Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

0 members and 3,185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help on iguinas

Thanks

Re: help on iguinas

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    Thats pretty ambiguous...I work at a pet store and trust me, people have an EXTREME wide range of what is considered to be "a lot" of room.

Anyways, if you are ready to take on keeping this animal (and mistake #1 was when you got the animal w/o reading a caresheet FIRST) you'll want to go ahead and ditch the 20 gallon and get a wire cage, similar to what you'd keep a large bird or sugar glider.

Iguanas require full-spectrum lighting. Zoo-med makes a few full-spectrum bulbs. Heating will also be necessary, a regular incandescent bulb will work. Without the lighting part of the setup (most important part), your iguana will eventually become ill and die.

Sorry if I'm coming off "direct", I just mean to help. A lot of people aquire these animals without doing their homework first and usually get in WAY over their head. I see it happen over and over and over again.
    ok now i remeasured my sons ig and i was wrong i thought he had said 2 1/2 feet,but its not its only 1 ft.4in. long. i was told to put him in the 20 gal.for now and when got bigger put him in a bigger cage.and i was also told that a wire cage was not good for him because you have to spray the tank.what cresheet do you use?
    diamond1

Thanks

Get ready for this.....it's Melissa Kaplans Iguana caresheet.....20+ pages on pdf format......she also co-authored "Iguanas for Dummies" available at your local Barnes and Noble.....she knows whats up and I'd consider this document to be the bible in Iguana care....happy reading!

http://www.anapsid.org/pdf/icfs.pdf
    -Brad

Thanks

The friends of ours that have Iggy's have that book plus printed out that PDF. Amazing how much care these creatures need to thrive isn't it and it's so much more about thriving not just surviving.

I'll have to ask my friend for some pictures. They took an interior closet and rehabbed it into the nicest walk-in enclosure for one of their Iggy's (the other two rescues are in lovely large cages). The closet idea is a fantastic one and Toni the Iggy lives like a queen in there with proper lighting, tons of room, stuff to climb on, a hammock for snoozing in, etc., etc. Toni isn't even fully mature yet but what a nice home she has. Didn't really cost them a ton of money either.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Wink Re: help on iguinas

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    Get ready for this.....it's Melissa Kaplans Iguana caresheet.....20+ pages on pdf format......she also co-authored "Iguanas for Dummies" available at your local Barnes and Noble.....she knows whats up and I'd consider this document to be the bible in Iguana care....happy reading!

http://www.anapsid.org/pdf/icfs.pdf
    Thank You!!I had to save that one in my favorites because its going to take me a long time to read without getting a headache looking at the screan so long..i think it will cover everything we need to know..
    diamond1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12