Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

2 members and 3,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: Where do you locate your thermostat probe?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Directly on the heating element

113 36.93%
  • On the bottom of the enclosure above the UTH

90 29.41%
  • On top of the substrate

81 26.47%
  • Other

22 7.19%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Where do you place your thermostat probe?

So that seemed to do the trick. Now I have to put it at like 97 or 98 to get 93 in the tubs but it seems more stable. Ill know more tomorrrow AM. Now, this is the first time i've used 4" flexwatt. It doesnt seem to me that it creates a big enough hot spot. Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks

sounds good man, if the back of the tub is in the low 90's, the room temp will be the cool end of the tub. i don't have alot of knowledge with open racks but there are alot of freedom breeders out there with 3 in. flex in them! the flex should do fine. i think the key to open racks is stability and keeping the room warm and humid.

vaughn

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kavmon
    sounds good man, if the back of the tub is in the low 90's, the room temp will be the cool end of the tub. i don't have alot of knowledge with open racks but there are alot of freedom breeders out there with 3 in. flex in them! the flex should do fine. i think the key to open racks is stability and keeping the room warm and humid.

vaughn
    Sounds about right. I'm just so used to 11" flex and that huge hot spot. Seems so thin...

Thanks

Alright so let me make sure I do this prrrrroperly. I have my rack and my thermostat (Herpstat ND). I place the probe from the Herpstat directly on the heating source and set the temp at about 93.

THEN, i put an acurite INSIDE the cage, and put the probe from the acurite on the warm side. If the temps stabilize and the warm side reads 89 on the Acurite, then i bump up the thermostat to 94, then 95, then 96 etc until my thermometer inside the cage reads properly at about 93??

Thanks

with proportional stats, i foil/duct tape the probe directly to the flexwatt. this way you are directly controlling the temp of the flexwatt. use an accurite to measure temps in the rear and front of the tubs, adjust stat to get your temps right, this will take a few hours. in my room when i set the helix to 94, it gives me a hot side of 90-93, my room is the cool end at 82-84.

vaughn

Thanks

cool OK it's beginning to make sence to me now how it all works out. it's so simple...sheesh

Thanks

I just installed a herpstat 2 and placed the probe right next to the acu-rite inside the tub to see how accurate they are. As a result, I found that the acu-rite is about 3 degrees higher than the herpstat 2. (or the herpstat is 3 degrees lower). I am not really sure why they would be off by this much. The herpstat says accurate within .9 degrees. Not sure the acu-rite is... But still...that would not explain a 3 degree difference. Not sure which one to believe ....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PipeDADDY
    I just installed a herpstat 2 and placed the probe right next to the acu-rite inside the tub to see how accurate they are. As a result, I found that the acu-rite is about 3 degrees higher than the herpstat 2. (or the herpstat is 3 degrees lower). I am not really sure why they would be off by this much. The herpstat says accurate within .9 degrees. Not sure the acu-rite is... But still...that would not explain a 3 degree difference. Not sure which one to believe ....
    Most digital thermometers are + or - 2 degrees, so it very well could be off by that much. 2 + .9= 2.9 degrees.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    Most digital thermometers are + or - 2 degrees, so it very well could be off by that much. 2 + .9= 2.9 degrees.
    So should I assume the actual temp is in the middle? The actual temp is 1.5 degree lower than the acu-rite reports and the actual temp is 1.5 degrees higher than the herpstat?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PipeDADDY
    So should I assume the actual temp is in the middle? The actual temp is 1.5 degree lower than the acu-rite reports and the actual temp is 1.5 degrees higher than the herpstat?
    I would say don't get too neurotic about your temps. 82-84 on the cool and 92-94 on the hot. With a quality stat, trust that it is doing what you expect it to do and spot check occasionally or if something seems out of the ordinary.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast