Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,265

1 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: *Caution*- Pottentialy Disturbing Topic for Some---Cats

This is probably not my place to say, but I feel it needs to be said anyways. I am not trying to be mean and if Mods feel I have over stepped please delete this post.

It seems like the people around where you live are pretty cruel to animals. I would not be seen with people like that. It also seems like there is a bit of a problem find food for pets at sometimes other wise this wouldn't even be comtemplated. Like I said earlier I am not trying to be mean, but maybe you need to step back and re-examine your fiscal situation. Herps aren't cheap by any means. I have been into them for about 6 months now and I have spent $2k-$3k on my 9 herps. Maybe letting one or two go until your (assumed by my readings) situation improves may not be a bad idea. I know that sucks, but it seems kind of like your reaching a little bit to feed some of them.

I don't mean to offend you by this, maybe just offer you a different prospective.

Thanks

It also seems like there is a bit of a problem find food for pets at sometimes other wise this wouldn't even be comtemplated.

To be completely honest I was sort of thinking the same thing. I respect your courage to come out and say what I was thinking, I thought it was a good point so I hope it isn't deleted.

Jason
    Last edited by jknudson; 03-01-2006 at 03:07 AM.
    Jason

Thanks

for the people saying that cats are better rats because they are cuddly and loving....

which do you think is really more cuddly, loving, interacting with humans... snakes or rats?

I think snakes are great, but rats I would consider more affectionate just as cats are more loving/affectionate than rats...

Thanks

I
    for the people saying that cats are better rats because they are cuddly and loving....

which do you think is really more cuddly, loving, interacting with humans... snakes or rats?

I think snakes are great, but rats I would consider more affectionate just as cats are more loving/affectionate than rats...

I don't think most of the objection here is really about cats being better than rats really (or at least that's not my take on the majority of what I've read). If people do have an emotional reaction though, let's be reasonable. Cats have been a domesticated, companion animal a long time so you just have to expect that sort of reaction if you post a thread about a burm eating kittens. I do see a lot of wisdom about felines not being a good idea though for other than emotional reasons so let's give credit where credit is due that way.

Rats are excellent companion animals, totally agree there with you. The only pet of the rodent family I actually would recommend for a younger child due to the rat's nature, solid size and ease of care. As much as I appreciate my breeder/feeder rats for their contribution to our snake collection...I'll also enjoy selling the occasional really nicely marked one to someone to be kept as a big loved spoiled rotten rat pet.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    I

I don't think most of the objection here is really about cats being better than rats really (or at least that's not my take on the majority of what I've read). If people do have an emotional reaction though, let's be reasonable. Cats have been a domesticated, companion animal a long time so you just have to expect that sort of reaction if you post a thread about a burm eating kittens. I do see a lot of wisdom about felines not being a good idea though for other than emotional reasons so let's give credit where credit is due that way.

Rats are excellent companion animals, totally agree there with you. The only pet of the rodent family I actually would recommend for a younger child due to the rat's nature, solid size and ease of care. As much as I appreciate my breeder/feeder rats for their contribution to our snake collection...I'll also enjoy selling the occasional really nicely marked one to someone to be kept as a big loved spoiled rotten rat pet.

~~Jo~~
    I agree, I should have quoted the person instead of generalizing the statement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I may regret this post, as right now I am very disturbed by this thread and previous posts by Lucifersmommy.

I have to question a person's moral compass who would peruse pet ads in order to find feeders for their snake. First, that involves deceiving the people who are trying to find pet homes for their pets, so that you can save money in actually paying for feeders like most of us do. That's a line I just cannot cross and I am appalled that anyone would do that.

I too want to know if you froze that guinea pig alive as your other thread implies.

I know this particular thread is about someone who plans to kill off kittens and considering this as an opportunity for free feeders - but the very fact that you are contemplating this makes me wonder if you have the financial means to properly care for your snake(s) if you were no longer able to get free feeders from pet ads or friends who are seriously lacking in proper care of their own animals and allowing them to have unwanted babies that are "disposable" to them.

I know everyone has their own moral line, but I haven't seen LM's yet. Seems, if it's free, it's fair game - even if you have to break the law (feeding kittens to a burm), lie and deceive (contacting people looking for good homes for their pets that you consider feeders). And THAT'S what is disturbing to ME!

Thanks

Couldn't have said it better myself Robin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeySnakeSnake

That's not really what this is about, go back to the post I made earlier on the thread, you are doing exactly what I said people do- assigning moral treatment based on personal, objective standards.
    -Brad

Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

well whatever them i guesse im just a big big sicko with no love for any kinds of animals............you said this topic makes you sick HELLO I TOLD YOU THAT IN THE FIRST POST.I also said the kittens are going to die regarless of wheater i taken them or not, I EVEN TRYED TO PAY HER IF SHE GAVE ME THEM ALIVE and she wont, so there is nothing i can to change her mind.......IF YOU COULD READ YOU WOULD SEE THAT THE KITTENS WOULD ALREADY BE DEAD.I cant take them to my shelter if there dead, and even tho i hate the idea of feeding a kitten to my snake...ITS ALREADY DEAD...im not going to do it regardless . I had heard of many peopel doing it(AND THAT DOESNT MEAN IF EVERYBODY JUMPED OFF ABRIDGE I WOULD TO), i just wanted to hear about what everybody else thought

"So Lucifer, first you are freezing live healthy Guinea Pigs and now feeding kittens to your snake. Whats the deal? Did I misread that other post of yours?"

Im not feeding the cats to my snake nor did i ever say i was, I wanted to knwo everybody else opnion... I was told that is humane way of killing guinea pigs, they get cold and go to sleep, then while there sleeping, they die....This is how the businesses that sell them kill them (I asked the 4 closest ones to me which is toronto canada, mount forest canada and 2 in kicthner canada) so w/e i guesse im just a big sicko then
    BTW Guinea pigs are sold as snake food in almost every chain or rodent suppliers so you can nag at them about bad it is to feed guinea pigs to snakes

"Taking on a giant snake breed like a Burm means taking on a financial responsibility....they are not cheap to feed."

"but maybe you need to step back and re-examine your fiscal situation. Herps aren't cheap by any means"

I realize this , i made sure i had the money to take of it b4 i picked up the snake, im in teh midist of speninf 300 bucks to build a new cage and i got a carpenter to do it for me and im paygin him as well......i understand they are not cheap....
    the closest rodent suppliers is about 3 hours away from me.....b4 i even got the snake i went and picked up some jumbo rats .....im not nessecairly cheap its the 3 hour drive(one way) then plus the cost...in my eyes its cheaper and more convient to breed them

"I have to question a person's moral compass who would peruse pet ads in order to find feeders for their snake."

This is like community page where everyeon posts junk they want to get rid of...not cute cuddley pet ads...I do not search pet ads for free feeders.....instead of buying 30 dollar guinea pigs then breeding them and having the female possibly die becaue she is either to old etc etc, i wanted a guinea pig that had already given birth....FYI the owners son had the guinea pigs cuz he thought they were cute then got bit them hated them..... his father specificaly asked us if we knew anyone with a big snake that they could feed them to...I laughed and said I did, i winked and he noded andgrinned, which in my eyes signifies he knew what i was doing with them but did not want his kids to know as we did not say that out loud

" know everyone has their own moral line, but I haven't seen LM's yet. Seems, if it's free, it's fair game"

The lady wants me to feed them to my snake, im not partying about the idea of it...if you read my first post you would see that.......and as for my moral line???? w/e i post a couple topics to LEARN THINGS and all of a sudden im just a big sicko with no morals and yada yada. Its hard to understand someones morals when they ask a couple quick questions on the internet so have fun judging me as you do

"It seems like the people around where you live are pretty cruel to animals. I would not be seen with people like that"

You know what they probably are, i live in a small redneck town...people catch rabbits in the backyards and skin them on there front lawn for petes sake...and im not lying either my own step father did this for years, just your normal live trap laying out in the backyard......hunting is a regular thing....every weekend basicaly, to them most animals are food.....and if there not food then there pests and should be exterminated in whatever way in convinient...............I work with the cat lady , i dont "hang out" with her......these people where raised like this , to city people it seems disturbing (its a lil disturbign to me to) but when you grow up around it , its a different story...its how they live, they lived there whole lives liek this......and were not the only town like this ....i could think of a whole state that has a rep for being like this ...."sweet home a______ " so feel free to make fun of us or call us whatever....its reminds me of moma from "the waterboy" with adam sandler, the only reason i still live here is because of my friends and my job

IF I WAS SUCCCCHHHHHH A BAD PERSON WITH NO MORALS WHY WOULD I HAVE CREATED THIS TOPIC IN THE FIRST PLACE?????

IF I WAS SUCH A HORRIBLE PERSON WHO ENJOYS BEIGN CRUEL TO ANIMALS WHY HAVENT I FED THE KITTENS TO MY SNAKE YET??????????????

IF I WAS SUCH A HORRIBEL PERSON WHO DIDNT CARE ABOUT ANIMALS AND PEOPLES FEELINGS WHY WOULD I HAVE SAID CAUTION IN THE TOPIC???

I COULD HAVE JUST GOT THE KITTENS AND FED THEM TO MY BURM.... .BUT DID I??? NO BECAUSE I DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF IT........SO YOU CAN KEEP RAMBLING ON ABOUT HOW SICK AND INHUMANE I AM CUZ I DONT CARE

Thanks

Ok.. chill out. You asked for opinions, and you got them. No name calling was necessary on either side.

Freezing a live animal is NOT humane for ANY species. I simply do not believe that commercial sellers pop adult Gpigs in the freezer to euthanize them. Can you imagine putting 100 or more live guineapigs in a freezer? Certainly not an efficient OR humane way of disposing of any animal. Commercial rodent breeders euthanize with Co2.

It also makes no sense that this person would not accept money for the live kittens. She just wants to get rid of them.. it sure makes it easier for her to not have the hassle of killing them AND she gets some money. This just doesn't sound right to me.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast