Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,162

0 members and 3,162 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Petco Adoption

Thanks

Petco Adoption

I went to taco bell to get some food and decided to drop by the local petco. I saw there was a sign on the gecko cage about adoption. I asked someone about it and they got this little guy out.

Funny how losing a tail makes it worthless to them. He's about 17g and looked pretty healthy. I really like the partial pin on him. He lost the tail this morning what can I put on the stub to keep out infection.

Thanks

Re: Petco Adoption

I think a little antibiotic ointment without the painkiller stuff in it. It should heal up fine. Nice find!! I love the partial pinstriping.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I thimk he is just adorable!!! I wouldn't call him worthless. You just found him before me. Good luck with new kid.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

gmonkey, I'm not trying razz you, or side with Petco, it's just that I worked there for six years and am very familiar with the adoption animals policy as I have adopted many animals there myself. Geckos like that are not "worthless" like you say, it's just that the company made a decision to not sell "imperfect" animals(meaning animals that were missing any body parts), but instead, adopt them out to a good home. So, if a gecko happened to lose a tail because an inexperienced person handled it,or we got an animal come in missing an appendage or eye,or if someone just dropped off an animal because they didn't want it anymore, we were not allowed to sell it. I think that these cases are win-win situations, as the animal gets to go to a good home, and the adopter gets a free animal.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

I just think its not the right signal to be sending with these geckos that if they have no tail then its imperfect. Tail loss is very common with cresties and almost all wild adults have no tails. I just think that putting it in back and letting the stub heal and then selling it later would be fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Prob is, most if not all the customers I have ever dealt with woundn't want to buy geckos missing their tails. Oh, and if the gecko you adopted had a cut or sore, they shoudn't have let you do so, as the policy is that we can only adopt out healthy animals....if an animal is injured or sick in any way, it must go to the vets asap, and be kept in the back and treated until it is well, and then it can be adopted. obviously, they weren't following policy.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

regardless, that is a very nice looking crested! skip the ointment on the tail stub and just clean it with some chlorhexadine/novalsan solution and make sure its enclosure stays extra clean while it heals. just dab it with the solution tonight and then once a day for the next few days and it should be fine.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady
    gmonkey, I'm not trying razz you, or side with Petco, it's just that I worked there for six years and am very familiar with the adoption animals policy as I have adopted many animals there myself. Geckos like that are not "worthless" like you say, it's just that the company made a decision to not sell "imperfect" animals(meaning animals that were missing any body parts), but instead, adopt them out to a good home. So, if a gecko happened to lose a tail because an inexperienced person handled it,or we got an animal come in missing an appendage or eye,or if someone just dropped off an animal because they didn't want it anymore, we were not allowed to sell it. I think that these cases are win-win situations, as the animal gets to go to a good home, and the adopter gets a free animal.

Thank you very much. I happen to work at Petco.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonkey51
    I just think its not the right signal to be sending with these geckos that if they have no tail then its imperfect. Tail loss is very common with cresties and almost all wild adults have no tails. I just think that putting it in back and letting the stub heal and then selling it later would be fine.

We dont adopt out animals that were shipped to the store, dude. People bring them in that dont want them any more, we cant sell an animal that wasnt originally shipped to us from a wholesaler or another store that was overstocked. Its not that the crestie was in fact unsellable, but it was the fact that it wasnt originally belonging to the store. You are painting this picture where you believe that Petco had a crestie without a tail, so they put it up for adoption. As to what you see is "fine", your ideas and concerns really dont hold water in that area seeing that you dont write the store policies for Petco. We take care of each animal as if it were our own, and we really do put animals first.

Funny how losing a tail makes it worthless to them.
    Dont jump to conclusions or assume anything, most of the time when people do that they end up with their foot in their mouth. Nothing angers me more than the fact that people want to generalize pet stores because of a few bad expiriences...i agree that there are a LOT of pet stores out there that dont take care of the animals that they have, but not at my store. So Petco haters of the world should collectively get off their high horses and realize that generalization and pigeonholing everything just doesnt work in real life.

-Lucifer

Thanks

He was in the same cage as all the others for sale, the lady stood there and told me that he lost his tail that morning at the store and he went up for adoption. I could tell the tail stub was fresh and I had no reason to not believe her. As well as you say Petco takes care of their animals I have seen and heard many things that contradict that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast