Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,338

4 members and 3,334 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Ball python head burrowing

I recently got my first ball python and he’s just over a year old. I’ve noticed that when he’s in his hides he burrows his head under them and peaks out from a little hole underneath the hide. He does this on both ends of his tank and it’s only in his hides. I’ve read that burrowing within ball pythons can be a sign of stress.. I was wondering if this is an issue or if he’s just curious and is peaking his head out from underneath!

Thanks

Re: Ball python head burrowing

Ball pythons will burrow, bask, and climb in the wild and if given the chance in captivity as well, but I've never seen burrowing described as a sign of stress. From the way you worded it I'm gathering that he is sticking his head out of the opening of the hide? Or is he pushing his head underneath the hide not where the opening is? Bp's are ambush hunters (mostly) and this could just be him waiting for food to arrive. Hope you enjoy your time here and congrats on the bp! If you have photos feel free to share

Hope you get this figured out!
    Last edited by BeansTheDerp; 03-06-2024 at 01:50 AM.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    It's hard to say what's going on- pics would really help. Also, how long have you had him & are you handling him at all?

BPs are ambush predators, so often they wait for prey from a safe place. Maybe his hides aren't quite right (ie. don't feel secure enough for him). Like I said, pics & more info would help.

What kind of heat are you using? (UTH or overhead???) And how deep is the substrate? What are the temps. in the enclosure? I'm asking because if using UTH & deep substrate, he might feel the need to burrow for heat, rather than "security". Or if you're handling a new snake, he may be burrowing to try to avoid you (!) but he's still hungry enough to be watching for food. See?

By the way,
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-06-2024 at 09:45 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (03-06-2024),Homebody (03-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Re: Ball python head burrowing

Quote Originally Posted by Jorm View Post
    I recently got my first ball python and he’s just over a year old. I’ve noticed that when he’s in his hides he burrows his head under them and peaks out from a little hole underneath the hide. He does this on both ends of his tank and it’s only in his hides. I’ve read that burrowing within ball pythons can be a sign of stress.. I was wondering if this is an issue or if he’s just curious and is peaking his head out from underneath!
    The behavior you describe wouldn't concern me at all.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (03-06-2024)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 843 Posts
    Knowing more information about his setup as Bogertophis asked can help us give you a better idea.

Behaviors in ball pythons can be very nuanced...and it can be difficult for new keepers to really ID what's going on. Burrowing can indeed be a sign of stress, but in this case, I don't quite think it is.
    It sounds more like the actual 'door' to his hide and maybe the hide itself may be too big or open, so he made himself a comfortable little hideout. You can try putting some moss or crumpled paper inside to make it feel like a tighter space for now.

Being ambush hunters, him peeking his head out from there is actual a good sign. Typically that's the signal that they're going to be on the lookout for food to come by. So just make sure not to wiggle your fingers in front of him XD

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (03-06-2024),Bogertophis (03-06-2024),Homebody (03-07-2024)