Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

0 members and 3,119 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Running water feature w/filtration?

Has anybody ever done a running water feature inside a snake cage? I think it would be neat to have a little waterfall or something into the snake's soak pond, but need help finding a water pump and suitable filter. I checked out the fish tank filters, but they all get their water by sucking it out of the top of the tank...

Also, with a charchoal filter, would the water still need to be changed daily, or would that extend it out to every several days/once a week, and an extra change if it poops in the water?

Thanks

Re: Running water feature w/filtration?

I can't think of anyone who uses anything similar offhand. My biggest concern would be that you couldn't disinfect it.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

....what ever you put in a snakes enclosure, make sure you can securely fasten it to the enclosure and that there is no holes ANYWHERE for your snake to get in any of the parts....a ball python will get in, pull down, and/or break just about any unsecure 'features' that are put inside of their enclosures...and since water will be involved, your little godzilla might flood the enclosure with all that water being pumped around...

IMHO...if you want a flowing water feature, get an aquatic turtle in a seperate tank and put any water attraction you want in there.......ball pythons are from the grassland and live in holes...they don't need waterfalls
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

I think that a waterfall would freak most snakes out. In the wild, a snake may come across moving falling water, but I seriously doubt being forced to chill next to one 24/7 can be a good thing. E for effort though!
    -Brad

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

you can actually buy waterfalls made espescially for herps but those are more for geckos/chameleons.

i read an article in reptiles magazine about a BP that got stuck in one of those waterfalls for two weeks until the owner finally cut the waterfall open and accidentally cut her BP at the same time.

i personally wouldn't use one for a BP.
    -marshall

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Tracon, I have done this......
    i have a fountain in my big girl's cage...it does however have downfalls...fora a filter, Zoomed makes small submersible filter which is what i used..If I can, I'll find out what it was called. It worked and looked awaesome, but the problem was that Hermione liked the moving water over her back, and she would lay on the fountain sometimes and the water would trickle over her back and out of the fountain, into the bedding soaking it. It was a pain-in-the-you-know-what to clean out her cage almost every day. she enjoys the fountain, but i have just stuck to plugging it in when i have company..ya' know, for looks. She has never pooped in it, but i would want to clean and sanitize it the minute she does!
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

I had a waterfall in with rex for a couple of days, but he sat in the bottom to soak which ended up making the water overflow, then he figured out he could squeeze behind it and sit where the filter was... needless to say i reverted to a good old fashioned bowl for him. I do have the waterfall in with my aboreal tree boa and he seems to enjoy it. He crawls all over it and I even caught him drinking from it once. He gets misted daily so he never soaks. But I would nix the idea for a python or boa... Just too hard to keep clean and too hard for them to use.