Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

2 members and 3,284 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,566
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Lumpy-n-bumpy Ball

We fed Cleo last Thursday, one hopper mouse (kinda large, maybe 5-10% bigger than her largest girth, but she managed fine). We left her alone until Saturday evening when we brought her out for a little while. Then she was left alone until last night (Tuesday).

She was in her cool side hide, and had been in there all day Monday and Tuesday as far as we could tell. When we took her out last night she was initially very sluggish and slow - I guess a side effect of being on the cooler side for a couple of days. (temps were spot on in the viv, 80-83 cool side, 90-94 warm side, stable 60% humidity). Oh, and not to mention I think we woke her up too. I'm the same way in the mornings...

She sat on Cass's lap for a while and we both noticed she was a bit lumpy and bumpy, we figured it was bits of mouse and poop inside her at first, but then I wondered is it because she was so still for such a long time? muscle bludges? A combination?

After 10 minutes or so she woke up more and got very active, lots of looking about and tongue flicking She fully explored Cass's lap, then mine, then we thought we would let her have an explore on the floor for a while - which she did, but she never went far and kept returning to us. Once she was doing her snake exploring thing she smoothed out back to her normal sleek shape.

When we put her back in her enclosure she was very very active, the most we'd seen. Checking out everything, climbing on every plant, every branch, every rock. Going under and over everything, in and out of her hides, lots of drinking and an accidental swim (she's not the most co-ordinated creature I've ever seen!). Because both Cass and I were facinated watching her we sat there for a while, and Cleo would go check something out, then hang out right at the front of the enclosure as close as she could get to us, then go check out something else, then come back. She seemed to trying to get our attention... Probably hungry?

But I've rambled on too much here and lost my point... which is... the lumpy bumpy thing... normal?
    - Rick

0.1 Ball Python (Cleo)
    0.1 Surinam BCC (Carmen)
    1.0 Motley sunglow cornsnake (Jenson)
    1.0 Albino Burmese (Lourdes)

Thanks

Re: Lumpy-n-bumpy Ball

We definitely need pics....otherwise a ball with clear and distinct lumps and bumps is probably not a healthy thing.....
    -Brad

Thanks

Well I would provide pictures... but she isn't lumpy and bumpy anymore. Once she started moving around they went away.
    - Rick

0.1 Ball Python (Cleo)
    0.1 Surinam BCC (Carmen)
    1.0 Motley sunglow cornsnake (Jenson)
    1.0 Albino Burmese (Lourdes)

Thanks

I have personally never seen any of our snakes look like that. Of course, right after they eat, there is a lump in their belly, but it's clear and distinct and in one place. It's obvious that the lump is a rodent, and it's usually gone the next day or the day after at the latest. Without actually seeing what you're describing, I'm having trouble visualizing it. If it happens again, please take photos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smynx
    If it happens again, please take photos.
    Definitely. We'll both keep a close eye on her and get photos up ASAP if we see it again.
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)