Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,612

1 members and 2,611 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

bhsurf4 (52)

» Stats

Members: 74,945
Threads: 248,467
Posts: 2,568,316
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Kayjudge22
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User bonito's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-2024
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Images: 3

    How are Thrive enclosures?

    I've been looking at enclosures for a BP and found this nice 40 gallon Thrive tank (for temperate reptiles) at PetSmart of all places. People seem quite happy with it from what I can tell, however I've seen some complaints about other Thrive products and obviously PetSmart isn't exactly known for its quality. It's about $200 so if it's not too shoddy I'd love to get it :)
    Has anyone else used this or a similar tank? I'm curious as to how it compares to more expensive options and whether I should just spend my money on one of those. Thanks!

  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran BeansTheDerp's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-25-2020
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    379
    Thanked 163 Times in 103 Posts
    Images: 5
    I haven't used thrive, but I do know that if you have an adult bp you are going to want something bigger than a 40 gallon. It is a good price but you can purchase 4x2x2 pvc enclosures that are better overall for $299 at dubia.com which is bigger and sold at a cheaper price for convenience.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

    bonito (02-12-2024),Homebody (02-11-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-11-2024)

  4. #3
    BPnet Veteran Homebody's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-19-2019
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    1,535
    Thanks
    5,247
    Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Images: 22

    Re: How are Thrive enclosures?

    Glass enclosures with screen tops are poor at retaining the heat and humidity ball pythons require. Put the money toward a PVC enclosure.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

    BeansTheDerp (02-11-2024),Bogertophis (02-11-2024),bonito (02-12-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-11-2024)

  6. #4
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    20,157
    Thanks
    28,035
    Thanked 19,690 Times in 11,776 Posts

    Re: How are Thrive enclosures?

    Quote Originally Posted by bonito View Post
    I've been looking at enclosures for a BP and found this nice 40 gallon Thrive tank (for temperate reptiles) at PetSmart of all places. People seem quite happy with it from what I can tell, however I've seen some complaints about other Thrive products and obviously PetSmart isn't exactly known for its quality. It's about $200 so if it's not too shoddy I'd love to get it
    Has anyone else used this or a similar tank? I'm curious as to how it compares to more expensive options and whether I should just spend my money on one of those. Thanks!
    I can't speak for Thrive products, as I've not used any of them, but is this for a male or female BP? Females tend to get bigger than males- so while 40 gal. is usually big enough for a male, it might not be for a female BP. And either way, if your BP is young, it's going to take a long time for either one to outgrow a 40 gal. size. I'm glad you're researching first & hopefully you'll get more input from others that may have used this specific product.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Armiyana (02-11-2024),BeansTheDerp (02-11-2024),bonito (02-12-2024),Homebody (02-11-2024)

  8. #5
    BPnet Veteran Homebody's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-19-2019
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    1,535
    Thanks
    5,247
    Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Images: 22

    Re: How are Thrive enclosures?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeansTheDerp View Post
    I haven't used thrive, but I do know that if you have an adult bp you are going to want something bigger than a 40 gallon. It is a good price but you can purchase 4x2x2 pvc enclosures that are better overall for $299 at dubia.com which is bigger and sold at a cheaper price for convenience.
    Those dubia.com enclosures have screen tops. They are better than this Thrive enclosure, but it's not what I would choose for a ball python.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

    Armiyana (02-11-2024),BeansTheDerp (02-11-2024),bonito (02-12-2024),Malum Argenteum (02-11-2024)

  10. #6
    BPnet Veteran BeansTheDerp's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-25-2020
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    379
    Thanked 163 Times in 103 Posts
    Images: 5

    Re: How are Thrive enclosures?

    Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Those dubia.com enclosures have screen tops. They are better than this Thrive enclosure, but it's not what I would choose for a ball python.

    Yes I agree, I figured they were looking for a cheaper option, plus there are ways to cover the screens, which is why I suggested it. Honestly I suggest something from custom reptile habitats more...
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

    bonito (02-12-2024),Homebody (02-11-2024)

  12. #7
    BPnet Veteran Malum Argenteum's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-17-2021
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    442
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 391 Posts
    Images: 3
    If a person is looking for an enclosure in that size range at the $200 price point, I'd argue for an Animal Plastics T3 -- I think the larger footprint is worth more than the 18" of height in the '40g breeder' size of tank for a BP.

    https://apcages.com/collections/terr...6l-x-24w-x-12h

    I haven't used a Thrive enclosure. I have been told that replacement parts are not available for them, so a broken door or top means the cage is a complete loss. That makes them a little less desirable than an ExoTerra, and Exos can be purchased at real herp shops (which I like to support over chain stores).

    I wouldn't recommend that anyone use a glass tank for a BP or any other snake that needs decent control over temps and moisture levels, simply for the far better conditions a PVC enclosure will provide.

    Keep in mind that a glass tank will likely need two heat sources (a heat mat and a heat lamp/CHE (ceramic heat emitter)/DHP(deep heat projector)). A PVC enclosure will need only one (an RHP). That makes a PVC enclosure less costly to set up heat for (only one heat unit, and only one channel of thermostatic control).

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

    Armiyana (02-11-2024),Bogertophis (02-12-2024),bonito (02-12-2024),Homebody (02-11-2024)

  14. #8
    Registered User bonito's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-2024
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Images: 3

    Re: How are Thrive enclosures?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    If a person is looking for an enclosure in that size range at the $200 price point, I'd argue for an Animal Plastics T3 -- I think the larger footprint is worth more than the 18" of height in the '40g breeder' size of tank for a BP.

    https://apcages.com/collections/terr...6l-x-24w-x-12h

    I haven't used a Thrive enclosure. I have been told that replacement parts are not available for them, so a broken door or top means the cage is a complete loss. That makes them a little less desirable than an ExoTerra, and Exos can be purchased at real herp shops (which I like to support over chain stores).

    I wouldn't recommend that anyone use a glass tank for a BP or any other snake that needs decent control over temps and moisture levels, simply for the far better conditions a PVC enclosure will provide.

    Keep in mind that a glass tank will likely need two heat sources (a heat mat and a heat lamp/CHE (ceramic heat emitter)/DHP(deep heat projector)). A PVC enclosure will need only one (an RHP). That makes a PVC enclosure less costly to set up heat for (only one heat unit, and only one channel of thermostatic control).
    That's a really good point! I'll look into those, thank you so much

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to bonito For This Useful Post:

    Malum Argenteum (02-12-2024)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1