Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

2 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Better way to manage Day/Night cycle?

Hello, I have an 8 month old pied het albino ball that I got 4 months ago. Forgive me if I ask anything obvious, because this is my first ever ball python

I heard that I should try to emulate a day-night cycle, and I did that by putting a black cover on the front of the terrarium when night comes. However, this obviously isn't very good for looking at a snake that is primarily active at nighttime.

Any other ideas on achieving a better compromise?
    I'm thinking that I could replace the opaque black cover with black cellophane, but what do you guys think?

Thanks

Re: Better way to manage Day/Night cycle?

When it's nighttime, I'm guessing that you would be asleep and therefore your lights are going to be off, so I don't think you are going to need to cover the enclosure sides at all. With my ball python, he has a light that stays on from morning till night and then the lights in his enclosure and my room are off and he has his day and night cycle right there! What kind of lighting do you have for your snake?

P.S
    don't be scared to ask questions! That's what we're here for! Hope this helps you by the way
    Last edited by BeansTheDerp; 12-23-2023 at 03:14 AM.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts
    If you're not up all night, I wouldn't worry about it. My snakes go to bed (ie. get room darkness) when I do. And I stay up late...so, not to worry. Your snake will adapt to your hours. If you're worried about having bright light in the room all evening, you could put a dark towel over part of his home to help block some of the light. It's nice that you care enough to ask- but for the most part, a day-night cycle for snakes just means the normal room light from windows & human co-occupation.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-23-2023),Homebody (12-24-2023)

Thanks

Wink Re: Better way to manage Day/Night cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If you're not up all night, I wouldn't worry about it. My snakes go to bed (ie. get room darkness) when I do. And I stay up late...so, not to worry. Your snake will adapt to your hours. If you're worried about having bright light in the room all evening, you could put a dark towel over part of his home to help block some of the light. It's nice that you care enough to ask- but for the most part, a day-night cycle for snakes just means the normal room light from windows & human co-occupation.
    Ok, thanks for telling me!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts
    One other thing I do- one bedroom has many of my snakes in, & I often leave the shades down & drapes closed until later morning, so they can "sleep in"- But don't stress if you can't do that.

So while I'm thinking about it, in case you ever notice that your snake wants to fast in winter: Many snakes are in tune with day-length (along with cooler temperatures) to know when to refuse food & brumate to survive the chill of winter. Days are noticeably shorter in winter.

Getting caught with food in their stomach when it's too cold to digest can sicken & kill a wild snake- so that's how this instinct of refusing food in chilly weather came about- those that ate anyway, just died off & didn't reproduce. So one way to forestall winter fasting in your pet is to artificially length their day with lights- so there ya go.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-23-2023 at 08:20 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-23-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    One other thing I do- one bedroom has many of my snakes in, & I often leave the shades down & drapes closed until later morning, so they can "sleep in"- But don't stress if you can't do that.

So while I'm thinking about it, in case you ever notice that your snake wants to fast in winter: Many snakes are in tune with day-length (along with cooler temperatures) to know when to refuse food & brumate to survive the chill of winter. Days are noticeably shorter in winter.

Getting caught with food in their stomach when it's too cold to digest can sicken & kill a wild snake- so that's how this instinct of refusing food in chilly weather came about- those that ate anyway, just died off & didn't reproduce. So one way to forestall winter fasting in your pet is to artificially length their day with lights- so there ya go.
    Alright, thanks for letting me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,188 Posts

I can't say that I know a better way. I don't have lights in my snake's enclosure and I keep it in my living room. As a result, he has light from when I get up in the morning until when I go to bed at night. Sometimes, that's 18 hours. I haven't noticed any ill effects.

I'll add that I think that his day/night cycle is influenced by other things than just the amount of light. My snake's active in the evenings even though the lights are on. He doesn't wait for the lights to go out.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)