Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,396

2 members and 3,394 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

View Poll Results: Where do you get your mice/rats/rabbits/birds/etc.(feeders)?

Voters
400. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy live and feed live

119 29.75%
  • Buy live and then pre-kill, but don't freeze

17 4.25%
  • Buy live and then pre-kill, then freeze

2 0.50%
  • Get them from friend/relative

2 0.50%
  • Breed them

61 15.25%
  • Buy Frozen then Thaw it

134 33.50%
  • Combination of either

65 16.25%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Poll- source of your mice/rats/rabbits/birds/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Shoot me an email.

-adam
    Thats bullcrap!!! I asked you like 50 times how to properly feed live and he only has to ask once lol
    1.0.0 Ball Python
    0.1.0 Corn Snake
    1.0.0 Boa Constrictor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman
    Thats bullcrap!!! I asked you like 50 times how to properly feed live and he only has to ask once lol
    And i tried to tell you like 50 times that your problems had nothing to do with feeding live ... sorry bud, I call em like I see them.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

The milksnake gets f/t mouse pinkies from the local pet store as no way am I breeding mice for one snake (or a hundred snakes....I am the world's worst mouse breeder! lol)

The BCI gets either p/k or live rats or baby meat rabbits though he will take any form of appropriate prey in any form you wish to offer it to him....Rauri's the world's easiest snake that way.

All the bp's get live appropriately sized rats that we breed here at home.

I'm glad you are finding this forum a bit more open minded about individual preferences in feeding method. I think we all pretty much agree that if feeding is done responsibly and appropriately, then it's about personal choice of the keeper as well as what the snake will respond to consistently and strongly.

Welcome to the forum!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Feed live. Got two in the mouse house fattening up now if for some unknown reason Ozzy comes off his annual winter fast.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jotay
    Feed live. Got two in the mouse house fattening up now if for some unknown reason Ozzy comes off his annual winter fast.
    Me too - though I've only got one mouse in there, and I call it "The Pantry." I think the little booger eats more than the rats do.
    Love to eat them mousies,
    Mousies what I love to eat,
    Bite they little heads off,
    Nibble on they tiny feet

--
    0.1.0 Bps (Her Royal Duchess Diamond Persnicketty the First, Last, and Only)
    0.1.0 Greencheek conures (Kiwi)
    0.1.0 Tucson Blond tarantula (no name yet)

Thanks

I feed f/t because it easiest for me. I get my f/t from Adam! LOL
    Bryce

0.1 Ball Python (A'Kashja)
    1.0 Golden Retriever/German Shepard Mix (Mowgli)

Thanks

Live and kicking over here.......I'll always support the "each keeper makes his own choice etc etc" concept, but from what I've experience on my own, the live feeders are the better feeders. Just an observation that I'm sure isn't the last word on it, but a personal observation nonetheless.....
    -Brad

Thanks

I feed live because when I fed f/t I had to practically beg and do a 'zombie mouse marionette theater' for like 45 min. to get my bp to even strike, but then she'd just drop it and wander off. With live it takes her less than 30 seconds to notice and strike the mouse. And, not a main reason, but an added bonus, f/t around here are ridiculously expensive, I'm taking $24+ for a 10 pack of adults, live are like $.80.
    "Wookies were slaves because the Empire couldn't tame Ewoks. You'd try to get them to do something, and they'd just bark at ya and throw a stick."

0.0.1 Ball Python (Bauhamat)
    1 Adopted Mutt (Odie)
    0.1 Rat (Shroom)

Thanks

We feed live and also breed rats because around here live rats are $4.99 a pop, no matter if they are little weaned rats or honking big jumbo's (not a bad deal on the jumbo but aaaaaaack! on the weans!) Other reasons too but cost is a major factor for us.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I'm one of the combo ppl....

My first snakes were only eating live. I was just in the process of getting Baby to take adult FT mice regularly when she passed to the great beyond.

P. Snake was live, but as he grew into the rat pups, I had switched him to FT. Right now, he's in a fast (and I've wasted 3 pups) trying to get him to eat. No matter how hard I try, the prey always ends up wet, and at first that didn't bother him, but the rat can dance FOREVER and he won't strike. LOTS of tongue but nothing else. Even at night. I broke down and finally fed him a live adult mouse, but now that I have rat beebies, I'm going to try to get him to take a live pup, then maybe back onto FT. < I just bought 75 of the little boogers, not knowing he'd hunger strike. > I'll try to keep the rat pups alive for P***y until he eats again, but they grow sooo fast. big/strong too.

Felix was on live rat fuzzies, but he took a FT for the first time w/o any qualms on Friday.

Wrigley hasn't given me any problems. When I got him he was eating FT, I ran out so switched to live and now he's eating a sm FT rat. Oreo the teeeeeeny-weeeeny baby refused the FT pinky the first time. The WWOTW mouse just had babies, so I got a live one. Witch has killed her litter < again! *$&$&$&$&&$*(%(%(%> so this last feeding, after a 2nd attempt, Oreo actually ate the FT. I think I'm giving up on breeding my own mice, as long as Oreo will keep taking FTs. I REALLY DON'T want to have to brain a pinky to get her to eat, but since she's only an earthworm in disguise I want her to stay healthy and grow. Everyone else is eating FT sized appropriately.

As long as you follow the right procedures for safety, temp etc. feeding preferences should be a personal choice between you (for convenience and price) and your snake (whatever s/he'll eat). If we're going to keep them as pets/a hobby, it's up to us to see that they're cared for PROPERLY, no matter how it's done.

Slamming 'em into the wall or hitting 'em w/a heavy object is BAAAAAAAAAD. Sometimes they DON'T DIE right away. Nicer to gas 'em first, then freeze 'em. My complete CO setup only cost me $44 and will last for months. I put them in a baggie, press the air out, put the gas in. When they're done, I toss 'em in the freezer---they're already in the freezer bag.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast