Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,564

1 members and 2,563 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to Rant

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Need to Rant

Wow, I'm pretty upset right now. There is a reptile rescue organization around my area, who has just gotten in an adult BP. I inquired, asked some questions, and being the honest person I am, mentioned that I would like to get into breeding this year. This is just part of the response I got from that:

***Though I'm sorry to say, we are not
    looking to place this reptile into any sort of a breeding project. We are
    trying to save the ones that are out there currently who are not being
    cared for, not add to them.***

I *guess* i understand if they don't want the animal to be breed (okay, I don't), but what a response!!

The poor thing was in a 55 with feces from like 4 months ago, with an uncontrolled UTH and a light. He has a pretty bad looking retained eyecap, and isn't eating too well. I wonder why?!?!

I'm so upset right now... I will probably be one of the only ones who knows how to properly care for the royal (thats to this forum BTW!) and will be the only one Definatly NOT getting the snake.
    I just wanted to give this snake a good home and get it cared for, but I guess breeding is a terrible, terrible thing.

Thanks

Re: Need to Rant

Though that response is rude and uninformed about responsible breeding, it's pretty common. Most rescues whether it's dogs, cats, reptiles, etc. either spay/neuter all rescues or require you sign a non-breeding contract.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Personally I think that was a short to the point response. Not rude. But it states the policy in a way that it can't easily be twisted to mean anything else. And it is totally comoon practice for rescue groups to insure that no breding will be done with rescued animals. Better thing for you would be to print up a caresheet, and offer to do its care(ie cleaning the tank, etc) to better its conditions, thereby displaying your care for the species to them, and insuring that the snake itself will be comfortable until it has a new proper home. Your information about the proper care, printed out in an easy to read way, will impres them and most likely cause them to realize that you are not a backyard get-rich-quick type moron, but a caring concerned eprson who loves the snakes. Keeping a good rep in the local humane and rescue centers is always a grea thing, and who knows, at some point you may even be asked to foster snakes in the future, which gets you introduced to future snake owners and lets you insure that they get great homes.
    I try to stay in contact with the local rescues, even though most are only dog and cat ones, in case they have exotics. I have been given about 50 different fish because they haven't a clue what to do with them, and the people were going to throw them into the local lakes..(EEK NEVER NEVER DO THAT!) and I placed them out with people who wanted that type, or got them nice and healthy and took them to the local fish store for them to sell or place out themselves. I never have told htem, that *I* personally would keep them either, they knew I would not, but also know I won't be tossing them down the toliet or worse into the local ecosystem.
    Contact them more, tell them you want to incure it is geting good care, and htat you understand some people are nervous about handing them. You can soak that eyecap off, and clean that cage as a volunteer I am sure!
    Wolfy(glad to hear of people who ARE concerned about the needs of rescues!)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here's the letter i wrote back:

Dear_______,
    As hard as it seemed that you tried not to be discourteous, it was impossible to not be offended by some of your statements. I wanted the animal whether it was a male or female, and if you did read the letter, you would have seen that I wanted to get the BP in better health and give it a good, loving home. I can almost garentee that I am more qualified than anyone out there to take care of this BP; I know anything and everything about the care and well-being of this one particular species, and have everything it needs here. Every single one of my royals is taken out and handled and loved, like one of the family. They are my babies! They all have names, not some breeding ID number attached to them.
    As for breeding, I'm just curious of why this is of concern to you. Is it maltreatment you're worried about, or just the act of the snake breeding? If it was male, would it bother you if he bred, or is just a female laying eggs that bothers you? I would like to understand more from your standpoint on breeding.

As for the animal itself and the information you have given me:
    -sounds like he's a pretty good weight for the condition he was in.

-It's not suprising that he's not eating well right now, due to the conditions he was in and the sudden move to somewhere new. Ususally one should wait about a week or so to try and feed a newly aquired royal. They also do not eat when they are in shed (generally, although I have 1 little moster who will eat no matter what!) They also need a temperature gradient, with one side at like 92 and the other side 82 (no less, they cant digest properly otherwise!), which he probably didn't have and is probably another component causing his eating problems.

-I'm suprised he is not burned by the under tank heater. They *need* to be controlled by a special thermostat or worst case, rheostat or dimmer, and the temps need to be monitored by a digital thermometer...those things can get up to 120 degrees! Who knows what the temperatures were in that cage.

-The light is what caused the humidity problem. If those eyecaps are built up, it may not come off from one shed, however, more than likely, it will.
    -as for the sex, i really don't care. Male or female, I just want to give it a good home!

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this, and I really wish you would reconsider. If you need any help with anything with the royal, let me know and I will be more than willing to try.

Thank you,
    Ginger

I tried not to be rude, but i was very hurt by the comment.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

That is an AWESOME reply. My god, I wish I could write replies that came off that calm, controlled and profesional. Good advice given in a non-condescending manner.. I am just impressed to no end, my brother the lawyer can't draft such good coorespondance.
    Impressed is,
    wolfy

Registered User The Cannibal Monkey's Avatar
    Thanks

It's really great that you're work up a relationship with these people and get some good communication going =) That alone should be enough for them to AT LEAST give you a second thought ^__^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

A couple of things I've learned over the years ...

1. Never tell an animal rescue that you plan on breeding anything.

2. Never tell a pet store that the rodents you are buying are for feeders.

3. Never laughingly tell a bartendar that you're "so loaded that you can't see straight".

4. Never tell a woman that she looks "ok" or "alright".

5. When asked if you've been drinking, never tell a cop that you've had a couple of beers but your "fine".

6. Never tell a stipper that you just got paid.

7. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

8. And finally, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

(anybody catch it? )

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    A couple of things I've learned over the years ...

1. Never tell an animal rescue that you plan on breeding anything.

2. Never tell a pet store that the rodents you are buying are for feeders.

3. Never laughingly tell a bartendar that you're "so loaded that you can't see straight".

4. Never tell a woman that she looks "ok" or "alright".

5. When asked if you've been drinking, never tell a cop that you've had a couple of beers but your "fine".

6. Never tell a stipper that you just got paid.

7. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

8. And finally, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

(anybody catch it? )

-adam
    WOOT! Great advice there! And you gotta love a man who can quote "The Princess Bride!"
    -- Judy

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

I really admire your dedication and your perseverance. Love for these beautiful creatures as well as respect is key in their survival.

Thank YOU for being so strong in your convictions.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks

Wow Adam. I'm impressed. You're much smarter than I thought.

I also couldn't stop laughing when I hit 7, and already had 8 streaming through my head before I read it.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast