Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,178

1 members and 3,177 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

my BP is kinda too shy !! is this good or bad!?

well, i bought a 5 months old BP. i try to keep it out as long as im at home.
    i carry it most of the time but it stays still for couple of minutes then tries to run away slowly. i dont force it to stay
    but then she tries to find a pillow or something to stay under it
    should i leave it like that?

i got couple of questions though too.. i read its not good to pet it on its head.
    but what about slowly moving my finger on its body?
    when should it hold it? how often and for how long? should i grab it when it tries to run away?
    when do i know my snake is hungry?

well. thats the questions i have now as i am browsing for more information about BP.

well, its only few days since i got my BP. but i wanna keep reading more and more about the behaviour.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: my BP is kinda too shy !! is this good or bad!?

I really hate to be the one to break it to you, but ball pythons really aren't the kind of pet that you walk around with all day.

They are very shy secretive animals that would much rather be crammed inside a nice warm hiding spot than in your hands.

A big warm mammal (like a person) is a very scary thing to a ball python that instinctually spends it’s life trying to avoid being eaten by big warm things.

Think of them more like fish (pretty to look at, but not a good idea to take them out and pet them) than a hamster or a puppy (warm, cute, cuddly, made for petting).

Ball pythons can actually become quite stressed from being handled which can lead to refusal of food or a host of potential illnesses. Stress has a profound impact on a ball pythons immune system.

Once you're ball python is established in it's new home, set up properly, and eating regularly, it certainly does no harm to take him or her out of their cage for very brief handling session ... the added benefit is a little exercise and a physical assessment of the animal. But taking your ball out and walking around or playing with it for extended periods of time is generally not recommended.

Good luck with your snake!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

you need to read some more BP caresheets. I handle my snakes 10-20 minutes every other day, but they don't need that much attention, they don't need any attention really, unless they're mean and need calming down. I just like giving it to them. I wouldn't recomend carrying them around all day. Also, you should leave your new BP alone all together for 2 weeks after introducing it to its new home. Outside of its home all day would leave it without supplemental heating....that's bad. You can't really tell when a BP is "hungry". Plan on once a week feedings at the same time every week......I'm sure there will be more advice to follow.
    1.0 BP; Sir Hiss (I have a cartoon problem)
    0.1 Blizzard Corn; Princess Fiona (Gaelic=white, fair)
    4.0 Yellow Labs; Drake, Goose, Mojo, Buddy
    1.1 Scarlet Macaws; Ace, Duece
    3.0 American Bison; Death, Danny, Bambi
    10.10 Race Horses (number changes a lot)

Thanks

Lots of good advice there. The only thing I'd like to add is that there are a number of things that can stress out a ball python with a number of detrimental effects, not the least of which is a problem getting him to eat. Read the caresheets about ball pythons on this site. Also, you can do a search on Google for "Ball python caresheet". Set up a nice environment for your snake with the guidelines on the caresheets, and then sit back and let your snake hide for a week or two. Hopefully you won't have any problems feeding, and you can begin to take your snake out a couple times a week for a few minutes without him balling up or looking for the nearest hide.

-Lawrence

Thanks

if its normal then its great.
    well, i think i've stressed it enough of the past couple of days.

everyone wanned to hold it so i let them....
    well, i'll leave it in the cage from now on.

yes, i can tell that feeding it is a problem already.
    it goes after the mouse, but as soon as it makes a sudden move. the snake hides away!

anyways. i'll read the care sheets i haven't started yet. but should i feed it in the cage? or feed it outside the cage?. right now im feeding it outside the cage.
    thanx for the advice people.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

you can feed it inside it's viv... it'll feel much more safe that way. some people prefer to use a feeding box but it's not necc.

my bp - dexter is just starting to explore his viv at night and i've had him since nov! i hold him about once a week, maybe twice max and when he wants to go back into his viv, i let him.

last night we went to hold him and he wanted back in right away... and then when i closed up his viv... he slithered around it for about an hour... hanging off stuff and seemed to be enjoying himself.

best of luch with your new bp and don't be afraid to ask questions... there are lots of experienced people here!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

thanx people. well thats what i have in mind. but i hope my questions wont be considered too silly. i keep reading the sheets. they have great amount of information

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    walking around or playing with it for extended periods of time is generally not recommended.

Good luck with your snake!

-adam
    No one else noticed that!? Adam, this is a family place. LOL
    Jason