Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

2 members and 3,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Baytrill Injections Not going So good :(

Ok so i got buttercup (8.5 foot male burm) 3 weeks ago, when i got him he had a noticeable wheeze, due to the idoit that had him not giving him the proper heat. Anyways we uped his tempertures immensily and the wheeze began to subside significantly, when we got his appt with the vet about a week ago she gace me baytril injecions that he needs every 3 days. Im sure most of you know what baytril is, well she showed me how to give the injecions since it would be nearly immposible to drive 2 and half hours each way for her to do it. Tonight would be there 3rd injection but my one helper seems " too busy anymore" and the other has become very ill with something i cant prenounce. So as of right now I have absolutly no one to help me admister the needles. Driving 5 hours to get the needle isnt exactly the ideal situation. Im wondering if there is another way that baytrill can be given to snakes besides injections, ive read about the oral doses but i know my snake isnt just gonna chew it up. I was wondering about other possibiltys about giving it.Possibly injecting a (dead) rodent, or putting the pill in the rodents mouth? something along that line. Im doubtful about it but id still like to ask. It is after vet hours right now and she wont be back untill monday. The after hours clinics around here know abosolutly nothign about reptiles so I figure I would pop the question here. Thanks guys

Thanks

Re: Baytrill Injections Not going So good :(

Giving Baytril orally does not have as good an effect as injections.. injecting is really the best way to give it.

Are you uncomfortable giving the injections by yourself? Does the snake react negatively for the injections? I have (unfortunately) given many shots to snakes and have had no trouble giving them myself.. this includes my 21lb dumerils boa.

If you do not feel comfortable doing it on your own though, don't push yourself. Try and see if you can't find someone to help you.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

he reacts horribly to the injections, and i know he needs them but as i have only had him 3 weeks i dont fully trust him(yet) to do it myself, he absolutly hates it and i need at least one other person to help hold him steady or it is immopsible to give it to him, the last few times we had 3 people and we still had a hell of time to get him to stay still.i have called everyone i can call, i even called some local vets that dont do reptiles to ask if i could bring him in for the vet techs or whoever to hold him down and they wont. Everyone else i know wants nothign to do with a big snake and needles.

Thanks

That's too bad.. baytril is more painful than some of the other antibiotics. It's pretty strong and can burn and even cause scar tissue. I don't blame the big guy for not liking it.

Your vet showed you to do the injection in the first third of the body (probably about 2' down from the head on your snake) on either side of the spine in the muscle? Not straight up and down.. at an angle and between the scales (this makes it easier)

Just making sure you were taught correctly.. I haven't had a snake react that negatively to a shot before.

April

Thanks

You can give the injectable stuff orally just fine, I have for quite a long time with no ill effects. What strength is it? 22.7mg/ml or 100mg/ml? How big is the dose you are supposed to be injecting?

You can always get a needleless syringe, draw up your dose as normal, and then restrain his head and inject it into his throat. Then hold his mouth closed and tilt his head up. You can always dilute it with water to make it less irritating.

You can get good-sized needles and syringes at your local drug store or at a feed store. 18-20g are good sizes and 3ml syringes should be enough.

What we do with all large animals is, rub very firmly in the place you are going to inject, then all of a sudden push the needle in the muscle, quickly withdraw to ensure that you didn't hit a vein/artery and inject the medicine. All in all takes me about a second to do all of that. Rubbing the area desensitizes him to the needle a bit and will help him not react that way.

If you do decide to give it orally, do not feed him during this time. He is more likely to regurgitate and that would just set him back even further.

I hope this has helped some and please be sure to ask questions if you need help.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

in between 2 scales at an angle into the muscle tissue a little bit above a 3rd down his body is what i was tought (basicaly what you just said lol) , he doesnt freak out untill i start to inject poor guy.......it is quite a large injection to . I would have to look at the prescrition to check out the exact amount, theres no way it could be done oraly for him then? I read one site where the liquid form was given oraly (nto with the needle i hope :S )She told me his RI was basicaly gone and that I did the right thing and got rid of most of it by up'ing the temps and lowerin the humidity, she said this was just to kick whats left of it out of his system. Im not saying he still doestn need it tho!

Thanks

I was told that when given orally it wasn't as effective.. but I'd trust what Becky says more than what I've heard.

I'm not sure how much easier it would be to give it to your snake orally though.. that involves prying an 8' python's mouth open and putting irritating liquid down it. I'd rather inject any day.. but if it works for you.. go for it.

April

Thanks

Sorry i didnt see your post untill after i typed mine lol it is a 11.52 ml injection that is 50mg/ml

he isnt as fussy with his mouth open, the vet showed me with a wooden stick how to pry it open to check the inside of his mouth perodicaly

i still need to find people to help tho

if we change to oral we do not feed him at all untill his meds are done with?
    Last edited by Lucifers_Mommy; 03-18-2006 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks

Opening his mouth is one thing.. putting something icky down it is another. You may find he doesn't want you to open his mouth anymore after you start putting baytril down it.

April

Thanks

very true...hhmmmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast