Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

3 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

humidity/ substrate

Ok I have read zillions of posts thru the search mode and still get mixed answers so I just wanna present my issues and see what some of you regulars recommend.
    I have a T-11 AP cage w/ heat cable and two over head lights. Losing the lights is not an option as my house is cold as all get out. In the lamps I have the red bulbs 100 watt each. I use reptibark.
    I have to mist several times a day and still use mats or sponges to keep the humidity up to 50-55.
    I was looking for some options to help like maybe a different substrate or using che's instead of bulbs etc.
    I have looked into a pro-heat heat panel and a 65 watt 12"x18" was recommended but that may have to wait. I am still a little shy on those as I would hate to kick out the 120.00 for the panel and another 100.00 for the helix for it and it still not keep my boy warm enough and the humidity correct.

So any suggestions for the time being ??
    Thanks for any input.

( a T-11 is 48"x24"x18" )
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: humidity/ substrate

Well...I use the shredded coconut husk in a glass viv for now. I am also struggling to keep it warm enough, now that the AC is starting to run a lot (and spring just sprung here in AZ! LOL). But the humidity isn't too hard to keep up so long as I don't let the cage sit open for very long. (If I get her out, I have to put the lid right back on or all the humidity escapes.)

I don't open it often, and any time I do, I go ahead and spritz it. Humidity stays in the 50's with just that much effort. Gonna take a bit more when she goes into shed, though, I imagine.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Yes I only open the cage to give fresh water and to spritz.
    Every once in a while I bring the ole boy out to play but he is sooo laided back I hate to disrupt his chillin he has going on.

The coconut husk hold the spritz humidity all day or do you have to spray a few times a day? Also do u have overhead lights ?
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

It holds pretty good. I never spray more than once a day, and sometimes only every 2-3 days. I didn't originally set up for lights, but when the AC came on, it got chilly, so I have a lampstand next to the cage with two standard bulbs beaming in to keep the cool side warm enough. That has made it a little harder to keep the humidity where I want it, but not impossible.

At night, I cover the cage with a dark cloth, both to shut out any lights in the room as well as to insulate and hold in the heat against the night's chill.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Oh come on folks, help a sister out
    Someone has to have found the "answer"

Hit me with some suggestions
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

I had to start mixing the coconut husk w/the aspen because by itself it was TOO humid. I expanded it, and left it just squeezed out wet, then put it into the tank w/the heat lamps. When the humidity drops because the husk is dried out, I do one of two things (depending on time): 1) mix wet into the bedding, or 2.) pour water into the coconut/aspen and mix it all up until it's slightly damp.

The other thing U might consider is just leaving a humidity hide in the tank full-time. Then if snake feels it's too dry he can slither and self-regulate that way.

I too have problems with the humidity. My house is cold that w/o heat lamps to help the UTHs nobody would be warm enough on the "hot" side. These ideas help me. With my work schedule, I sometimes dont have time, or even forget (I HATE ST memory loss & chronic fatigue ) to mist. W/the wet coconut husk and h. hides, I don't have to mist much.

Good luck
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06