Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

2 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    The point is, have you tried wiping it off? Speculation is pointless without knowing that.

I sure hope your lamps are controlled by a thermostat? FYI, snakes (especially nocturnal ones like BPs) don't like being subjected to bright day lights- you might want to re-think how you're heating. Bright lights causes them stress.

The UTH controlled with T-stat should be perfectly safe as long as you set it up right- measuring the temperature IN the tank right over the UTH without substrate, then adjusting t-stat so the actual temperature where your snake can touch is not over 90*. It doesn't matter what the t-stat is set to, what matters is the resulting warmth in the tank. Also, it takes time for temps. to settle- so don't make one initial adjustment & leave it alone- you need to check back on UTH heat, because it can take days or even a week to fully be effective- you may need to adjust the t-stat several times so it's not too hot- understand? That's because a UTH is slowly heating up everything in & around the tank- the furnishings etc. That's why we suggest setting up a new tank & testing the heat BEFORE a snake ever moves in, & making adjustments first, but "that ship has sailed". And also, you don't want substrate deeper than .5" over the UTH- because it's essentially "insulation" that prevents the heat from rising where you want it. See?

Snakes do appreciate "belly heat" (that's mostly what I use for my snakes) and also it's more efficient- heat rises, so UTH heat goes into the tank, whereas w/ overhead lights, most of the heat is going up up & away, never in the tank. I'd be surprised if your tank (especially on the floor where your snake lives) is actually warm enough, especially now in the winter. What are the actual temps? If you give more info (exactly what t-stat you're using & what UTH) we can help you make changes. Posting pics helps too. I hope you don't wait until your snake stops eating or gets sick to make adjustments.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-06-2024)

Thanks

Re: need help! im not sure if it's scale rot or tint from the substrate

Hi theres thanks for the advice, I wiped it off last night with wet towel, it did come off, theres still some dots left and the yellowish from the dyed moss, but it's way better now. before i just tried to rub it off with my hands and it's not going away. heres how she looks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seanvincent For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-07-2024)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12