Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

1 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Spider Head Shaking genetic defect

Hi,
    I just recently bought a spider female(young only 140g or so) and it was a great price. Well when I recieved her(100% healthy no problems thing stated) her head shakes. And it tilts at an angle. She has no other signs of anything wrong, and my snake person tell sme there is a genetic disorer known of in spider morphs. Then he contacted several people he knows that have seen this in THIER spider morphs in person before and they confirmed this.
    I took her to the local Vet College yesterday, and I will detail out all the stuff there if anyone is interested, short form, they examined her and gave me antibiotics, in case tehre is some infection. Once they took her back for the exam proper they became very excited as the first vet was thinking IBD or similar thing as she had not heard of the genetic thing.
    They ended up with 20+ vets in the room looking at her, as this was new to them. They agreed she didn't have any of the other symptoms of any infectious disease.
    My question is:
    Has anyone here heard of this, seen this, or have a snake affected?
    I will answer any questions that I can at this point.
    I cannot say who I recieved the snake from as it could be slander until this is proven. I am currantly negociating hopefully, unless he blows me off, which seems a bit likely. Then all bets are off.
    Any links to any online resources that mention this would be appriciated as well, I tried searching in several search engines, came up nada.
    Thanks in advance.
    Wolfy

Thanks

Re: Spider Head Shaking genetic defect

Here's a good link for ya... Good luck!

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...3&postcount=13
    Ken

Thanks

Exactly what I was looking for, and sorry, I didn't even think to search here! Yes, I am an idiot, but this idiot is running on about 8 hours of sleep for this week. Should I post there or here about this specific thing? It is not exactly breeding ethics.
    Hmm>
    Wolfy *THANK YOU!!!*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound
    I just recently bought a spider female(young only 140g or so) and it was a great price. Well when I recieved her(100% healthy no problems thing stated) her head shakes. And it tilts at an angle.
    Sadly, sometimes the "great price" comes at an additional, hidden cost. It saddens me that people operate in this business without regard for their customers ... that is the one part about this hobby/business that I can't stand. The best advice that I can give you (or anyone) for the future is to stick with the bigger breeders ... I feel that in this case if you had, you might have paid a little more, but you would have gotten an honestly represented animal and full disclosure of what's going on with the morph. Being armed with the information before hand, you could have made your own decision about going forward with the purchase.

If there's anything that I can do to help, please let me know.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    The best advice that I can give you (or anyone) for the future is to stick with the bigger breeders ...
    Hmm... I'm not so sure about that. I think the big breeders definitely have a repuation that they need to uphold, but I think a lot of small breeders also have excellent reputations. One shouldn't base their purchase solely on the size of the breeder but rather what type of service they should expect.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    Hmm... I'm not so sure about that. I think the big breeders definitely have a repuation that they need to uphold, but I think a lot of small breeders also have excellent reputations. One shouldn't base their purchase solely on the size of the breeder but rather what type of service they should expect.
    When I use the term "big breeders" what I really mean is "big" in terms of reptuation and customer service. In my opinion the physical size of a breeders operation is meaningless. It's the size of their rep that sets them apart and helps people to know that they will get quality animals, excellent customer service, and full disclosure. Many times you pay a little more for that "rep", but in my opinion it's worth every penny ... I don't buy any other way.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

I would think that sticking with KNOWN breeders would be good, but honestly, I goofed and got burned. It happens and I am not whining about that in the least.
    Thanks for the offer Adam, and I would love to get ANY information you have on the spinning seen in spider morphs that you could find for me.
    It is an axample of "too good to be true" being absolutely correct.
    In YOUR opinion Adam, would you breed this animal or not? I was not going to breed her unless it was for research purposes. But in the other thread, you mentioned that you believe it is not genetic. If it is environmental, then she is defective herself physically, and perfectly fine genetically. Kind of like a snake who has a scar.
    Thanks again!
    Wolfy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound
    I would think that sticking with KNOWN breeders would be good, but honestly, I goofed and got burned. It happens and I am not whining about that in the least.
    Thanks for the offer Adam, and I would love to get ANY information you have on the spinning seen in spider morphs that you could find for me.
    It is an axample of "too good to be true" being absolutely correct.
    In YOUR opinion Adam, would you breed this animal or not? I was not going to breed her unless it was for research purposes. But in the other thread, you mentioned that you believe it is not genetic. If it is environmental, then she is defective herself physically, and perfectly fine genetically. Kind of like a snake who has a scar.
    Thanks again!
    Wolfy
    1500 grams is a long way aways. If it were me, I would raise her up and breed her to the best looking pastel I can find (I LOVE BUMBLE BEES!) and hatch out some cool babies. If any of the babies turned out to be spinners, I would either just keep them for myself, or sell them to someone that is fully aware of the issues with spinning spiders.

Spinning doe not effect the animals ability to eat, grown, or breed. To me, if an animal is doing those things, it's a pretty happy little dude/dudette ... so I don't see anything wrong with raising her up, breeding her, and seeing what happens.

-adam

Thanks

on the topic of possible genetic problems.. is the possible tail kinking in caramels also completely false?

1.6 BP 1.1 het albino BP 1.0 Creamsicle Corn 1.0 Viper Gecko 1.1 Crested Gecko 0.1 Leopard Gecko 0.0.3 D. leucs 0.0.2 D. tincs Cobalt 0.0.4 Baby Eastern Box Turtles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby23
    on the topic of possible genetic problems.. is the possible tail kinking in caramels also completely false?
    Also?? I don't think anyone said that spinning in spiders was "completely false"???

-adam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast