Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

3 members and 3,371 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pied-$$??

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Pied-$$??

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Why does the price have to go down?

-adam
    I would imagine with all the designer stuff Pied's could be added too, price would hold steady, at least. But that doesn't seem to be the case, at least based on KS.

That's why I'm asking the question, where do you see this going this year?

Thanks

I never understood why some people do that. It's a small timers mentality ... I guess they figure that their sales and marketing skills $uck so I'll drop the price and sell it cheap.

I didn't drop prices on a single mutation this year, and I'm almost sold out.

I actually charged more for pastels, albinos and het albinos, and het hypos this year than I did last year.

If it doesn't sell as a hatchling at my set price, it will fly out of here as an adult at the same price.

-adam
    Its not my mentality and I don't necessarily agree with it, but it happens.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

If it doesn't sell as a hatchling at my set price, it will fly out of here as an adult at the same price.

-adam
    Now how's that for perfect marketing??? I can hardly wait until I'm saying the same thing!!
    -- Judy

Banned
    Thanks

That's the smart thing to do, price it and let it sit, enjoy it!

Really, how much is it costing you to house and feed that snake for 6-12mo? If it doesn't fetch $1000 this week, it will fetch $1000+ in 3-6-12 months when all it cost you was a few bucks to feed!

But most of the time I see ads starting at $1000 for example on Monday and by Friday..."Weekend special $850, shipped!". Two weeks later "48hr sale, $750 SHIPPED!!!".

Thanks

those ads crack me up! i'd never buy from them. when purchasing an animal that expensive, i'd like it to have premium care and handling. if a person takes top care of an animal, they are not going to low ball it asap. i'm very cautious of deals that are"to good to be true". most times there is something up, especially when dealing with livestock.

vaughn

Thanks

I wouldn't buy 95% of what's advertised on KS. Those ads are everywhere. Buy from established, quality breeders. It will mean spending more cash but its well worth it.

Banned
    Thanks

That's why when I saw those 1st Pied's for around $3500. I started thinking "too good too be true", but I've seen a few already at those prices. I start wondering, do you take advantage of this desperation? Then I think to myself, there is a reason that $5000 snake is being pushed out the pool at a loss. That's not to say there aren't great deals out there, but you usually get what you pay for.

I'd rather wait a bit more or pay a little more and get high end morphs from a solid breeder Vs saving a few bucks and buying from a seller who's willing to take a couple hundred dollar loss on his animal for reasons he only knows.

You rarely, if ever see Ralph Davis, Mike Wilbanks, Pete Khal or Bob Clark selling on KS. Occasionally I'll see NERD and VPI classifieds on there, but they set their prices and let it sit for weeks, if not months. I've seen boas from NERD being classified for 6-8 months at a set price. It gets removed for a few weeks and the next time you see it, it's been bumped up a couple hundred bucks!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kavmon
    those ads crack me up! I'd never buy from them.

vaughn
    Those classifieds are funny!

Monday-Thursday $1200 + S&H for this beautiful snake.
    Friday comes around... $750 shipped or show special $550 delivered to show".

Or

Those weekend sales, Christmas sale, New Years Eve Sale, Thanks Giving Sale, July 4th sale. You know to keep going when you see a price tag go from $2000 down to $800 in the same classified!! I keep expecting to see the Wal-Mart slashing prices in a KS ad!

Thanks

Maybe in my newbieness I over-simplify this stuff but it makes no sense to me to wildly undercut the market. Isn't this the same market you want to be selling your next years clutches in? If you are thinking long term why would you want to destablize or drive down prices just to make a fast buck? Actually I guess I just answered my own question, those folks aren't thinking long term are they?

What does it hurt a breeder to hold on to quality unsold snakes? I figure if I had a nice albino male that didn't sell (scuse me whilst I have a moment to drool over the idea of having my own albino sold or unsold lol)...anyways...why would I sell him cheap-o? I figure every day that snake grows, every rat he eats is one day closer to his breeding age and I've just saved my potential client some time haven't I? Seems to me that snakes don't devalue over time, their value grows so why in the world mess with a reasonably stable market. Well unless you like crying in your beer (and all over the internet) about the "unstable ball python" market that funny enough you helped create.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Maybe in my newbieness I over-simplify this stuff but it makes no sense to me to wildly undercut the market. Isn't this the same market you want to be selling your next years clutches in? If you are thinking long term why would you want to destablize or drive down prices just to make a fast buck? Actually I guess I just answered my own question, those folks aren't thinking long term are they?

What does it hurt a breeder to hold on to quality unsold snakes? I figure if I had a nice albino male that didn't sell (scuse me whilst I have a moment to drool over the idea of having my own albino sold or unsold lol)...anyways...why would I sell him cheap-o? I figure every day that snake grows, every rat he eats is one day closer to his breeding age and I've just saved my potential client some time haven't I? Seems to me that snakes don't devalue over time, their value grows so why in the world mess with a reasonably stable market. Well unless you like crying in your beer (and all over the internet) about the "unstable ball python" market that funny enough you helped create.
    I totally agree with you there. I think the majority of people who are selling the animals far under the "market" price are just in the business to make a quick buck (just my opinion). Ive been working all month on a business plan, taking into acount what happens if the snakes dont sell right away, just more snakes to breed. Why would someone want to sell something for a price when they know that they can get more out off it? I just think these people are living in the "moment" when it comes to selling snakes. Thinking when they mark it that low that it will sell right away. Just my

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast