Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

5 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VP of Cool
    Thanks

Re: Phoenix Expo Follow up: Offer we couldn't refuse.

Very Beautiful! I think its time I put you guys on the "Herpaholics Anonymous" mailing list
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

Thanks guys! Yeah, I know, we're hopeless... Karen and I even have aims for when we do have a house to have a snake room/art studio room now! /(^v^)\ Mwahaha! I am hooked on the blue beauties... the pics really don't do them justice. Their coloration makes me wonder at what their natural habitat looks like.

Neptune is doing better already!

We got him a big tub at lows, the biggest clear one we could find (the x-mas ones are a good deal, but testy as Neptune is I want to know where he is when I open up the tub!). It's wider than Ma-tsu's tank but a bit shorter. We'll get him a nice boaphile or something someday. I nearly knocked myself out from the fumes melting holes in it (we need a drill!) and Karen "maimed" her thumb cutting off the end of a plastic planter for a good hide. We love our snakes! We got it all set up, hide and bowl and he was a pretty good boy when I picked him up then remembered to be mad as soon as I put him down.

But it didn't take him long to realize he was in a new space all alone, and he relaxed immensely right away! He was actually exploring which he didn't bother to do in the other tank. He got a drink of water and relaxed watching everything and was suddenly as curious and interested in his surroundings as Ma-tsu! He loves his hide too, has vanished completely into it. I can't imagine how long it's been since he's had any privacy!

He and Ma-tsu *both* took their f/t rats no problem, and settled down for the night. Hungry snakes! Neptune in his new hide, and Ma-tsu curling up in her tank. Both looked for more afterwards too! Goodness! We got Ma-tsu the same sort of hide as Neptune, but Karen wants a better handsaw before we try and cut a hole in it again.

Oh, and a bit of background on Ma-tsu's name... She's an Asian sea goddess. "Daughter of the Dragon" "Empress of Heaven" "Kuan-Yin of the Southern Sea." I think that suits her beautifully. Neptune is self explainatory, he came with the name and we loved it, it suits him perfect!
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your new babies! I can just feel the giddiness!!!! They are gorgeous and it's as if it was meant to be for you! Gorgeous babies! question for you though - in Neptune's new home - was that water in the bottom of the enclosure (like an inch or two deep) or some "trick" photography? LOL

Thanks

I bet poor Neptune is just thrilled in his new bachelor pad and hopefully with time will settle in. We never thought our bp Brannagh would come so far so fast and if Mz. B can do it, then it sure gives me hope that your Neptune can too.

I've never seen these snake before. They are gorgeous and I'm sure even more so in person. I'll have to google a bit LOL. Absoultely fate that you went to that snake show right after you started thinking about these snakes and here were two that needed a forever home!

Congrats again! Can't wait to follow their story as they settle in your home.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    was that water in the bottom of the enclosure (like an inch or two deep) or some "trick" photography? LOL
    Looks like the bottom moulded lip of the tub...I totally see what you mean tho...=)

Man, they really are beautiful...can't wait til they settle in a bit more so we can see more pictures!
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

beeeeeeautiful! i bet you'll notice a difference in his moodiness immediately. he just wanted to be left alone... by her, by everyone... and now that he is left alone... he'll welcome your interaction

congrats!!!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Since he's all fed now, Neptune's vanished into his hide never to be seen again, lol! Ma-tsu is out but very mellow and chillin as she digests. SO relieved they took f/t, it's just so much easier for me. /(^v^)\ I'm impressed they took those big ol medium rats and were still looking for more! Do you think they need larger sized rats?

And yes, that's the lip of his tub! It does look like water though, lol! Very angry sea snake! Funny that it looks like that when they're both named after sea dieties!

The pics really don't do them justice. Neptune has these lovely olive stripes that run down most his body admist the blue, and Ma-tsu is this stormy denim blue all over. The babies are a very olive-y color, and still have the eye makeup going on. I'm looking forward to when she's done digesting so I can give her a cuddle! I'll probably give Neptune a few days extra days or maybe a week of alone time and another meal before pestering him. He deserves a rest! I swear, he'd try to curl up and hide and it was as if she was always making sure *some* part of her body was on his head. Yeash. I'd be grumpy too!

They're pretty hard to find stuff on online, and I may end up writing up a caresheet based on all the asian ratsnake info, what the guy told me, and what the books I have (and Blue Beauty Breeding issue of Reptiles Magazine I'm desperately trying to find, there was one in 2000!) and some of the basics I've learned here. I'd want to send courtesy caresheet prints along with the babies these two produce's new owners, and you know any babies they produce will have fed a few times and have gotten some handling before they're sent out. I'm sure I'm jumping the gun, but it's an exciting prospect! lol!

Since I originally sought out pics of this snake for a Medusa piece, Karen was a little worried I'd fall in love with every species I do art research for and we'd be up to our ears in every kind of snake. But nah. I know my limits, and these guys... I can't even describe how right it feels. Everything about them, their tudes, their size, their remarkable patterns and coloration, the eye markings that floor me... These beauties and bps are about as big a snake as I can do anyhow with my back problems. The most tempting species to me otherwise are the Suris (there was SUCH a cute baby at the expo shedding! Reminded me of a slightly darker Carmen) but I know they get way too big for me. I'll do a Medusa of them anyway tho So many Medusas so little time, lol.
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

There you go hon. You want the September 2000 issue. First link says they have it in stock. Second link is ebay auctions - some of which would include the September 2000 edition of Reptiles Magazine.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/reptile...d=3706&search=

http://search.ebay.com/Reptiles-Maga...fkrZ1QQfromZR8

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks Jo! Bwah, the animal network site's acting up tho I'd really prefer just to get the one issue. I'll prolly pester them and see why the cart isn't working. Thank you!!
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12