Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,802

2 members and 2,800 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

need help! im not sure if it's scale rot or tint from the substrate

Hi good day everyone, I need help with my baby bp, I just have her for one month, shes eating and poops well. but I noticed her tail has a weird discoloration im not sure if it's from the substrate which is reptichip or she really has skin infections. I keep her in a 40g tank. thanks in advance, need your opinion guys. here are the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 843 Posts
    We're definitely going to need to know what the temperature are in there. And if there's any possible sharp or tight decorations they may have been squeezed into.

If it was discoloration from the substrate it would usually be on the belly and not on the back. I'm on my phone right now so I can't get the best look, but it could be something as simple as some poop... It can happen. Or I'm a little more worried about it being something like a burn or possibly some injury from squeezing into places like decor.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-06-2024),Bogertophis (01-06-2024)

Thanks

Re: need help! im not sure if it's scale rot or tint from the substrate

the temp is usually 84 to 88, and humidity is around 40-50. yeah i think decors have sharp edges.

Thanks

need help! im not sure if it's scale rot or tint from the substrate

I would like to know what enclosure type you have your bp in, as well as substrate and heat source? How long has your bp had this going on for ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seanvincent View Post
    Hi good day everyone, I need help with my baby bp, I just have her for one month, shes eating and poops well. but I noticed her tail has a weird discoloration im not sure if it's from the substrate which is reptichip or she really has skin infections.
    To clarify, you're saying that this:

used to to be white like this:
    Correct?
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    To be honest, that discoloration on her dorsal area look more to me like she had some runny stool & managed to smear some on herself. Did you look in her hides? (on the "walls & ceiling")

She's a beautiful snake, btw...even if she did get "dirty".

Another thing: When you want to know what something like that is, the first thing you do is take a soft damp cloth & try to gently wipe it off, see? "Lint" & substrate & snake poo all washes off.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like a skin infection or burn to me...but we're not in a position to tell, only you are, by first seeing if it comes right off with gentle washing.

I agree with Armiyana that if it was a burn it would usually be on the ventral (tummy) side, though not always (as when using overhead heat devices).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-06-2024),BeansTheDerp (01-06-2024),KingPythons (01-09-2024),Malum Argenteum (01-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seanvincent View Post
    the temp is usually 84 to 88, and humidity is around 40-50. yeah i think decors have sharp edges.
    It could also be a skin scrape & dried blood (from the color), so PLEASE get rid of decor with any sharp edges!!!

They make some cool looking things for tropical fish that have razor-sharp edges left inside that don't seem to bother fish, but can shred a snake that tries to snug into them as a "hide". Get rid of that stuff & get proper safe hides A.S.A.P.- & in the meantime, use clean cardboard boxes with a hole cut for the doorway if you have to wait for them to be shipped to you. Even if that's NOT the issue (shown above), decor with sharp edges is an accident waiting to happen- it's like handing a toddler a sharp knife to go run & play with.

Your warmest temps. should be closer to 88* (under 90* for safety), & the coolest temps. should be 77*+. Your humidity should be increased when the snake is in shed for sure, to about 65-75%. *****IF that discoloration is actually dried fecal material from sliding thru some "loose stool", it might be the result of poor digestion- ie. not being warm enough to digest fully.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-06-2024 at 11:59 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-06-2024),BeansTheDerp (01-06-2024)

Thanks

Also a tip regarding decor with sharp edges, like Bogertophis said you really should just stay away from it in general but if it's something that only had one sharp edge that was a defect or something then I usually sand the edges down with sand paper and it ends up working just fine. If it's a super sharp edge and would take way too long to sand down then just don't get it.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-06-2024)

Thanks

I have 40g glass enclosure. substrate is reptichip. i think it's been 1 week since I first noticed it. before she has a green belly which im pretty sure she got it from the humid hide filled with green moss.

Thanks

my heat source is lamp with 100w day and night bulb both woth timers. , it also has a heatpad plugged into a thermostat, but I don't use it anymore , I got scared it might burn my snake, about the stool, I think her poop looks good, it's long and black she pooped twice already in 1 month. i feed her every wednesday and sunday with adult mice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast