Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

0 members and 3,155 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,550
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
    Thanks

New Pics of Malachi & Saoirse

Here's Malachi, our little 100% het for albino male bred by Adam of 8BallPythons. Malachi's just about 6.5 months old now and weighed 310 grams tonight. We just love the little guy and his spunky attitude!

This is Saoirse, our WC rescue, who despite going on a winter fast is holding tight at 800 grams (up from 620 when we got her not long ago). She's obviously still in need of a weight gain, but she's starting to shine and becoming much more comfortable around humans and with gentle handling we are sure she'll continue on that path. She's probably our most worried over, fussed over snake but there's something just very endearing about her.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New Pics of Malachi & Saoirse

I love little Malachi, he is such a handsome fat boy! And Saoirse is looking really nice too! It's wonderful to hear about her improvements in your care!

Thanks

Thanks Robin. We always think of Adam as Saoirse's "godfather" LOL. He was the first person I called for advice so that Mike and I felt in anyway able to rehabilitate Saoirse. He's been a constant support for us in learning how a wild caught adult differs from a captive born juvenile and how to adjust our husbandry to encourage her recovery. It's still a long road ahead with her but that's okay...we were always in it for the long run anyways.

Malachi is a little porker! Boy Adam didn't "oversell" this snake when he said he was an aggressive eater LOL! That male has never met a baby rat he didn't like let me tell you and I swear he knows the minute it becomes feeding day and is waiting with anticipation for the cracking open of his tub. A real joy to raise!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I have a big soft spot for Saoirse. I'm glad to hear that you've gotten her weight up a bit, Hopefully she'll come around in the spring. *keeping fingers crossed*
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

We're hoping too Christie and are taking Adam's suggestions about adjusting her heat a bit and keeping her on a strict 14 hour light/10 hour dark schedule. That is an excellent idea folks and has snapped both Rionach and Kyna out of their winter fasts, though they only lasted 2 or 3 weeks.

I know you always enquire after her and really appreciate your interest Christie (as well as the whole forum). She seems well enough in herself and not losing any significant weight (her best weight was 900 grams before the fast started mid-October). She is still offered a prey item every Thursday and I reserve the darkest rats for her hoping they might be similar to her wild prey type. She is showing a tad more interest these past couple of weeks and seems more "awake" generally so we are plugging along waiting it out.

On the upside she's almost completely lost her shy, scared attitude and has taken to handling beautifully, though we'll still keep it to a minimum with her until we see a stronger feeding pattern. She's stopped balling up tight at the slightest thing and has even done a few bratty snake things which just thrill me to bits!

She's still Mike's sucky snake and it still makes me all smooshy inside to see her trust in him and his obvious deep caring for this special female.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    On the upside she's almost completely lost her shy, scared attitude and has taken to handling beautifully, though we'll still keep it to a minimum with her until we see a stronger feeding pattern. She's stopped balling up tight at the slightest thing and has even done a few bratty snake things which just thrill me to bits!
    Has she been listening to the snakey grapevine, about what Bran gets away with? LOL!! I'm glad she's calmed down so much. Now if only she'd pack on some weight. C'mon spring! Hopefully she'll get back in the groove soon. I always love hearing about her (and all the kiddos)
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Both of them are looking real good
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu