Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,342

2 members and 3,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User myballsandmyword's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Yippie! finally perfect shed. . but. . . ?

All thanks to this forum my bp has just had its first 1 piece shed(under my care) in less that 7 hours after I soaked him, his last 3 took weeks, and were never completley gone, even after soaks and damp cloth bag rubs, (I WAS way uneduacated) But this one was perfect with the exception that there is green spots in some areas of the old skin, couple on the his face and another peanut sized spot on the spine area where he did have some rough spots, he was just at the vet last week for suspected RI, but deemed healthy.
    Is the green something to be worried about? I search and found nothing!

thanks in advance for any advice!

Thanks

Re: Yippie! finally perfect shed. . but. . . ?

congrats
    0.1 BP - Karma
    1.0 JCP - Tre
    0.1 RTB - Pixel
    1.0 Burm - Boost
    ---- non herp
    1.0 Lab Mix - Gauge
    0.1 Black Cat - Chloe
    1.0 Boy Toy - Jared

Thanks

The only colored spots (for major concern) I can think of are rust colored, so I'm not too sure what you're seeing. Maybe try and get a picture of it.

Oh, and congrats on the shed.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

here ya go, can't believe my camera actually captured it, gonna make em big so u can see. .

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

That is odd looking. You did say that the last shed was never fully complete? Could it be areas of left-over sheds that have finally come off? The build up of layers of old skin might look like that.....but that's just a guess on my part. Hopefully someone else has a more confident answer!
    -- Judy

Thanks

well the pieces eventially came off once I read about soaking etc, it mainly stayed around his neck, he hated me touching around there,
    about 5-6 weeks ago he was bit once or twice by a gerbal (like I previously mentioned I was uneducated) how ever the wound never even really looked like one, it just looked like a couple flaked scales, I pointed that out to my vet the other day and he said it would come off with the shed, which it did and he's more beautifull than ever now, I just want to be sure there wasn't/isn't a non-visable infection or something???!!

fyi----his substrate is an over sized black tee shirt, changed weekly.

Thanks

Talking Re: Yippie! finally perfect shed. . but. . . ?

figured it out!! and it explains why no body's heard of that!
    boy do I feel silly for freaking, with out thinking, but the green is what threw me off,
    Ralf was choosing security over temperature once I introduced his second hide, he was STAYING on the cool side cause that rock was smaller and he felt more snug and safe in it, sooooo, I took each hide and cut out a card board "wall" pefectly shaped form roof to floor, and scotch taped it in there, Buuuuut, cardboard looked guaty, and Ralf thought it was Tacky J/K!
    So I took a crayola magic marker and colored his new wall black so you see no card board, which by the way he now uses both rocks and fits a perfect coil in each.
    But he did his shed w/o leaving the hide(crawling in circles) so I guess the 75% humidity moistened things up and he rubbed all over his magic marker wall.

Thanks

I was wondering if you might post a few pictures of your set-up from a couple of views. I'm a tad confused over the cardboard walls/rock thing and it's probably easier to see in pictures for me.

Thanks!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

A word of caution here. Magic Markers are a known inhalant abuse issue with humans. The fumes inhaled from your average Magic Marker quickly cross the lung and blood/brain barrier. The toxins are stored in the brain and other fatty tissues in human beings. In humans the effects of long term Magic Marker exposure, in the form of inhaling, are permanent brain damage, kidney/liver/heart/lung and nerve damage up to and including death.

I am concerned about your snake's wellbeing from constant exposure, both in the form of inhalation and absorption.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

the pic below shows the opening in the back of the rock, so u can see how he'd feel in secure,--- his tank has been some what re-arranged since this pic

and here's a couple quick cell phone pics showing what I did to the left hide, he just ate 2 mice and is under the right side hide now,(so no pics) but I basically cut a arch shaped piece of cardboard with flat bottom and illuminated 25% (everything from the right side of the entrance over) of the space in the hide with the new "wall" - there are more pictures in the "pictures" forum currently on page 3. --- also the marker I used was a crayola, washable one, no scent at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast