Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

3 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pied-$$??

Registered User shavemycoinpurse's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Pied-$$??

One thing about the pied is that they are extremely variable in appearance.

So a collector who is into pieds is going to likely want a little of each (high-white, med-white, low-white).

The other thing about price to consider is that people will either charge what the market demands or what they are comfortable with in terms of profit. If you want to charge $1,000 less than the "going-rate" - that's your perogative as the seller. There will always be a lower price, given the demand though - I'd say this is a seller's market.

Going the possible Het/Het route is definately taking the conservative route - it really comes down to how quickly you want to produce visible morphs.

Registered User MARCUS ANTONIUS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssscales
    Same thing for Spiders, just a few months back $5000 seemed to be the benchmark. Now, I see them for $3000-$3500, which means $2800 when you get down to it. Is it desperation in some sellers?
    Sorry, but I didn't really understand this... What does "$2800 when you get down to it" mean? Does that mean profits - costs = $2800? I just didn't really get it....
    Jeremy

You Might Be a Herper if...
    You're standing in the pet store checkout line with your purchase in hand & the person behind you says "Oh, they're so cute! Do they make good pets?" and you reply, "These? Hmmm. Actually, I have no idea...I never thought about that..."
    - Kevin McCurley, NERD

Banned
    Thanks

All fun a side, I don't think I got an answer to the price tag or expected price tag of Pied's this year end? I know there is nothing set in stone, but what is the expected going rate for a nice 06 Piebald?

Thanks

my guess for a "nice" pied from a good breeder 5-6k?

vaughn

Thanks

I think what some of you are forgetting is that not everyone who sells is a big breeder. If Adam is selling a pastel for $1200, and I want to sell one just like his, I cant list it at $1200 or people will buy his instead of mine, because of his reputation, and it is well deserved.

The problem is, I have 3 snakes, and still need to sell mine. So instead i sell mine for $1000. I dont have the rep, I dont have the fancy boxes, but I'm still an honest guy, so Im hoping to at least get near market price.

Would you consider that undercutting? Or trying to make a quick buck? I wouldnt.
    bryan

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARCUS ANTONIUS
    Sorry, but I didn't really understand this... What does "$2800 when you get down to it" mean? Does that mean profits - costs = $2800? I just didn't really get it....
    What I meant was, usually when a seller is showing desperation out the gate by advertising a $4000-$5000 snake for example (assuming it's not a scam) for $3000 or offering some weekend sale after 3 days. Once you get that seller on the phone and offer $2800 via paypal to their account before the call is over, you'll probably get it for $2800.

You'd be surprised what the words "PayPal" can do to some sellers.
    It's like the guy who will take $500 cash Vs a check for $600.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssscales
    usually when a seller is showing desperation out the gate by advertising a $4000-$5000 snake for example (assuming it's not a scam) for $3000 or offering some weekend sale after 3 days.
    You've made a great point.

If a seller has to drop prices and under cut the market out of desperation, what do you think that seller is going to do if something happens during shipping and the snake shows up dead? How about if your "cheap" investment dies 3 days after you get it, or shows up with RI?

Do you think it will be easy to get a refund? Or do you think that the seller is going to b!tch and moan and avoid your calls because he "needs" that money?

Also, how much time do you think that seller is going to spend with you if you have problems months or years later getting that animal to breed? Do you think that the guy/gal is going to spend hours on the phone with you going over "secrets" for getting males/females "in the mood" and doing their thing?

A deal is only a deal if EVERYTHING goes perfectly. For me, I'd rather pay a little bit more and do business with someone that is going to stand behind their animal.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Do you think that the guy/gal is going to spend hours on the phone with you going over "secrets" for getting males/females "in the mood" and doing their thing?
    There are secrets?! Damn, I have to get you on the horn!

-Lawrence

Thanks

I think when it comes down to it there are 4 types of people that do this.

1. the scammer
    2. the questionable breeder trying to get rid of the animal
    3. the person that is having financial problems
    4. the small time breeder trying to get his name out there

It is our job as consumers to find out where they fall into these categories and decide if the gain outweighs the risk with each. I personally would be more comfortable making the purchase if they fell into category 4.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    I think when it comes down to it there are 4 types of people that do this.

1. the scammer
    2. the questionable breeder trying to get rid of the animal
    3. the person that is having financial problems
    4. the small time breeder trying to get his name out there

It is our job as consumers to find out where they fall into these categories and decide if the gain outweighs the risk with each. I personally would be more comfortable making the purchase if they fell into category 4.
    The problem is how do you differentiate? I don't think the answer to getting your name out there is undercutting the competition. Become active on the forums, answer questions for people and show through your actions that you are a quality person and worth dealing with.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast