Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,412

2 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ideas for climbable spaces

Hello everyone!

My BP Pretzel is currently 1.5yrs old, as a first time owner it's been wonderful watching him grow

Ever since he arrived I noticed he likes to climb. I have some branches in his enclosure and he would climb and sit on top of them sometimes. The branches aren't secured, just placed against the wall of the enclosure

Now that he's bigger and heavier, the branch tends to fall over everytime he tries to climb it
    I'd like to find a good way to secure the branches so that he can get on top of them without tipping them over. Since I wanna avoid drilling into the enclosure, I was thinking maybe using strong magnets?

I'm also open to other ideas that dont include the branches, I just wanna create a high place he can climb onto. I've seen some people use hammocks, but suction cups don't adhere well to my enclosure walls

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Re: Ideas for climbable spaces

In this set up, I have two long branches that are braced against the opposite corners, and a bench for a ledge. No drilling required.
    Last edited by Homebody; 01-11-2024 at 02:23 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2024),Cisco (01-11-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    In this set up, I have two long branches that are braced against the opposite corners, and a bench for a ledge. No drilling required.
    Wow, I've never seen branches that big for sale, did you get them outside and manually treated them? :O
    I like the bench idea too, sadly I don't think I have the space for that because of my heat sources

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Wow, I've never seen branches that big for sale, did you get them outside and manually treated them?
    That's right. Three coats of polyurethane.
    Last edited by Homebody; 01-11-2024 at 03:02 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Cisco (01-11-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    Wedging branches diagonally is what I do too, & yes, I use natural branches from my trees. You can't buy them as big as I need- I also use short pieces of covered "speaker wire" (very strong & flexible- NOT "Monster Cable" or anything like that- I mean the older, narrow stuff I have on hand) to twist around them where they cross each other if needed for stability- it's easy to un-do or re-do. Zip-ties work too, but you have to cut them off. I think branches are easier to install if your enclosure opens on top- not in front- btw.

In my largest tanks, the branches* only go in (fit) one or maybe two ways- sometimes when I clean late at night, it's like a puzzle trying to get them back in when I forget how I had them.*I often use 3 branches per tank- sometimes 4- and they're not straight "boring" branches either. But rat snakes love branches & I aim to please. You can also use a few bits of coated wire to attach a flat or shallow "basket" to such branches, to be used as a shelf by your snake. Snakes love those too- & woven baskets also have more traction than a flat "shelf" like some ppl install. You can find & buy such baskets very cheaply in thrift stores- & btw, I wash them off, & spray with the same chlorhexidine I wipe tanks out with. Dry before installing.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-11-2024 at 03:09 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Cisco (01-11-2024),Homebody (01-11-2024)

Thanks

I like the bench idea too, sadly I don't think I have the space for that because of my heat sources
    You can build your own to your desired height. It's easy. This is from a post earlier today.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2024),Cisco (01-11-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    You can build your own to your desired height. It's easy. This is from a post earlier today.
    I did something similar for the large boa I used to have- I built it so it would fit inside her huge tank (but with enough wiggle room so I could also remove it) & btw it was closed, not open. I cut 2 rounded doorways into the part facing into the rest of her tank & she seems to get a kick out of cruising in & out both doors. On top, I used a removeable non-slip lightweight carpet mat- they're washable if needed, but she never dumped on it. She loved using both the hide itself (it had UTH underneath) or basking on top (she had warmth overhead too), & she loved the traction from the carpet itself. The wood I used was waterproofed (fully coated) & I used water resistant tile board for the top, in case you're wondering. You can find all that at Home Depot & such places.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think branches are easier to install if your enclosure opens on top- not in front- btw.
    Mine is front opening, it's why I had an eye on hammocks too, seemed like an easy solution if only the suction cups would work :s

Maybe I'll try to build some sort of bench like Homebody suggested I also really liked the basket idea but I think I'd have to drill into the enclosure to install some sort of support for it

Thanks

Mine is front opening, it's why I had an eye on hammocks too, seemed like an easy solution if only the suction cups would work :s

Maybe I'll try to build some sort of bench like Homebody suggested I also really liked the basket idea but I think I'd have to drill into the enclosure to install some sort of support for it
    All you can do is work with what you have (in terms of enclosures) & as best you can. Many ways to do things creatively but BPs appreciate large "caves" (or bench or 2-story design, whatever you want to call it) because they're heavy-bodied snakes more suited to ground & low climbing opportunities anyway. The criss-crossing of branches is better for rat snakes anyway. But you can do a lot more than just adding a sub-floor as shown above. That would be an excellent start, anyway- more floor space yet plenty of room to hide, & just climbing on & off that upper level is good for them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-11-2024 at 04:01 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Cisco (01-11-2024)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 843 Posts
    You could maybe look into play spaces for birds like conures.
    They can have multiple types of things like the rope ladder and different bars attached to a tray or they can just be a driftwood attached to a stand.

What you would still need to be careful about is the spaces between things and the size of your snake. Don't let them get tied up in the rope or trapped in monkey bars. Lol

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast