Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

0 members and 3,282 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Prometheus34562's Avatar
    Thanks

Safe to feed in tank?

Just a quick question here. Is it safe to feed my ball python in her tank? I've done some research and people say its better to put her in a separate bin for feeding because of two reasons. One being that you dont want to create a feeding response while shes in the cage otherwise she might think you're food everytime you try and go handle her, and two being that the substrate might get on the prey item and be eaten and cause issues.

Any truth to those?, or is it still safe to feed in the tank?, I use coconut substrate btw.

Thanks
    I used to feed in a separate tank, but I found it pointless and time consuming. Its a lot easier, and less stressful for your snake to feed it in their enclosure, as they tend to have a better feeding response when you don't have to pick them up and move them into an unfamiliar place.
    I've got quite a few...

Thanks
    Ah I see. One question though, If I do feed her today in the tank, and a little bit of coconut substrate got stuck on the prey and she ingested it, would she be fine?
    The substrate we have for her is the Eco Earth coconut. The fine grinded stuff not the shards.

Also another question. I just got her from a breeder yesterday and they say she eats every Saturday, but told me to skip this saturday and wait a week then offer because she might be too stressed in her new environment. Should I follow t he advice and just wait to feed her? She seems really fine in her enclosure at the moment, she moved around last night and likes her hide as well. My wife was handling her last night as well and she wasn't curled up in a ball scared, she was very active and moving around smelling everything not scared at all, she seems to really like my wife!. I see no signs of stress so Im wondering if I could feed her today.

Thanks
    The acid in a snakes stomach breaks down bone, a little bit of finely ground coco bark wouldn't have a negative impact on them. Also I would wait the week, the new guy wont starve in that week, and it helps them to be acclimated better.
    I've got quite a few...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Safe to feed in tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus34562 View Post
    Ah I see. One question though, If I do feed her today in the tank, and a little bit of coconut substrate got stuck on the prey and she ingested it, would she be fine?
    The substrate we have for her is the Eco Earth coconut. The fine grinded stuff not the shards.
    She'll be fine. While this makes perfectly good sense that it might happen, it's actually quite rare that is causes any problems at all.

Also another question. I just got her from a breeder yesterday and they say she eats every Saturday, but told me to skip this saturday and wait a week then offer because she might be too stressed in her new environment. Should I follow t he advice and just wait to feed her? She seems really fine in her enclosure at the moment, she moved around last night and likes her hide as well. My wife was handling her last night as well and she wasn't curled up in a ball scared, she was very active and moving around smelling everything not scared at all, she seems to really like my wife!. I see no signs of stress so Im wondering if I could feed her today.
    Your breeder sounds like they know what they're talking about. I'd hold off on feeding today also. What size is your new BP? If it's still a baby and eating less than small rats, I'd actually recommend twice/week feedings and for you to pick a day mid-week for a second feeding day (Wednesday & Saturday for example). If a sub-adult or adult on small rats, weekly feedings are fine.

On a similar note, my personal rule of thumb is also to avoid handling any new arrival until I make sure they're eating well in my care. I wait until they've eaten three consecutive meals without a refusal before I handle them too much.

Have fun with your new BP!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    I would follow your breeders advice. Some are ok with feeding very soon. I have gotten some that would feed the day after I got them. Also It will not hurt to feed him in his enclosure, there is less stress on them that way. I have over twenty snakes that I feed in there enclosure. I have never had any problems with food aggression. The thing is make sure that you don't make the only time you open the cage is just for feeding. Even so I don't see ball pythons being a problem. Also be sure to use hemostats or some form of long handled feeding device. You don't want to get a feeding bite.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply guys, I think Ill just feed her in the tank.

One more question though about the timing of feeding. What is the difference if I fed her today or waited a week?
    My breeder and as well as you experienced people say to wait a week to feed her, I just want to know why that is?
    Is it because the new environment might be too stressfull?
    What would happen if I did feed her sometime today and she eats it no problem, would it still be bad?
    Last edited by Prometheus34562; 12-20-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

What would happen if I did feed her sometime today and she eats it no problem, would it still be bad?
    Nope - not bad at all. Some take food right away, others won't eat until they've settled in.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

If you feed live and don't keep mice on hand (I buy mine life to feed, but don't keep them) I suggest waiting, only because if your snake doesn't feed right away, you now have a mouse that will likely die before next week.

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Also, to avoid substrate in the mouth if its a big worry (I know it is for me) use a pair of long tongs (you can get them at your local pet store usually, for about $12). I hold the mouse by the tail and dangle it into the tank, the snake is less likely to strike the substrate. happy feeding!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast