Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

3 members and 3,174 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Unhappy Homemade humidifier causeing more harm than good

I made the homemade humidifier today and have had too many problems that I just can't figure out. I am currently keeping my ball python in a 10 gallon tank ( I live in the dorms and dont have much space right now but next year I will have my own room. I plan on getting or constructing a larger terranium over the summer. ). I have over tank heaters, one for the day and one for the night. I covered the screen 2/3 of the way allowing the over tank heaters to do their thing and have been spraying it down. The substrate is newspaper and repti-carpet (for some weird reason my snake hates cypress). I decided to try out the humidifier but it ends up decreasing my humidity instead of increasing it. I have placed it in different corners and nothing seems to help. I don't know what to do, does anybody have any suggestions?! I would highly appreciate it!
    [frank]

[0.1 Ball Python (Sophie)]

[My Art]

Thanks

Re: Homemade humidifier causeing more harm than good

Ok first off the lamps are killing the humidity. I would get rid of those and get an under tank heater (flexwatt is good) and a thermostat to control it (this is necessary) you can get these things here: http://www.mgreptiles.com/

Why do you think your snakes hates cypress?

What is your humidifier that you're using?

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I really want to get an under tank heater but right now I don't have the money because of my architecture projects. I plan on doing that as soon as I get out for summer. I could usually keep the humidity at 45%-55% spraying it down a few times a day so I don't understand why the humidifier is causing a drop.

I bought the snake with a kit that came with cypress and she didn't really mind. I thought she had mites, which really turned out to be water blisters, so I took the cypress out and cleaned the tank. I bought the repti-carpet for the mean time. I returned to cypress a week later and when I put her in she freaked out, got on top of the hide and then went inside the hide without touching the cypress. I checked up on her a day or so later by taking off the hide and she was laying on the news paper I had put inside of the hide. I don't know if she got used to the repti-carpet or something along those lines but I plan on switchin to aspen when I go back home.

I'm using one just like the model here on the site. Same air pump, bottle, hose, etc. Should the hose that goes in the tank be emitting a decent pressure of humidity? I put my finger on the end of the hose and could barely feel anything.

BTW, I dig your art gallery .
    [frank]

[My Art]

Thanks

You know I somehow missed that humidifier.. I don't use that kind. What I'd do is make a humidity chamber. It's essentially a plastic container with a lid (like a small tupperware, or margarine tub - whatever) with a hole cut in the side or top so the snake can get inside it. The container has a bit of moist sphagnum moss in it. If you do a search for 'humid hide' you'll come up with a ton of links on here.

April

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by renaissanceguey
    BTW, I dig your art gallery .
    ..oh and thanks.

April

Thanks

Thank you so much! I'll definitly do that. I'll just keep playing with the humidifier, maybe I'll stumble upon a solution to my problem.

Haha, it's my pleasure
    [frank]

[My Art]