Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,042

1 members and 1,041 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin Problem!

Thanks

Exclamation Skin Problem!

Hey, I'm new. I've been reading through this forum for a couple of days and have thought I would ask for your advice. I have had my Python for almost a week now and I have realized that her skin isn't smooth. It appears to me that some individual scales pop out. Are these mites, stress, water blisters, or is it normal? Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Skin Problem!

Hi and welcome to BP.net!

I don't know how to answer your question except to ask for more information. How long have you had the snake? Where did you get it? How old is it? Are you able to take pictures of what you're concerned about so that our more experienced members can take a look?
    -- Judy

Thanks

I bought it at this store in Lubbock, Texas called Walter's World www.waltersworld.net . I've had it for 5 days and it is under two feet. I called the store and they told me to bring it in so they could look at it but I'm off for spring break 5 hours away. Here are the pictures.

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by renaissanceguey; 03-13-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks

It looks like a bad shed to me. You may want to replace that cypress with paper towels to check for mites, it will also help if the snake has been in an environment that was too moist. The mites will show up as dark specks on the paper towels and in the water bowl when your snake goes to drink.

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the pictures. I'm not very experienced with BP's myself yet, but I'm sure others will weigh in as well. So...that being said...that spot on her neck does look like a possible tick to me. Good chance she has mites as well. There is a lot of old skin that should have been shed off and wasn't. And she looks too thin.

I don't know anything about the place you got her, but petstores are notorious for bringing in imported snakes from Africa that have all sorts of parasites and problems, and then not taking good care of them before they're sold. Looks to me like you may have a fair amount of work ahead of you getting her healthy and thriving.

Did you say you were leaving for spring break? How long will you be gone and what will you do with her in the meantime?

OH, and since we don't know the sex of the animal, I just referred to her in the female sense...not to imply that she LOOKS female. LOL
    -- Judy

Thanks

How are you measuring temps and humidity? I suggest an acu-rite digi therm/hygrometer. $12 at wally world. Definitely looks to me like the last shed did not completely come off. Probably could use a bit of a soak in some shallow warm (not hot) water. The humidity where "she" was kept last was probably too low for her to completely shed. So if you don't already have a digital temp and humidity reader get one but if you do what is your humidity at now?

Thanks

Oh boy. I know I should have done a lot more research before purchasing my Python. I feel kind of dumb for such an impulse buy. I read online that you want to pick an active snake that stuck its tongue out a lot and this one did that. It had some of the scales coming off a little bit and I asked the worker if that meant anything bad and he said it wasn't anything. Now as time goes by it seems to get worsen little by little. I'm not doing anything this spring break except for illustrating a kids book here at home and hanging out with friends so I have time to treat the snake.

Ok, so I need to remove the cypress and replace it with dry paper towels. Is there anyway to save the cypress(I feel kind of dumn for buying the kit they gave me, ay ay ay!)? If there is mites, I should bleach the tank, correct? Would I have to do anything with the snake? If no mites show up, I guess I'll just have to wait until I get back to take it back to the store.

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damian7
    How are you measuring temps and humidity? I suggest an acu-rite digi therm/hygrometer. $12 at wally world. Definitely looks to me like the last shed did not completely come off. Probably could use a bit of a soak in some shallow warm (not hot) water. The humidity where "she" was kept last was probably too low for her to completely shed. So if you don't already have a digital temp and humidity reader get one but if you do what is your humidity at now?
    Yeah, I've been read about those acu-rites. I'm about to go buy one right now. Thanks! I HOPE that's what's wrong with her. I'll let you know as soon as I set it up!

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

don't feel bad... you've come to the right place to get good information which will assist you and your new snake a LOT!

welcome to the addiction of snakes!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Agh, I just checked the water and I'm pretty sure she has mites. Is there anything I should do to her after I've cleaned the tank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast