Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,134

2 members and 3,132 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Green Anaconda Trying to eat a dog (vid)

Hunting a hobby????
    Now that I love, Gee the snake was just hunting wasn't it?

I have a major problem w/ most hunters.
    And to call killing an animal a hobby is crazy talk.
    I am not a animal rights activist by any means but for someone to go ape over the video and then call there hobby hunting seems an oxy moron.

I was raised,lived and worked with hunters and most kill for the sake of killing something. And don't even get me started on the folks who go to the preserves to hunt cause that is a joke. Sorta like me filling my tub w/ fish and not feeding them for a week then dropping a line.

Video's like that only get folks who already have a problem going I don't think it is gonna sway any extra folks over to their cause. Like was stated we don't mind watching lions attack , or sharks or damn some folks even like to watch human executions. It's just nature.

Sorry don't mean to attack, guess it's just my soapbox when folks call hunting a hobby. Hunting was originally done to put food on the table. Thank God we now have supermarkets

If you don't want people to attack you about hunting maybe don't call it a hobby .
    Now I am done and will climb down off my soapbox
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

Let's keep it civil ok?

Hobbies take many forms.. whether it is keeping animals, hunting or collecting coins. If you wish to hunt for food or for trophy.. who are we to say it's wrong if it doesn't harm wild populations? (most will agree whitetail deer aren't going to become extinct!)

Remember, that supermarket meat was an animal that was killed too. Most wild animals that are hunted arguably lead a nicer life than an animal from a factory farm.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Hunting is also done to help wild populations. Remember most top predators have been eliminated. Thinning out herds are necessary for the survival of the entire group. I've seen too many white deer with brown spots not to believe that. I definitely support the use of that meat for the hunter or to be donated to local food shelters. You won't see me out there with a gun, but I respect those that do so responsibly.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Absolutely.. not to mention it's been shown that much of the private funding that goes to preserve land and help conserve wild populations comes from hunters/fishermen. They are the ones who care the most about it typically!

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jotay
    Hunting a hobby????
    Now that I love, Gee the snake was just hunting wasn't it?
    Sure hunting is a hobby. All the snake was doing was looking for food. That is all I do when I hunt. No difference, and there is nothing wrong with either. Maybe you misunderstood where I was coming from. I was urging people to stop the spread of videos that depict snakes in the manner of 'ruthless killers'. That kinda stuff adds to the fear and misunderstanding associated with snakes. Similarly, if some person were showing a video of a stupid hunter shooting up a bunch of deer at one time, I would urge them to stop spreading garbage like that because it portrays hunters as bad people. That kind of video would depict all hunters as ruthless killers and add to the hatred and misunderstanding of hunting.

I have a major problem w/ most hunters.
    And to call killing an animal a hobby is crazy talk.
    I am not a animal rights activist by any means but for someone to go ape over the video and then call there hobby hunting seems an oxy moron.
    You have a major problem with assuming that all people with one interest are the same...just like some people assume that all snakes are dangerous. Calling hunting a hobby is not "crazy talk". Proper hunting involves alot more than just 'killing'. I have had to learn how to do more things than you can imagine to hunt properly....Marksmanship practice, animal anatomy, gun care, local flora identification, animal behavior, GPS systems, reading a compass...i could go on and on about how I can identify almost every animal native to Louisiana by their tracks, the smell, consistancy, and shape of their feces, vocalizations, etc....I can even tell the diffence in the sounds created when animals are running(or walking) through the woods without even seeing them....devoting that much time to something and enjoying the parts of the activities makes hunting a hobby...

And like I said previously:

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    It seems like my two favorite hobbies are always under attack....hunting and snake keeping...i am just getting fed up.... in both situations it is always the idiots involved in the hobby that cause the problems, and the animal rights groups pushing for new laws. I was raised,lived and worked with hunters and most kill for the sake of killing something. And don't even get me started on the folks who go to the preserves to hunt cause that is a joke. Sorta like me filling my tub w/ fish and not feeding them for a week then dropping a line.
    It is the idoits and uneducated people that cause the problems. I know how to hunt properly, obey the 'laws of the jungle', and follow the state and federal laws. To lump every hunter in with people who are careless and out of hand...is 'crazy talk'. When it comes to hunting, it is the people that get outside of the boundaries of nature and the law that cause problems. Same goes for people keeping snakes.

Video's like that only get folks who already have a problem going I don't think it is gonna sway any extra folks over to their cause. Like was stated we don't mind watching lions attack , or sharks or damn some folks even like to watch human executions. It's just nature.
    You are correct. It is just nature. Those kind of videos also allow people that do not have any opinion to form one. All it takes is one negative impression and someone's opinion on a topic is swayed. Just like your opinion of hunting has been swayed by being around people that do so irresponsibly.

Sorry don't mean to attack, guess it's just my soapbox when folks call hunting a hobby. Hunting was originally done to put food on the table. Thank God we now have supermarkets

If you don't want people to attack you about hunting maybe don't call it a hobby .
    Now I am done and will climb down off my soapbox
    I will continue to call hunting a hobby because that is exactly what it is to me. Hunting puts food on my table. Like I said, I live by the 'rules of the jungle"....i.e. I eat what I kill. Thank god you do have supermarkets....I would hate if something bad were to happen in this country and people were forced to survive without them. Please do not group all hunters together as a stupid redneck collective. That kind of sterotype is what causes people to urge politicians to pass laws against hunting.....the same thing is being done to my other hobby, reptile keeping. People have a sterotype that reptiles are harmful....so they are urging laws to be passed to control them.

We are all entitled to our own opinion and I love discussing this kind of stuff. Glad you brought it up
    Last edited by daniel1983; 04-13-2006 at 11:45 PM. Reason: had a few typos...
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

My post was civil, please tell me where it was not?
    Why didn't I see that comment after the other rants and condeming of folks who posted the vid???
    Second read the post, like I said I am NOT an animal rights activist
    I just don't see how killing something can be called a hobby???
    Especially when the same folks will post about the horrid conditions of animals in Pet Stores or kept by folks who they don't deem fit. How they feel sorry for animals. Get my point ???
    Never said it was wrong said if they don't like being attack maybe they shouldn't call it a hobby. It's my opinion and it seems everyone else can post and rant their's why is there a problem with mine ??? Because it's not in agreement with everyone else??
    Like I have said in many posts Some on here need to lighten up.
    I am an avid Bass fisherperson but I don't call it a hobby and I release all my fish still very much alive.

I guess I see the way these boards have circled, it's ok to rant as long as it is the same rant as everyone else. PLEASE!
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow....is something in the air tonight, or what?

Jody, I really, really don't think Daniel was attacking your opinion or saying you were uncivil. He was simply stating his opinion in answer to yours. You don't think hunting should be called a "hobby"...he thinks its a perfectly valid thing to do. While I see the disagreement quite clearly, I really don't see the conflict here. Maybe I'm missing something.
    -- Judy

Thanks

My post was civil, please tell me where it was not?
    Why didn't I see that comment after the other rants and condeming of folks who posted the vid???
    Second read the post, like I said I am NOT an animal rights activist
    I just don't see how killing something can be called a hobby???
    Especially when the same folks will post about the horrid conditions of animals in Pet Stores or kept by folks who they don't deem fit. How they feel sorry for animals. Get my point ???
    Never said it was wrong said if they don't like being attack maybe they shouldn't call it a hobby. It's my opinion and it seems everyone else can post and rant their's why is there a problem with mine ??? Because it's not in agreement with everyone else??
    Like I have said in many posts Some on here need to lighten up.
    I am an avid Bass fisherperson but I don't call it a hobby and I release all my fish still very much alive.

I guess I see the way these boards have circled, it's ok to rant as long as it is the same rant as everyone else. PLEASE!
    I never said you were not being civil Sorry to make you think that. Please reread my post. Like I said, I love a good discussion on this topic. It is great to hear the 'other sides' opinion.....and I respect it. It helps me understand why people think so negatively about my hobby. Nothing that i said was ment to be 'uncivil' so I apologize if it seemed that way.

Back to the discussion, if you would like to continue.

If killing is involved in an action, does that make it not a hobby? You keep reptiles....are rodents killed somewhere in the process...you may not do it but it is done somewhere along the lines. To say that is ok but that killing another animal in a hobby that you do not take part in is kind of hypocritical.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Daniel,
    First off I said "most" not all. to say all would be a sterotype.
    I wasn't attacking you by any means. Like in the past post I am an avid Bass fisher who competes locally and statewide. I understand about all you have to do and know about hunting. Everyone I know hunts,period.
    I just think refering to killing anything a hobby puts a negitive spin on it, follow where I am going with his? ( oh and my last post was not aimed at you or your counter post )
    Kinda like you want folks to stop making snakes look like ruthless killers?? Same could be said of outdoors folks who hunt or fish and call it a hobby.
    I think that's what gets most people up in arms.
    That's why I just say I fish and leave the hobby part out and I don't even kill and eat my catch it's all released and if one would die you lose points in the tourney.
    And by know means did I think or refer to you or any hunter as a redneck.
    Hunting may involve a lot but the end results are they same, it's all done to kill ( a rose by anyother name would still smell as sweet).

My post wasn't an attack at you it was just IMO like a whole lot of posts on here are.

Hunt a way I have no problem with it, well ok I do have a problem with the "controled hunts" you know like the type of hunt our VP was on when he shot his friend That just doesn't seem fair.

How do you feel about that type??
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

judy,
    My post wasn't aimed at Daniels, it was aimed at Shelby who told me to keep it civil. I thought it was civil. And I was just taken back at how my 1st post/ soapbox was called out to keep civil when no others where, just a little confused, that's all.

When have you ever seen me on here not to respect others or be civil??

It's all good!!
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast