Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

1 members and 3,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Start process anytime??

Well, I was thinking....

the snakes don't actually know its winter or summer or whatever, so can you actually start cool down and the rest of the process anytime during the year?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Start process anytime??

They are more tuned into the outside environment than you could imagine.

It can be done, every year more and more ball python breeders are breeding year round, but I'm not convinced that they are as consistent and successful percentage wise as seasonal breeders.

There are several distinct advantages to using the winter to breed your ball pythons ... natural light cycle, naturally cooler temps, low pressure systems created by winter storms ... all of these things are controllable either completely or in part during the rest of the year, but winter sure make them a heck of a lot easier.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you ... there are MANY MANY ways to be extremely successful with these animals and I'm sure that if you wanted to breed during other times of the year, you could make that work ... just sharing my experience and point of view.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

I would assume they do, cause even though my temps and stuff all stayed close to the same last winter, they still seemed to notice. Heck, my dragons notice, and thier ambient temps and basking spot temps have dropped by no more than 5 degrees, but they seem to know it is winter and have gone into winter shut down. So I would think a snake would know too.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks guys!

My female is quite ready yet, and probably wont be until summer. By then, I mind as well wait until winter.

I have never cycled them before, do you think this will make a difference? (Obviously, I have never bred before!) Do you have to cycle the snakes all their lives for them to reconize a cool down as breeding season, or can I just start this october and they'll chime in.... they are 5 years old.

Also, they were housed together for those 5 years. I just recently seperated them after learning my mistake.
    Last edited by adizziedoll; 01-13-2006 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adizziedoll
    Do you have to cycle the snakes all their lives for them to reconize a cool down as breeding season
    Nope, they know exactly what to do.

Waiting the extra couple months until the fall will allow you to put just that much more weight on your pair which should results in an extra egg or two and an overall healthier breeding experience.

The larger/older they are, the better.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Thanks guys!

My female is quite ready yet, and probably wont be until summer. By then, I mind as well wait until winter.

I have never cycled them before, do you think this will make a difference? (Obviously, I have never bred before!) Do you have to cycle the snakes all their lives for them to reconize a cool down as breeding season, or can I just start this october and they'll chime in.... they are 5 years old.

Also, they were housed together for those 5 years. I just recently seperated them after learning my mistake.
    Female ball pythons are ready to breed by thier third winter(3yrs old).If yours are 5yrs old and they have been seperate for a few months you might place them back together and they might breed.My next question and i am not trying to be a smart guy,are you sure you have a pair? I ask this because i have a female i recently bought and the guy had her with two males all the time well she laid eggs last year.I know most say keep them seperate or they will not breed but i guess she is the exception .
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Lol, yes I'm sure I have a pair ) When they were given to me, I was told which one was a male and which one was a female. Joe Compel kindly sexed my snakes last week at the White PLains Expo, and confirmed the assumed.
    I think she did not become gravid because 1.) there was no cycling and 2.) they were stressed from being together.

But of course, these are just my guesses...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Lol, yes I'm sure I have a pair ) When they were given to me, I was told which one was a male and which one was a female. Joe Compel kindly sexed my snakes last week at the White PLains Expo, and confirmed the assumed.
    I think she did not become gravid because 1.) there was no cycling and 2.) they were stressed from being together.

But of course, these are just my guesses...
    OK lol if Joe COMPEL sexedm i am sure they are a pair.Now on the reason why she did not become gravid.I do not cool down my ball pythons.Last year was my first year and now i have a pastel(my avatar) male.He is on his third and last female.Sometimes females might not like the male in turn she refuses to breed it happens.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    OK lol if Joe COMPEL sexedm i am sure they are a pair.Now on the reason why she did not become gravid.I do not cool down my ball pythons.Last year was my first year and now i have a pastel(my avatar) male.He is on his third and last female.Sometimes females might not like the male in turn she refuses to breed it happens.
    In my experience it is common for males and females that are housed together year round (especially for long periods of time) to not produce viable offspring. Males especially need some type of "trigger" to get them going even if you are not cycling temps ... living in solitude and being introduced to a female seems to be a very good "trigger".

Since the 70's it has been a pretty common practice for males and females to be housed separately and then introduced for breeding to insure success.

-adam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    Female ball pythons are ready to breed by thier third winter(3yrs old).If yours are 5yrs old and they have been seperate for a few months you might place them back together and they might breed.
    Really? I thought it was more of a weight thing, not so much an age thing. Thanks for clarifying that.
    Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast