Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,204

0 members and 3,204 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My snake won't eat, help!!!

Well I got my 6-month old Ball Python 2 weeks ago and I have him in a 10-gallon glass aquarium. I got the snake from a breeder near me, he is captive breed and an established eater. Anyhow, I bought a bunch of frozen mice from Big Cheese Rodents, I thawed a couple out last night in warm water (inside a zip lock bag), and then went to feed my snake.. He just looked around at the mice, put his face up to it, sniffed it, touched it with his head, and did nothing else. I left 2 mice in his cage overnight thinking maybe he wanted to eat them in the dark, but that didn't do anything, the mice were still there this morning.. now, for the last few days, the snake has not come out of his hide box. I noticed last night that his eyes are sort of grayed out looking, maybe he is about to shed? Do these snakes usually NOT eat before a shed? Do they usually stay in their hides for a while before they shed?

I am just concerned that he didn't eat, and also concerned that if he is going to shed, my low humidity is going to be a problem. I am only able to maintain about 30-40% humidity in his cage with this overhead heat lamp and screen lid. I do mist his cage everyday but that only raises the humifity about 10% for only a short time until the lamp dries everything up again..

when should I try feeding him again? is this normal?

Thanks

Re: My snake won't eat, help!!!

Do these snakes usually NOT eat before a shed? Do they usually stay in their hides for a while before they shed?

Yes and Yes

Thanks

Yes, you will notice a big decrease in their activity before a shed. That's always my first indication. Then sometimes you'll see a pink belly, and the blue eyes. It's a personal and snake preference as to whether you offer food during a shed or not. I have a baby who's completely blue, but he ate last night no problem. In fact the majority of mine do eat in shed. Although I have one girl, who I don't even bother with if she's in shed since she almost never eats.

If your snake hasn't eaten, make sure your temps are correct, two hides (one on each side), and reduce any handling. If everything is ok otherwise, then just wait until the shed is finished and try again next week.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I am afraid he isn't going to be able to shed the right way with my low humidity 30-40%

I can't keep the humidity higher than this in that glass tank and I don't want to move him right now becasue it might make him very uneasy..

I am running about 90-94 degrees on the hot side, and around 75-80 on the cool side..

Thanks

You can always try adding a humid hide to the enclosure. A small plastic container with a entry hole. Add in some damp (not dripping!) paper towels, or moss. Voila! That should help.

If the shed doesn't go well, then just be prepared to soak the snake afterward. Again get a small plastic container, fill with tepid water to about half way up the snake. Put the snake in, and close the container. Put the container back into the enclosure. Leave for 1 hour. Then gently wipe off the shed. Repeat the next day until all of the shed is off.

Oh and try and bump up those cool side temps. Try not to let it drop below 80. I have to use a space heater in my house.

Christie
    Reptile Geek

Then you Stand

Thanks

what's tepid water?

what if you don't wipe off all the shed, is it dangerous to the snake to have old shed on him?

Thanks

Not hot, not cold. Lukewarm.

You really want to get off as much shed as possible. Retained eyecaps can cause damage if they're retained for awhile. You can also have circulatory issue if have shed that completely encircles the snake. It's best to get all the shed off. It's really not hard. Try the humid hide and soaking and you'll be fine.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Then you Stand

Thanks

well just an update, last night I took the snake out of the cage, he hasn't come out of his hide for almost a week now, even at night I don't see him come out. But anyhow, I took him out and his eyes look black again, and he did not shed, so maybe he doesn't have to shed now? I don't know what the deal is, last week his eyes were like a hazed over blueish/gray, now they are normal black again. Anyhow, I put a little tub of water with a lid INSIDE his hide today. I cut a hole in the lid so he can go INTO the water if he wants. Otherwise he can just sit ONTOP of the lid in his hide ABOVE the water. As you know I am having a problem keeping my humidity above 35%. Well this morning, I look in his cage, and he was INSIDE the water containing which is INSIDE his hide.. so I guess he likes soaking in there. I also caught him drinking water the other night too...

anyhow, how often should I change this water in his hide that he is just laying in?

and when should I try feeding him again since it looks like he isn't going to shed now? he hasn't eaten for over 2 weeks now and I am getting concerned.. (he never ate for me, only ate at the breeders when I picked him up) I am trying to give him frozen/thawed and the breeder was feeding him live/just killed.. could this be why?

Thanks

Dude have you done any research about ball pythons or snakes in general?

If he was in blue...he is going to shed. Their eyes go back to a "normal" color prior to shedding maybe 1-3 days after that point and they will shed...be patient.....don't keep trying to feed him leave him alone and keep the humidity up above %70 till he sheds...then try feeding heim again...

Thanks

He is still in the process of shedding, their eyes clear up right before the shed. Keep misting him until he sheds, I would also wait to feed him until he has shed. Dont panic, everything will be fine. I have several ball pythons that wont eat during their shed process, but as soon as its over they are ready to start eating again.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast