Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,466

1 members and 3,465 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Green Anaconda Trying to eat a dog (vid)

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel's Balls

Legislators like this because its also a great way for the government to get extra revenue from the permit fees.....in fact that probably the real reason why so many of them are for it!

I really don't think that is it. I am pretty sure that any revenue from these permits go to the LA conservation fund. These politicians are voting for it because they are uneducated on the topic and are being pestered by animal activists. Creating a bill that is so general like this.....they are going to have to hire new people to process the permits, space to file them, time for inspections to take place, etc....no extra money there....the permits probably wont even pay for themselves. You have to really think about the range of reptiles that this effects....basically every snake in the pet trade. and you also have to be aware of how many people own smaller constrictors....

I am not for censorship......however, because in the long run its education about reptiles and reason that makes people un-fearful of snakes.....

No one said anything about censorship. Education is about effort. It is alot easier for someone to watch a 3 min video clip of a snake biting a person or constricting a dog and forming an opinion, than for them to research an animal and open their mind. I only asked for people not to spread this trash.....that is not censorship.

Personally, I don’t think anyone expect zoos, museums, and research facilities should own a hot snake or a snake as big as an anaconda.....these animals belong in the wild.
    Thats how it gets started....then it develops into noone should own any reptiles because they belong in the wild.

The current qualifications to own venomous snakes or constrictors over 12 feet in Louisiana consist of getting 500 hours of approved handling and care experience, having your enclosure inspected by the DWF, applying for the permit and paying the fee, and risking not being able to own these animals if something were to happen. I see nothing wrong with those qualifications. But putting those qualifications on someone that want to own a ball python is just crazy.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    I really don't think that is it. I am pretty sure that any revenue from these permits go to the LA conservation fund. These politicians are voting for it because they are uneducated on the topic and are being pestered by animal activists. Creating a bill that is so general like this.....they are going to have to hire new people to process the permits, space to file them, time for inspections to take place, etc....no extra money there....the permits probably wont even pay for themselves.

You right here....butthe same uneducated politicians are so stupid they probably dont really think about the finances of it real closely...
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

the anaconda was only doing what they do... hunt and eat. we watch nature channel shows on wasps attacking a bees nest and no one gets all crazy about it... i personally think we all put ourselves waaaaay too high on the list of importance on this planet. each creature deserves the same right to survive.

we have taken away their natural habitat and then hate them when they come into "ours" - when in reality, we've taken 99% of this planet as "ours".

rant over...
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

no i lied... i'm not done ranting.

having the gov't come into a hobbyists home and decide whether or not we are giving good care and safe environments to our critters is wrong wrong wrong.

okay now i think i'm done.

okay no i'm not... and i agree with everything said in this thread.

there, now i'm done.

for now...
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    the anaconda was only doing what they do... hunt and eat. we watch nature channel shows on wasps attacking a bees nest and no one gets all crazy about it... i personally think we all put ourselves waaaaay too high on the list of importance on this planet. each creature deserves the same right to survive.

we have taken away their natural habitat and then hate them when they come into "ours" - when in reality, we've taken 99% of this planet as "ours".

rant over...
    Totally agree...personally I dont think we should worry less about the spread of vids like that (cause with sites like Ebaum's world, YourTube its impossible to stop their spread anyway).....instead, we should be distrubed by the reaction that it ellicits in so many people......

They show vids of wild dogs hunting, elephant tramping people to death....and really no one gets upset....

Reptiles just have a bad rap, a bad preception....and that's what we need to change....they need to get better press and marketing overall as a taxa!
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess

Agreed. But you have to remember that ALOT of people do not understand that. They see a snake that is killing their pet poodle.

I read an article about some idiot beating an endangered black bear with a board because it was attacking a deer fawn. It is nature. But some people don't seem to understand that....they think all animals should cuddle with each other and eat plants.

Some people just dont understand....and never will.

It seems like my two favorite hobbies are always under attack....hunting and snake keeping...i am just getting fed up.... in both situations it is always the idiots involved in the hobby that cause the problems, and the animal rights groups pushing for new laws.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

As a person who owns three anacondas, I can very surely say these are highly misunderstoood animals. And yes, an experienced snake person CAN own them safely! The government has no business saying what animals a person can and can't own IMO.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Registered User The Cannibal Monkey's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow...I feel sorry for both of them =( I'm a huge dog lover, so I'm glad they saved it, but it's not like that poor snake knew any better....and killing it was just unnecessary....

Thanks

Anyone can have a kid, 15 year old, junkies ect. However, you need a liscence to have a car and possibly in the future a snake ... Hmmm, seems a lil odd to me?

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

If they're going to force people to have a liscence for owning a car or owning constrictors, then we should have to have a liscence to reproduce.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast