Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,251

1 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: mexican boa ?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

mexican boa ?

i was talking to a friend earlyer today and he said he has a friend with a Mexican Boa that he is looking to get rid of.

all i know about the snake is what i was told, that it is about 10' and on the thin side (waiting for pics and more info).

now my question is just what is a mexican boa?

i have had redtails (babysat them) and i know about them, the size they can get,feeding, housing ect...

how do they differ from a redtail all around (feeding, houseing,size,temperment ect) ?

i dont think i will get it because the last redtail i had had issues with my dog (striking every time the dog came in the room) were as my BPs could care less.

Thanks

Re: mexican boa ?

If it's actually 10 feet long, its probably not a true Mexican. Mexicans top out at about 6-7' fully grown, considered to be a dwarf species. Mexicans have somewhat of a reputation for being aggressive, I've worked with quite a few from the same litter- personalities of them are all over the place, some docile, others evil. Just like most other snakes!

It may be a central american boa, pics would help.

That being said, same captive care goes for mexicans as do retails as centrals, whatever. Don't let the warm side top over 92, don't let the cool side dip under 80. Humidity at 50-60%. Plenty of fresh water, preferably a large enough dish to soak. Maybe some vines for security, some of them use hides and others don't.
    -Brad

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: mexican boa ?

still waiting on more info on the snake as well as pictures of it.

i do so hate the waiting game, most likely wont get any more info on it till the middle of the week.

i really dont think i will take the snake on due to the safety of my other animals. a hiper pup and larger snakes just don't seem to mix well around here for me, thats why i'm glad my BPs don't seem to care about the dogs.

none the less i will do my best to see if i can help to find it a good home and the better informed i am about it and all the better chance i will have in helping to see to it that it gets a good home.

i will post pictures IF i get them and maybe you can help to deside if it is a true mexican boa or not.

thank you for your reply