Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,427

3 members and 3,424 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Het Albino

Thanks

Het Albino

Just wondering if anyone could tell me as to when the best time of year for purchasing Het Albinos would be. That and what would the cost be for a 100% Het pair? I would love to have an albino but would rather breed for it rather than purchasing one. That and breeding would be a nice little side income while I am in school.

Thanks

Re: Het Albino

Consider why you really want to breed. If it is to make quick money, its not going to happen. There are so many hidden costs associated with breeding snakes and taking care of them properly. There is no guarantee that you will ever make a cent and you could very well end up losing money. Now if you want to do it for the sheer enjoyment of the experience I say go for it! As far as cost, I have seen Het pairs ranging from $600-$1200. Make sure you choose a quality breeder so you are guaranteed that you get what you pay for. Good luck!

Thanks

Very well said Jamie and also remember to get 100% het for albino's unless you really want to roll the dice with possible hets. Also, even 100% hets can breed and you can get not one albino in the bunch (since both parents carry the normal genes as well as the recessive albino gene). Breeding is never an absolute guarantee, whether it's the genetic roll of the dice, number of eggs, viability of eggs...heck whether the two adult snakes in question are even "in the mood" LOL

Having said all that...if you have a passion for albino's and ball pythons in general and have done your research...go for it...I know my hubby and I are! LOL

~~Jo~~
    Last edited by frankykeno; 03-04-2006 at 11:38 PM. Reason: grammar! more coffee!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys but I really am thinking about getting into this for the sheer joy of breeding pythons. I just can't think of what I would do wtih the extra snakes but to sell them, thus having the hobby pay for itself slowly over the span of 5 years or so. But I do understand that even hets aren't guaranteed to produce an albino. I also feel that breeding an albino successfully would add to the overall excitement.

I was just wondering if there was a better time to start looking around the breeders because the hets would be more abundant. I was thinking of probably getting them around the end of July.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdehlin
    I was just wondering if there was a better time to start looking around the breeders because the hets would be more abundant. I was thinking of probably getting them around the end of July.
    Sounds like the perfect time of year to pick up a pair.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty