Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,388

1 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: BP substrate

Thanks

BP substrate

I've been struggling with money for a couple months now, and it's time to change my 1 1/2 year ball pythons substrate. Or, actually, past time to change, by a lot. There's a park nearby that nobody really plays on, and is far away from any busy streets, would it be okay if I used mulch from there just this once, until I can get some money? (Also, I've never posted anything anywhere, but I've gotten a lot of answers on here and decided to make an account and ask, so please be patient with me :))

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    No, I'd never do that- you could introduce all sorts of pathogens & even parasites to your pet. From wild animals as well as roaming cats & dogs, etc. Also, the park might have been sprayed with chemicals- or someone might have dumped stuff there, you have no way of knowing- it's way too risky.

The cheapest substrates aren't the best for BPs only because they don't hold humidity, which BPs need. BUT, if you provide a good (effective!) humid hide, you can get away with these other substrate options. I don't currently keep BPs, but I have in the past (about 10 BPs); I'm more of a colubrid keeper, & most of my snakes don't require so much humidity- those that do, have humid hides. One thing I use is clean shredded "office" paper (I shred all my bills & such). If you happen to use UTH heat, you'll also find that heat rises more readily thru these paper shreds. I first put down one layer of paper towels though, as it makes clean up much easier. (I also blend in about 1/3 Carefresh with the paper shreds, but don't use that for BPs- it's hygroscopic.)

Another thing that makes an excellent substrate is backless nylon (or polyester) indoor-outdoor carpeting, cut to fit. This is even better for a heavy-bodied snake like a BP because it stays in place. It's washable & can be disinfected & almost "never" wears out- seriously. So you'll save lots of money on substrate, but you will have to hand wash it, so there's that. But it offers good traction that snakes love (need), can be spot cleaned, & it allows heat to easily rise up through it. The best place to buy it is from the big 12' rolls in Home Depot- Lowe's type stores- it's sold by the foot, & can easily be cut to fit with scissors. No, it won't hold humidity, but you can do a humid hide, & if you can't afford sphagnum moss, use new, clean sponges instead (in a humid hide) to provide humidity. This carpeting isn't expensive, & will save lots of money in the long run, & it also makes a lot less waste.

This is an example of the carpet option: (it comes in lots of good colors too- it looks nice!)
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Select-Elem...pet/1000411979

BTW, if you go this route (indoor-outdoor carpet), get enough to cut several carpets to fit, so that a clean one is always ready when the snake soils their home. That way you can clean & replace very quickly. You can either scrape off the fecal material into your toilet, or scrape it off into your garden outside (that's what I do) before washing it. I use dish soap on the soiled spots, & handwashing the whole thing in my laundry sink, & then give it a thorough rinse. For a snake that wants/needs humidity, you don't even have to wait for it to dry (which it does pretty easily- hang it up vertically, the water comes out quickly). But you can also just shake it out & install it if you want- especially if you're using UTH, it will dry anyway, & add some humidity.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-21-2023 at 07:38 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-21-2023),BeansTheDerp (12-21-2023),Homebody (12-21-2023),Rebeltreestump (12-21-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 843 Posts
    I would never use mulch from a park as you don't know if it's been treated with anything for pests or mold Also, anything that you pick up from outside would need to be sterilized somehow or you risk passing on bacterial or fungal infections.

Something simple like paper towels or newspaper will work fine as a temporary measure. If you're worried about not feeling like a proper substrate, if you know someone with a paper shredder, just run some through there. Newspaper can just be a bit gross with the ink though too.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 12-21-2023 at 12:17 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-21-2023),Rebeltreestump (12-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: BP substrate

Orchid bark is fantastic

Looks great ( and natural)

Enhances the colour / markings of your snake

Great ti control humidity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-21-2023),Rebeltreestump (12-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeltreestump View Post
    ...would it be okay if I used mulch from there just this once, until I can get some money?
    Nope. I don't know where you live, but, in the city where I live, they put down rat poison the mulch. I kept my bp on newspaper with a humid hide for a year. He shed perfectly every time. Obviously, with newspaper, you need to clean up waste promptly. And at that time, I was keeping my bp in a sterilite tub, so I didn't need a particulate substrate to help retain humidity.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-21-2023 at 07:42 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-21-2023),Bogertophis (12-21-2023),Rebeltreestump (12-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 426 Posts
    A breeder block of Repti Chip is likely cheaper in the long run than buying pretty much anything from a pet store, and is a good substrate. Attentive spot cleaning can extend the useful life of substrate quite a bit, too.

I'd be careful with using substrate that might cause other complications depending on the exact situation. For example, if you're using a fish tank or other screen top enclosure, then a substrate that doesn't hold humidity might make the tank dry enough to cause problems. Just something to consider.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-21-2023),BeansTheDerp (12-21-2023),Bogertophis (12-21-2023),EL-Ziggy (12-22-2023),Homebody (12-21-2023),Rebeltreestump (12-21-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Orchid bark is fantastic

Looks great ( and natural)

Enhances the colour / markings of your snake

Great ti control humidity

I agree, orchid bark is nice, but it's also expensive, something the OP has mentioned is an issue here.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Rebeltreestump (12-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree, orchid bark is nice, but it's also expensive, something the OP has mentioned is an issue here.
    Isn’t Repti bark similar ?

Maybe cheaper ?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Rebeltreestump (12-22-2023)

Thanks

I hope so, I was able to get some yesterday

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Isn’t Repti bark similar ?

Maybe cheaper ?

Similar but certainly not the same, & also not that cheap, for someone short on money. And like most things, the smallest bag you can afford is usually the LEAST cost effective. Buying a bigger quantity usually saves $ (less per oz./or lb.) compared to the smaller bags.

Also, for someone trying to save money, it won't be the healthiest option, because when you try to spot-clean, the dry bits of urates & feces will disperse & mix in (ie. it's very hard to fully remove) so before too long, the whole substrate needs to be changed.

Contrast that with my suggestion to use indoor-outdoor carpets- you can re-wash & even disinfect an unlimited # of times, so you'll only spend money ONCE, & by keeping at least one spare clean carpet ready to go into the enclosure, the snake stays cleaner & healthier. But yes, the downside is that you have to hand-wash the carpets. I wouldn't want to keep a whole house-full of snakes on carpets, but it works great for just one or a few- & it's great for the budget-minded. A lot less to dispose of too- it's the 'greenest' option. Just something to consider.

I currently use carpet for my 6' Korean rat snake, because the other substrate I normally use for rat snakes (paper shreds/Carefresh over paper towels) he just thrashes by tunneling. He does very well on carpet- the carpet is firm enough that it discourages most burrowing. I prefer carpet for some snakes- I especially liked it for the large boa (BCI) I used to keep also- because heavy-bodied snakes tend to push around the other stuff too much. See? Just an option- use whatever you like. In contrast, my other rat snakes never mess up the 'paper blend' substrate, but if you had king snakes or gopher/bull snakes, I can guarantee they'll burrow. My rosy boa doesn't dig either- it just depends on the snakes you keep.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-22-2023 at 09:01 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-22-2023),Rebeltreestump (12-23-2023)