Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,464

2 members and 3,462 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feeding

Thanks

Re: Feeding

Oh he takes it any time its not soaking wet, I have a sensitive sense of smell and have noticed a change in smell (like wet rat smell, kind of like dogs) but maybe he has a texture thing or something (kidding but maybe it's possible) he also just isn't a fan of water. If I try to mist his enclosure and water touches his face he kind of freaks out, same with a soaking wet rat touching him he freaks out just the same and is so disgusted by it... In his defense he has gotten less picky overtime but he still gets iffy about stuff. Little diva... Sure is lucky he's cute!
    he's good with eating his food just sometimes acts like a toddler that had broccoli sat in front of him
    Last edited by BeansTheDerp; 12-26-2023 at 07:36 AM.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nvmycj View Post
    ...out of curiosity, why keep them in ziplock bag? ...
    I know I wasn't the one you asked, but I'll answer anyway. I do not thaw rodents in zip-lock bags, btw- I use a designated pail for thawing rodents, & I do so directly in the water because it's much faster that way. I don't find that to be a problem.

First off, thaw rodents completely in cool water first- not hot. This is to reduce spoilage.

Once thawed, only then put them in very warm water for several minutes to raise their temperature. This might not matter as much for small prey items, but for larger rats, they take a long time to thaw in the middle- even longer when they're in a zip-lock bag, because the little bit of air in the bag acts as insulation. Thawing directly in water is faster, but it does wash off some of the rodent's scent too, which your snake may or may not miss? (I blot off feeders on paper towels after thawing so they're not dripping wet.) If your snake "needs more scent", I just pinch-damage the nose a bit with my feeding tongs right before feeding to release more of the rodent's scent & help the snake target the nose.

Back to the spoilage question- rats have thicker fur than mice, & larger ones take a lot longer to thaw. They may seem to be thawed on the outside, but still have ice in the middle, which can cause an awful regurgitation by the snake if it's eaten that way, so no matter what you're feeding, always palpate to make sure the rodent's body is soft throughout before offering to a snake.

If you thaw rodents in hot water, it raises the outer temperature enough to promote spoilage, while the inner regions are still icy for much longer. It's the same principle whether you're thawing snake food or a turkey for your own dinner (except that we don't eat raw meat, nor whole animals whose entrails are loaded with germs). Proper food thawing means keeping it cold enough to minimize spoilage that any warmth promotes. It's the same reason we thaw a turkey in the fridge, or more quickly in cold water- I've cooked a great many holiday meals & never gave anyone food poisoning. With snake food, many seem to get away with thawing in warm/hot water, because snakes have pretty tough digestion, but consider that not all snakes eat right away, & the longer that prey sits there at room temperature, the nastier it will get, & when the snake rejects it, or barfs it up later, I've never heard anyone blame their own thawing methods...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-26-2023),Ruby (12-26-2023)

Thanks

By the way, couldn't tell if you were just making a point or referring to me when saying to not thaw them in hot water, I thaw them for 12-14 hours in a minifridge before feeding day, when I do warm them up in the hot water. Wanted to make that clear just in case, I can't read tone very well especially over text.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeansTheDerp View Post
    By the way, couldn't tell if you were just making a point or referring to me when saying to not thaw them in hot water, I thaw them for 12-14 hours in a minifridge before feeding day, when I do warm them up in the hot water. Wanted to make that clear just in case, I can't read tone very well especially over text.
    I was just trying to clarify for anyone reading our forum as to the best way & the reasons behind it. So many are in a hurry & figure it's faster to just plunge frozen rodents right into hot water.

So every now & then I try to clarify why that's not the best way. When we're not specific in our posts, others get the wrong idea & copy what they assume we meant. I'm glad to know you're doing the right way- thanks.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-26-2023),Ruby (12-26-2023)

Thanks

I figured you were just making a point, just didn't want to take any chances!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I know I wasn't the one you asked, but I'll answer anyway. I do not thaw rodents in zip-lock bags, btw- I use a designated pail for thawing rodents, & I do so directly in the water because it's much faster that way. I don't find that to be a problem.

First off, thaw rodents completely in cool water first- not hot. This is to reduce spoilage.

Once thawed, only then put them in very warm water for several minutes to raise their temperature. This might not matter as much for small prey items, but for larger rats, they take a long time to thaw in the middle- even longer when they're in a zip-lock bag, because the little bit of air in the bag acts as insulation. Thawing directly in water is faster, but it does wash off some of the rodent's scent too, which your snake may or may not miss? (I blot off feeders on paper towels after thawing so they're not dripping wet.) If your snake "needs more scent", I just pinch-damage the nose a bit with my feeding tongs right before feeding to release more of the rodent's scent & help the snake target the nose.

Back to the spoilage question- rats have thicker fur than mice, & larger ones take a lot longer to thaw. They may seem to be thawed on the outside, but still have ice in the middle, which can cause an awful regurgitation by the snake if it's eaten that way, so no matter what you're feeding, always palpate to make sure the rodent's body is soft throughout before offering to a snake.

If you thaw rodents in hot water, it raises the outer temperature enough to promote spoilage, while the inner regions are still icy for much longer. It's the same principle whether you're thawing snake food or a turkey for your own dinner (except that we don't eat raw meat, nor whole animals whose entrails are loaded with germs). Proper food thawing means keeping it cold enough to minimize spoilage that any warmth promotes. It's the same reason we thaw a turkey in the fridge, or more quickly in cold water- I've cooked a great many holiday meals & never gave anyone food poisoning. With snake food, many seem to get away with thawing in warm/hot water, because snakes have pretty tough digestion, but consider that not all snakes eat right away, & the longer that prey sits there at room temperature, the nastier it will get, & when the snake rejects it, or barfs it up later, I've never heard anyone blame their own thawing methods...

Great points! Thanks again!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123