Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

1 members and 3,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

*Caution*- Pottentialy Disturbing Topic for Some---Cats

OK this may make you sick so youve been warned

A lady I know has some house cats...a male and a female.....brother and sister......well now the female is pregnant and the girl tells me that she is going to kill the cats once they are born because they will be deformed "retard" kitties.....she told me if i wanted i could feed them to my burm.......i was really kinda freaked out because i dont want to feed a kitty to snakey!!!.......I know this may seem disturbing but she is an old school farm girl.....redneck if you will.........Im not really into feeding them to my burm but she is going to kill the kittens anyways....and belive me there is nothing I can do to change her mind, the local shelter is already overlaoded and she would rather not see the "retard" kitties go 2 someones home........anyways I was wondering what you guys think about this.....im still not used to the idea , but i dont own cats and dont plan to whatsoever...she gonna kill them anyways sooooooo

Thanks

Re: *Caution*- Pottentialy Disturbing Topic for Some---Cats

Uhm.. well, IF your snake ate it, do you really want a burmese python imprinting on the scent of cats as food? Say you go to a friends house, pet their kitties, forget you did, pick up your burm, and he bites you?

OR.. your burm really, really likes the taste of kitties, and doesn't want to eat anything else.

Why would you want to? Really? Ok if she's going to kill them.. that's sad, but there is no reason for you to feed them to your burm. Saving a few bucks would be a poor reason and I can't think of any good reason at all.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

take them and say your going to feed them, but dont acutally feed them to your snake. If i were you id keep them, my cat had a reatarded kitten and i loved the thing to death, there friendly
    Keith

1 Male Baby Ball Python

Thanks

Sure, why not? If people feed cute little baby rats and mice to snakes, why not cats? Rats can learn to rollover, Ive never seen a cat do that

BTW, i have 2 cats and love cats.... Im just no more disturbed at the idea of feeding of one type of baby than another.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

i think that there is a much higher potential there for injury to the snake than with feeding it normal prey items. kittens have very sharp sharp claws and teeth. it's too bad your friend is going to kill the kittens, but i don't think offering them to your burm is a good idea.
    - Emily

Thanks

Yeah I didn't even think of that aspect. A kitten defending itself can be quite formidable.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Actually I have heard of this before. I don't know if anyone has heard of "walmart Puppies/Kittens". People claim that they have 3-4 kids and want the animals as pets for thier kids. They end up as snake food or worse.

You might want to try to take the cats and place them yourself, either with other families or with a shelter.

I know this is wrong, but I have joked many times about my cats being snake food. I ain't a cat person. I would never do it, but I make the jokes.

Thanks

I would not offer cats/kittens for one reason, inconsistant food supply. I have no problem with the death of any animal so long as it serves a purpose. The other problem with feeding cats/kittens is that it can create a very negative stimga if discovered, remember while cats may not be the most liked animal nation wide, snakes are far less liked and snakes that can eat a cat are even less liked.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

good point shelby!...the kittens will be dead upon arrival..i dont feed live...im still leannign towards no tho lol

Thanks

Why not offer to find homes for the kittens and get her two cats spayed and neutered? That would be the best option for all of the animals. Why hasn't she gotten them fixed if she knew this would happen?

People sometimes... I swear.

And no, I wouldn't feed the kittens to your snake. You never know what diseases they may harbor and bring into your house. If this woman, regardless of being hickified, had enough common sense to spay/neuter her animals these things wouldn't have ever happened. It doesn't cost more than $25-$30 to get a male cat neutered, and females can be done for around $40-$50 at a Spay/Neuter Clinic. The SPCA can do them for you or give you a coupon to get them done if the owner can't/will not do it themselves.

Also, do yourself a favor and look here for a rabbit breeder: http://www.prma.org/breeder_rabbits.htm You may be able to find one very close in your area and can pick up a meal for your snake once every 2 weeks for probably $5-$7. They usually price depending on how much the rabbit weighs. Sometimes they will meet you halfway or they can ship(cheaper than RodentPro alot of the time).

Hope that helps.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast