Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

2 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 422 Posts

Re: Ball python enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Oh yeah, Either way I'm going to be scooping her poop and urates. I just enjoy bioactive set-ups. The clean up crew I got aren't big enough for her waste.
    One issue is that even with scooping, a substrate swap will be necessary eventually in an undersized "bioactive" due to buildup of organics from waste, minerals from water (an issue even if RO water is used), and possibly helminth and other parasites/pathogens. Even in a not-undersized system, much of the work of what I'd call a real bioactive enclosure (one that can fully process the waste of the resident animals for decades) is done by water that flows through the substrate and then removed from the system, much like in natural ecosystems (rivers carry away organics).

Tossing out isopods is environmentally problematic (they're invasive), so the discarding of such substrate is best avoided as long as possible. It is in fact illegal to release isopods into the wild in the US (without a permit, which won't be issued for this purpose), so no composting/reuse of the used substrate is possible (without pre-sterilizing anyway, which isn't something I'd enjoy doing).

Since the microfauna aren't doing any real work, it can be argued that using them is a complication with no benefit, and so a naturalistic (natural materials and live plants) enclosure has more to be said for it than does a "bioactive" one.

Your enclosure is visually very attractive, though it illustrates how anything but a traditional more utilitarian setup needs to be much larger. Much of the area in the enclosure isn't exactly usable by the snake. As a bit of an aside, I'd reconsider the sharp rocks to avoid any possible injuries (whether acute or from repeated contact).

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Malum Argenteum; 01-20-2024 at 04:38 PM. Reason: grammar

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-20-2024),Bogertophis (01-20-2024),Ruby (01-20-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,831 Times in 11,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Tossing out isopods is environmentally problematic (they're invasive), so the discarding of such substrate is best avoided as long as possible. It is in fact illegal to release isopods into the wild in the US (without a permit, which won't be issued for this purpose), so no composting/reuse of the used substrate is possible (without pre-sterilizing anyway, which isn't something I'd enjoy doing)....
    Funny (not!) how all the ads & people advocating bio-active enclosures never mention this issue. This seems like a vastly underrated problem that's "waiting to happen" (or already has).

I think if these things can't be properly & easily disposed of, they shouldn't allow them to be sold, because so many aren't even aware of this issue, or won't care.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-20-2024),Ruby (01-20-2024)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 842 Posts
    Yeah... I found out that rubber duckies are illegal in California, hahah. So that was where I realized my bioactive plans may be a no go. I did try some springtails for a bit when I was having some issues with some coco coir in my racks a few times. It helped for the issue at the time but wasn't anything stable.

Weirdly...I have seen someone use bioactive in a large rat cage before, but she has an active tub of substrate and cleanup crew she runs separately so she can change the rats out every couple of months as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Ruby (01-20-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    One issue is that even with scooping, a substrate swap will be necessary eventually in an undersized "bioactive" due to buildup of organics from waste, minerals from water (an issue even if RO water is used), and possibly helminth and other parasites/pathogens. Even in a not-undersized system, much of the work of what I'd call a real bioactive enclosure (one that can fully process the waste of the resident animals for decades) is done by water that flows through the substrate and then removed from the system, much like in natural ecosystems (rivers carry away organics).

Tossing out isopods is environmentally problematic (they're invasive), so the discarding of such substrate is best avoided as long as possible. It is in fact illegal to release isopods into the wild in the US (without a permit, which won't be issued for this purpose), so no composting/reuse of the used substrate is possible (without pre-sterilizing anyway, which isn't something I'd enjoy doing).

Since the microfauna aren't doing any real work, it can be argued that using them is a complication with no benefit, and so a naturalistic (natural materials and live plants) enclosure has more to be said for it than does a "bioactive" one.

Your enclosure is visually very attractive, though it illustrates how anything but a traditional more utilitarian setup needs to be much larger. Much of the area in the enclosure isn't exactly usable by the snake. As a bit of an aside, I'd reconsider the sharp rocks to avoid any possible injuries (whether acute or from repeated contact).

Just my two cents.

Wow, Thank you so much. I thought I did a decent amount of research on bioactive enclosures but NONE of my sources said anything like this. Thank you for this information!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (01-20-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Maybe? It might depend on where you live- how cold it is & how hard it is to keep enclosure warm enough, as that's almost twice the height- all that air will be hard to heat. I think if you need & want the extra work of 6' x 2', that 18" high would be better, if available, & if you can keep the temps. in the right range.

I struggle to maintain heat in the colder months, So I assume I'll have to find someone to make a custom 72x24x18 pvc enclosure. Thank you guys so much!
    Btw, The rocks may look a little sharp but I've sanded them and dulled the corners (And parts of the driftwood as well )

I'll keep this enclosure until she grows out of it, Then I'll upgrade and maybe try something other than bioactive. Malum Argenteum made some very good points.

Again, Thank you guys so much!! ❤️

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-20-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-20-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Wow, Thank you so much. I thought I did a decent amount of research on bioactive enclosures but NONE of my sources said anything like this. Thank you for this information!
    Yeah, the "bioactive" craze is based less on facts than I'd like a husbandry methodology to be. One real problem is that it is a housing method that is supposedly appropriate for virtually every species of reptile and amphibian. That sort of lowest common denominator thinking is pretty much the opposite of good care (which I think needs to be based on the species, and also the specifics of a keeper's situation including their experience level).

Another problem is that the "bioactive" bandwagon is very market-driven; the folks selling the materials are making up the rules. 'Bio-Activity and the Theory of Wild Re-Creation', the book that literally introduced the term 'bioactive' in this context was written by the "Head of Innovation" at a herp supplies company. One way to sell more stuff is to create a market, and he did that phenomenally well. That company is also responsible for a poorly thought out and inaccurately marketed line of supplements.

Of the 11 references on the Wikipedia page for 'bioactive terrarium', seven link to vendors' sales sites (and four of those seven are specifically from dart frog sites, so not very relevant to any other taxa). Perhaps worth mentioning is that since I last checked the Wikipedia page, at least three references have been changed, and at that time only 6 of 11 were from vendors' sites (oddly, all the reference links to the Biodude's copy are gone).

The pages on "bioactive" at the Reptifiles website (which I am not at all recommending) are written by the owner of The Biodude, a seller of "bioactive" kits and material.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-20-2024),Bogertophis (01-20-2024),Ruby (01-21-2024)

Thanks

Something that some groups still disagree with and argue against is giving ball pythons climbing space, even though they have some-what recently been discovered as semi arboreal with mostly the males spending the most time in trees. The new minimum size for a ball python enclosure is a 4x2x2, and it is recommended to give them an enclosure that will be as long as them on at least one side. Keeping your ball python in a setup that is cramped and doesn't let them use natural exploring skills can be bad for them physically as it can cause more fat buildup instead of muscle, and they need the enrichment for brain health. Sadly this information isn't heard as often seeing as that this research is only being newly spread and enforced and most keepers still go by old "standard" care which is now seen as outdated.
    Your enclosure looks beautiful by the way!
    Last edited by BeansTheDerp; 01-20-2024 at 09:32 PM.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (01-20-2024),Ruby (01-21-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeansTheDerp View Post
    they have some-what recently been discovered as semi arboreal with mostly the males spending the most time in trees.
    Well, at least as long ago as 26 years this observation was published.
    Sexual size dimorphism and natural history traits are correlated with intersexual dietary divergence in royal pythons (python regius) from the rainforests of southeastern Nigeria

This research found arboreality only in royal pythons less than 1 meter in length. I'd be curious to see more up to date research if you have citations.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-20-2024),Ruby (01-21-2024)

Thanks

Oh yes thank you! Better wording would have been that it has been recently pushed more in reptile keeping.
    I will for sure be finding those articles for you, a lot of them you can find yourself and you can find even more information if you check out reptiles and research. He has a channel on youtube, has a "Bachelor's degree in applied animal sciences (formally animal management)" (Copied and pasted from his own words). He does a lot of videos updating and correcting old reptile keeping and discusses the articles and new information found. He even has posts/articles(?) on his website: https://reptilesandresearch.org/
    Animals at home is also a good one for info. Reptifiles (website) has listed information but as far as listed sources I do not know.

Here are a few specific things I recommend checking out.

https://reptilesandresearch.org/rept...nimal-welfare/ - animal/reptile welfare paper
    https://reptilesandresearch.org/folk...dryinreptiles/ - reptile husbandry
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qh0Kirzn6A - one of the biggest ball python enclosures in a zoo(?) which is pretty amazing to see
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVPw_OxgbHE&t=1s - unlocking your ball pythons potential with Lori Torrini
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9DCqKD-U4o - Myths about reptile behavior with Lori Torrini
    https://journal.iaabcfoundation.org/...nt-for-snakes/ - enrichment for snakes article
    https://journal.iaabcfoundation.org/...uroenrichment/ - potential neural consequences for snakes under captive management article

edit: adding one more which is more on behavior than husbandry.

https://reptilesandresearch.org/rept...aviourwelfare/ - stereotypes in reptile behavior
    Last edited by BeansTheDerp; 01-21-2024 at 12:27 AM.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (01-21-2024),Ruby (01-21-2024)

Thanks
    Those are interesting links, thanks. Nothing on the R&R site regarding climbing, and only one hit for 'arboreal' (in a corn snake context). Some of the content there is pretty basic, and is rehashed from online hobby discussions. One example:

"Furthermore, if a ball python and a Burmese python are members of the same genus and are similar enough to breed and produce viable hybrids, then it could be argued that it is probable they are also similar enough that they can both cutaneous synthesis vitamin D through UV. " (from here: https://reptilesandresearch.org/do-snakes-need-uvb/)

This, like many simplified discussions of the topic, ignores (or is unaware of) the relevance of evolutionarily conserved genes. Though it does involve handwaving in that direction (the viable hybrid mention), whether an animal has the genetic and even physiological capacity for something doesn't entail that it is adaptive either in the wild environment or (even more so) the captive environment.

That UVB page also ignores the practical risks of providing UVB in captivity by novice keepers.

I've listened to a few AAH podcasts, and they discussed some thought provoking topics. I should check that one out more.

I've long been skeptical of Reptifiles, since it is a for profit site with lots of content written by someone with no first hand experience with the species being advised on.

None of this is to dismiss or criticize your posting of the links, exactly, but just to continue the discussion in a way that I hope readers find useful.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-21-2024),Ruby (01-21-2024)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast