Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

1 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Inside/Out?

Banned
    Thanks

Inside/Out?

My male Hog has been breeding steady since December, he knocked up one of my female Hogs and was working a second female Hog.

This morning I noticed him defecating and saw this hanging after he defecated. I've seen this before to some extent and it always corrects itself soon after. But tonight I went to check on the pair and noticed him still dragging it!

I just placed him in some luke warm water with a cup of sugar and will check back on him in an hour or so. I left a message with my vet and if this does not correct itself by tomorrow morning I'll be taking him in!

Have any of you dealt with this?

Thanks

Re: Inside/Out?

I'm definitely no expert, but it does look like a prolapse. I think you have the right idea about the sugar and water, but you may want to make it thicker. I have heard of some people even making a paste and applying it.

I hope everything works out!

-Lawrence

Thanks

Yes, mix the sugar into the water until no more sugar will go into solution. Then apply to the prolapsed hemipene and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Then rinse off. If it hasn't resolved itself in a few more hours, the vet will need to do a purse string suture to keep everything where it needs to be.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

ouch! poor guy~
    Lucas
    0.0.1 ball python
    3.1.0 usambara orange baboon spiders
    2.7.1 red claw scorpions
    ?.?.? american roach colony
    more coming soon

Banned
    Thanks

It was a prolapsed Hemipenes, the good news is the vet was able to save the snake. The bad news is he could only save one Hemipenes and this male may not reproduce again.

They had to perform surgery to place back and remove one of the hemipenes as it was dieing and could not be saved. I just left the snake at the vet and will pick it up this afternoon. I called the every vet nearby and none was see the snake last night! I kept it moist and did the best I could till I got it to a vet the next day. I was lucky to have had seen this vet in such short notice considering it's the weekend.

This is for those who think keeping snakes are just cages, food and water!
    $375.00 for the surgery + $46.20 for the exam + $22.00 for antibiotics = about $475.00 w/tax!!

IMO, well worth it even though he will not breed again! He'll have a nice Boaphile 421D to retire in...[]

I'm just glad this had a happy ending!