Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,346

1 members and 3,345 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Typical Clutch Size

I was wondering if an average 6-8 egg clutch would fit in a 6 quart Sterilite?

I'm sure it would if you could separate them, but what are the dimensions of a clump of 6-8 eggs? Also, is it imperative that they don't touch the sides of the box?

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    I was wondering if an average 6-8 egg clutch would fit in a 6 quart Sterilite?

I'm sure it would if you could separate them, but what are the dimensions of a clump of 6-8 eggs? Also, is it imperative that they don't touch the sides of the box?
    Super important that the eggs don't touch the sides ... the sides of the box can become wet with condensation (especially during the last 2 weeks of incubation) and water will kill your eggs.

The 6qt box should be enough floor space for the eggs, but my concern would be the height ... I prefer a substantial amount of medium when I incubate my eggs and if the clutch is "stacked" by the female you might not be able to get the top on.

Also, I don't like to separate eggs if I don't have to ... lots of times the point that they were stuck together will mold if you separate them.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    The 6qt box should be enough floor space for the eggs, but my concern would be the height ... I prefer a substantial amount of medium when I incubate my eggs and if the clutch is "stacked" by the female you might not be able to get the top on.

Also, I don't like to separate eggs if I don't have to ... lots of times the point that they were stuck together will mold if you separate them.
    Thanks, Adam! I kind of suspected that about touching the sides. I didn't know that about separating them, though! I've read that if they were "set" to just leave them alone, but I didn't think there would be a problem if you got them right away.

Also, I'm not sure about the height, but I was going to try and use the no-sub method with a layer of saturated vermiculate underneath egg crate. Have you tried the no-sub method before? It seems like it would take a lot of the potential problems out of the equation, especially for us noobs.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Thanks, Adam! I kind of suspected that about touching the sides. I didn't know that about separating them, though! I've read that if they were "set" to just leave them alone, but I didn't think there would be a problem if you got them right away.

Also, I'm not sure about the height, but I was going to try and use the no-sub method with a layer of saturated vermiculate underneath egg crate. Have you tried the no-sub method before? It seems like it would take a lot of the potential problems out of the equation, especially for us noobs.
    Nope, never tried no-sub ... I've been sitting eggs on hand mixed to the touch vermiculite for 20 years with fantastic success ... couldn't imagine doing it any other way. Kind of an "if it ain't broke" thing I guess.

What potential problems are you worried about? I can't think of anything?

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

What potential problems are you worried about? I can't think of anything?
    I've seen a lot of noobs have problems with the medium getting too moist or too dry, then they try to fix the problem only to make it worse, etc. Or perhaps their incubator is drying the substrate out more than they thought. It seems like the no-sub method would eliminate those possibilities.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Question.....Why do breeders seperate the mother from her eggs? What the advantage of this?
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks

I've seen a lot of noobs have problems with the medium getting too moist or too dry, then they try to fix the problem only to make it worse, etc. Or perhaps their incubator is drying the substrate out more than they thought. It seems like the no-sub method would eliminate those possibilities.
    I don't think it's any harder/easier to incubate eggs with sub vs. no-sub ... if you're going to screw it up, you'll screw it up either way. Just because the eggs aren't sitting directly on the substrate doesn't mean that they can't try out if they are over ventilated or that they can't get wet if the air around them becomes over saturated. I think that the guys using no sub would do just as well with a medium if they'd just try.

Mixing vermiculite is sooo easy ... I don't see how it could be screwed up.

-adam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel's Balls
    Question.....Why do breeders seperate the mother from her eggs? What the advantage of this?
    I incubate my eggs manually because I can get the females back on food sooner ... not so much to get her up to breeding size the following season like many assume, but more to make sure her overall health is my top priority ... I'd rather loose a clutch of eggs than an adult proven breeder female.

I also find that incubators allow for a more stable controlled environment than my snake rooms. In my snake rooms I open windows, have people coming in and out, clean cages, there's always a lot going on ... not really the best environment for mothers incubating their eggs in my opinion. I only enter my incubator once or twice a day tops and the temps stay extremely stable and consistent.

I also can't stand the idea of not cleaning a females cage for 60 days!! ... The still urinate while they are on the eggs and the ammonia smell can't be good for them ... trying to clean around a female that is sitting on eggs can cause stress and really not in her best interest. Every snake in my collection gets cleaned at least once a week .... period!

I have NOTHING against maternal incubation at all ... if it works for you, AWESOME! ... it's just not for me.

-adam

Thanks

I incubate my eggs manually because I can get the females back on food sooner ... not so much to get her up to breeding size the following season like many assume, but more to make sure her overall health is my top priority ... I'd rather loose a clutch of eggs than an adult proven breeder female.

I also find that incubators allow for a more stable controlled environment than my snake rooms. In my snake rooms I open windows, have people coming in and out, clean cages, there's always a lot going on ... not really the best environment for mothers incubating their eggs in my opinion. I only enter my incubator once or twice a day tops and the temps stay extremely stable and consistent.

I also can't stand the idea of not cleaning a females cage for 60 days!! ... The still urinate while they are on the eggs and the ammonia smell can't be good for them ... trying to clean around a female that is sitting on eggs can cause stress and really not in her best interest. Every snake in my collection gets cleaned at least once a week .... period!

I have NOTHING against maternal incubation at all ... if it works for you, AWESOME! ... it's just not for me.

-adam
    Makes a lot of sense...from what you've said it seems like in captvity its just more practical to remove the female.....Thanks for all the quick responses!
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel's Balls
    Makes a lot of sense...from what you've said it seems like in captvity its just more practical to remove the female.....Thanks for all the quick responses!
    It is for me. Some of the small scale breeders like the simplicity of just leaving mom on the eggs and not having to worry about incubators and stuff ... just not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate their point of view.

-adam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast