Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,447

1 members and 3,446 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: *Caution*- Pottentialy Disturbing Topic for Some---Cats

I think that cats are protected for a reason. And besides, one generation of inbred cats won't yield offspring that are "retarded."

Sounds like the inbred cats are genetically superior to your friend who wants you to feed them to your snake....just my .02
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    I think that cats are protected for a reason. And besides, one generation of inbred cats won't yield offspring that are "retarded."

Sounds like the inbred cats are genetically superior to your friend who wants you to feed them to your snake....just my .02
    Bahaha! Exactly..Which is really inbred?

Thanks

Can we please refrain from any name calling please. That is only going to escalate this thread. Thanks.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Okay so this post is a little umm..disturbing. Alot of the points made already are good...Putting the facts that the kitten could hurt your snake, could get you fined, create a bad image, and also be inhumane...would you REALLY want to feed a kitten to your snake? I mean think about it..it isnt like a mouse they are potential cuddling/purring/litte balls of kitty love. Just my opinion...if it were me I would take them and tell the lady that you fed them to the snake. Bring them to a shelter or find them homes. Shelters might be over crowded but they have a much better chance there then with her. I would also report her and tell the people of her kitty killing plans.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

To be perfectly honest, and I know I'll take some heat for saying this, No, I wouldn't have a problem feeding kittens to a snake, AS LONG AS CERTAIN CONDITIONS APPLIED

1 They're humanely euthenized first.

2 It isn't illegal.

3 That regardless of any of my actions, they would be killed anyway.

In a situation where all of those conditions were met, I would not have a moral or ethical problem with it. Because A) snakes gotta eat too B) if the kittens will be killed regardless, why waste them?

Thanks

I don't have a problem with those who want to feed their snakes cats, but I agree, you shouldn't offer a food source that you can't offer again. Add on top of that you own cats, so snake eats cat/kitten, associates cat/kitten smell as food, snake goes nuts then always smelling cats.
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
    To be perfectly honest, and I know I'll take some heat for saying this, No, I wouldn't have a problem feeding kittens to a snake, AS LONG AS CERTAIN CONDITIONS APPLIED

1 They're humanely euthenized first.

2 It isn't illegal.

3 That regardless of any of my actions, they would be killed anyway.

In a situation where all of those conditions were met, I would not have a moral or ethical problem with it. Because A) snakes gotta eat too B) if the kittens will be killed regardless, why waste them?
    These are great points. I consider myself to be an pretty open-minded person, though I personally wouldn't ever treat cats or kittens as a prey item. Under the above conditions, I wouldn't lose any sleep over someone else doing it. However, I do not feel those conditions would have been met under this specific situation.

So the bigger question here is, where do we all draw the line on what is the moral thing to do concerning feeders. We, as humans, whether we like it or not, attach value to certain living things over others, and apply "moral treatment" according to that heirarchy. Obviously, I think that cats and dogs are right up there on list just beneath our own human children, in most peoples' view. The same person who values the life of say, a rabbit, may say its wrong for one of us to feed a cute bunny to a snake and in the same instance, swat a fly that lands on their computer monitor and not even think twice about it.

The idea or issue here is that each of us, as individuals, have a slightly different heirarchy for moral treatment. Given that fact, any debate on what is "right" to feed and what is "wrong" to feed becomes a purely circular argument.
    Last edited by elevatethis; 03-01-2006 at 01:00 AM. Reason: mad typos
    -Brad

Thanks

Like Jamie I would like a clear answer on how the adult GP was euthanized for feeding. The other thread does make it appear it was put in the freezer alive. I surely hope this was NOT the case here.

As far as my opinion on feeding inbred kittens to your burm....

Explain to your friend her irresponsibility in having two intact cats in her home especially litter mates...that's first. If she won't alter them, this will only keep happening and that's just sad. Feed the kittens off if you want, your snake, your choice...personally it's not something I would do for many reasons...most of them already stated by other members.

Regardless of what prey you choose don't choose it just because it's the cheapest or free prey. The prey we use needs to be the best quality possible....our snakes are just as much what they eat as we are....you eat junk you aren't healthy....same for any living creature in my opinion....junk in...junk out. Taking on a giant snake breed like a Burm means taking on a financial responsibility....they are not cheap to feed.

As far as prey treatment, and yes I am on a soapbox here. Whatever each of us choose to feed, as far as I'm concerned we should choose to treat that prey humanely and respectfully...yep I said respect. Without those prey animals you own a dead snake....simple as that. It's not "just" a rat or a mouse...it's what keeps our precious snakes alive and healthy and it is also a creature in and of itself, deserving of standards of care.

Humane living conditions and a humane death for whatever reason that death occurs (whether it be for the purpose of feeding off or a pet that is aged and ill) is what any animal deserves and the only way Michael and I know how to treat a living creature in our home.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

even though its brother/sister, i dont believe the kittens should be retarded. if both cats are infact healthy and have no genetic problems- a one time go at inbreeding shouldnt affect them to the point of retardation she's expecting- i would assume it would be more of a problem with organs or such. if that is the case, then the animals should be put down.

just my opinions. trust me, ive seen a few freak animals in my day- i live on the skirts of a nice, but small town. several... crazies around along with their animals. i do remember an inbred dog who was, yes, not as keen as some- but nothing to euth him for.
    Last edited by shhhli; 03-01-2006 at 01:38 AM. Reason: babbled on there for a second

Thanks

If it were me in this situation I would not feed the kittens to the burm. What irks me is the fact that the lady with the cats has the nerve to kill the kittens...I mean its her fault that her cats aren't fixed, so she should own up and deal with the problem humanely.

If she still threatens to inhumanely euthanize the kittens I would call your local SPCA...I'm sure they would love to save a litter of kittens, so they can go to good homes where they will be appreciated. Just because they inbred cats does not make them "retarded". I hope she does the right thing.
    Jason

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast