't do any harm to make it available to them just in case. he will eat when he gets more comfortable and settles into his new home.
    awwww...fingerpainting cresties!!!

GAH!! I need to just stop even reading any posts made by you! Or any of the rest of you crestie-lovin' freaks!!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

What are you using for a food dish, I found pill bottles caps perfect to tell if a little gecko is eating. Nice gecko anyways looks very similar to a little guy I have now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC

GAH!! I need to just stop even reading any posts made by you! Or any of the rest of you crestie-lovin' freaks!!!

Naww, you wont quit reading our posts, you will continue to read each and everyone of them, and soon , you too will lose all will power and find yourself scrambling to get yourself a crestie! You too will be sucked in....

you know you want one.......

Speaking of just one, you know, you just cant stop at one. They are so cute and they lick thier eye balls! Yes, I speak of experience, started with the one as an X-Mas gift from my daughter, and as of now, have 5.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I know...I know....I know!

YES, I want one. Never denied that. LOL I just don't have the faintest idea how to convince my hubby that it would be a good thing. He thinks I'm nuts as it is and is terrified that I'm gonna overflow the house with reptiles. LOL
    -- Judy

Thanks

I know...I know....I know!

YES, I want one. Never denied that. LOL I just don't have the faintest idea how to convince my hubby that it would be a good thing. He thinks I'm nuts as it is and is terrified that I'm gonna overflow the house with reptiles. LOL
    You could always tell him how cute they are and about how they lick their eye balls..... and how they would not overflow the house, they are too tiny to do that..unless you are giving them your whole living room or something like that.
    *Jeanne*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    You could always tell him how cute they are and about how they lick their eye balls..... and how they would not overflow the house, they are too tiny to do that..unless you are giving them your whole living room or something like that.
    I haven't seen mine lick his eyeballs yet but the lip licking is cute enough!!

Thanks

Come over here Judy to the "holding out" corner ...please...I need company! LOL

So just to focus my growing addiction to gecko's...what's the real difference between leopard gecko's and crested gecko's as far as housing, food types, size at maturity, ability to be handled, ability to be properly sexed, etc. Down the road I'd thought to get a couple of female leopard gecko's as they appeal to me but you all are so nuts about the cresties I'm sort of wondering if they are a better choice....comments?
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Blog Entries

How "stinky" are cresties? I know my beardie can leave a gosh-awful smell sometimes, especially if he poops on his basking rock under the heat lamp. Whew!! If I had cresties, I'd want to keep them out in the living room in an attractive viv....but that wouldn't fly at all if they're stinky.

~huddles with Jo in the anti-gecko corner~
    Good plan, Jo! Keep 'em talking about husbandry details and they won't have time to taunt us with cuteness!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    So just to focus my growing addiction to gecko's...what's the real difference between leopard gecko's and crested gecko's as far as housing, food types, size at maturity, ability to be handled, ability to be properly sexed, etc. Down the road I'd thought to get a couple of female leopard gecko's as they appeal to me but you all are so nuts about the cresties I'm sort of wondering if they are a better choice....comments?
    crested geckos are arboreal whereas leos are terrestrial, so you will need a taller cage for cresteds and a wider/longer cage for leos. leos require a warm spot of about 88 degrees with a thermal gradient to the cool side (similar to bps) whereas cresteds do no require heat and are fine in temps ranging from 65-80 degrees. leos can be fed a staple diet of mealworms, supplemented with crickets, roaches, wax worms etc. cresteds can be fed solely on a diet of t-rex crested gecko diet supplemented with mashed fresh fruits if you wish. they can also be fed crickets, wax worms (occassionally as a treat), roaches and phoenix worms. at adult size cresteds range from 30-60 grams, leos from 45-80+ grams (some females get to be big mommas ). leos can be sexed at 1 month of age, male cresteds at 3-6 months of age, female cresteds at 8-12 months of age. some breeders can properly sex female cresteds earlier, but most will not guarantee the sex to be female until the gecko is at least 9 months old. both are easily handled, cresteds possibly being the harder of the two to handle because they jump and are generally faster moving than leos.

How "stinky" are cresties? I know my beardie can leave a gosh-awful smell sometimes, especially if he poops on his basking rock under the heat lamp. Whew!! If I had cresties, I'd want to keep them out in the living room in an attractive viv....but that wouldn't fly at all if they're stinky.
    beardies can leave some serious STANK! cresteds are not stinky at all. the only reason you would notice a smell with them is if you leave cgd in the tank too long and it starts to mold or if you let their enclosure get too wet without a chance to dry out and it gets moldy. of course, if you put your head down into the tank and take a deep breath right after one of the geckos poops you are probably going to notice something but it is insanely minor compared to the smell that will fill the entire room after your beardie relieves himself. i have a half a room full of crested cages in an enclosed bedroom and the room doesn't stink a bit.
    - Emily

Thanks

Judy and Jo!! You know you want a crestie or two or three.... or more.....
    *Jeanne*

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast