Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,289

1 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks

Re: *Caution*- Pottentialy Disturbing Topic for Some---Cats

I need to put some input on freezing things to kill.... I would like to give you a picture of something that happened to me....

About 4 yrs back, I told both my kids, stay away from the frozen pond... well being kids, and b/c they saw other kids skating, they figured Mom had no idea what she was talking about... they went out on the ice.... my daughter come running home yelling "mike is in the pond, mike is in the pond"..so I called 911 and ran out there.... I had no choice but to go out on the ice to save him... long story short, he is fine..... I fell through the ice too, it was so scarey... I was so cold, my arms and legs I could not feel very quickly as far as judging what I was trying to grab..but I did feel horrible horrible pain, some of the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, in fact, worse than child birth. It was hard to breath, much like someone clamping something around my chest and not allowing me to breath... you lose conciousness very quickly... I was very fortunate, I woke up in the hospital later that night.

Taking that into consideration, I would never ever want anything or anyone to die that way, it is aweful, and to think I only had a short taste of what could have killed me. In a freezer, it would most likely be slower than what I experienced due to the fact the water I was in was ALOT colder than a freezer. To be honest, if I had a choice between the 2, I would choose the cold water, at least it would be faster and I would not have to experience that horrible pain and terror for however long it would take to die in that situation.

I hope my post serves as a way to open eyes about how horrible it would be to die that way.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

By an interesting twist of fate, I lived in Kitchener for awhile. Kitchener-Waterloo Humane Society is one of the more active enforcement agencies out there. They will enforce humane laws on pet stores for something considered as "minor" as cloudy water in a fish aquarium. They check all creatures including herps and rodents, etc not just dogs and cats as is more common in other agencies. They do take a very strong line with pet stores in K-W. They have been known in the past to charge farmers who do not comply to standards and practices of that industry. They regularily attend the stock sales every Tuesday and Thursday to make sure those animals are humanely managed in a sale environment (stock yards).

They have the right to charge under laws up to and including the Criminal Code of Canada Cruelty to Animals Law (federal offense and that just ain't jokin folks). As well under laws of the Province of Ontario and the City Bylaws of Kitchener-Waterloo.

I'd be pleased to have a word with Inspector Bowes about the practises of the two K-W pet stores you mentioned LM and ascertain whether the live freezing of guinea pigs is considered humane under current legislation. That should stop the debate on that particular issue here as well as make sure that when you follow their advice you are yourself in compliance.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    Any mammal stuck in a freezer is going to experience pain before dying.. not falling asleep. As the fluids in the body freeze, they expand and crystalize and destroy the tissues around them.. would you like to die that way?
    Just to clarify, the pain experienced by mammals freezing is not due to the fluids crystalizing. Supposedly that is true for reptiles, but mammals are a little more complicated. Still, it is a very painful way to die whether it is a person, mouse, or Guinea Pig.

Here is a link on acceptable euthansia techniques.

And one on hypothermia.

-Lawrence

Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

That is a sad but yet wonderful story, im glad you and your son are ok, i hope he learned to listen to his mother ! i already feel bad enough for stickign him in the freezer...the info i had said it was fine( which i know now was wrong)....i was told they just go to sleep then die because there heating systme shuts down....im not sticking anymore in the freezer and i said this already.....thank you for sharing tho

Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

"Before taking on that burm, you should have thought about how you were gonna feed it... now you are so worried about your bills you have resorted to inhumane killing of gp's and thinking about feeding off kittens. Not good."

FYI....I did think about how I was gonna feed it, that why i have jumbo rats in my freezer that I purchased Frozen.......And I never said I was soo worried about my bills, but for most people who arent rich and who live paycheck to paycheck having money for your bills is an important thing........And as ive said like 6 times I was unaware of the truth about freezing live guinea pigs.

And to everyoen is yelling at me how its inhumane it is to freeze live guinea pigs, why didnt someoen say that when i posted it weeks ago?????? Instead you keep your knowledge to yourself instead of telling me then and there???? If you were soooo disgusted with the guinea pig thing why didnt you guys post it ????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifers_Mommy
    And to everyoen is yelling at me how its inhumane it is to freeze live guinea pigs, why didnt someoen say that when i posted it weeks ago?????? Instead you keep your knowledge to yourself instead of telling me then and there???? If you were soooo disgusted with the guinea pig thing why didnt you guys post it ????
    I don't understand. Are you upset because people told you that you were cruel for putting your GP in the freezer, or are you upset that they didn't tell you sooner?

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't understand. Are you upset because people told you that you were cruel for putting your GP in the freezer, or are you upset that they didn't tell you sooner?
    I think she's wondering why no one said something BEFORE she put it in the freezer. And for that, I have no answer because even though I've read every single thread posted on this forum for at least the last three months, I don't remember how that particular one played out.

ANYhow...I think this poor dead horse has been beat welll and good. "Lucifer's Mom" acknowledged each point on here and is learning from her mistakes. It's time to lock this thread because anything else mentioned here is merely antagonistic and will not help anyone.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifers_Mommy
    Why would you assume that everyone on this message board reads every single thread that is posted?

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456