Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,243

1 members and 3,242 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Temp exposure concern - thoughts?

I normally keep my BP in an ambient 80 with a high 80's warm hide. I needed to transport her recently and stupidly carried her outside in 60 degree weather. The exposure was short, aprox 30 seconds total, but I was told that it could be enough to develop a respiratory infection. I didn't realize that could be an issue that fast.

She has gotten sick before when she was young. What do you think the chances are that she develops another RI with that brief 60 degree exposure?

I'll be more careful in the future for sure

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts

Re: Temp exposure concern - thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by lX V1P3R Xl View Post
    I normally keep my BP in an ambient 80 with a high 80's warm hide. I needed to transport her recently and stupidly carried her outside in 60 degree weather. The exposure was short, aprox 30 seconds total, but I was told that it could be enough to develop a respiratory infection. I didn't realize that could be an issue that fast.

She has gotten sick before when she was young. What do you think the chances are that she develops another RI with that brief 60 degree exposure?

I'll be more careful in the future for sure
    30 Seconds exposure? I don't think it's at all likely she'll get sick from that short exposure.

HOWEVER, when snakes (all kinds) are exposed to chilly air, they may instinctively jump to the conclusion that winter is here & it's time to refuse food, so as not to die from getting caught with undigestible food in their G.I. tract, which can actually kill them. That's why snakes evolved this way (refusing food in late fall thru winter)- those that failed to stop eating in cold weather did not survive to reproduce & become the snakes we have around today.

Snakes are SO easy to transport- first, secure them in a cloth "snake bag" or pillow case, then put that into an insulated lunch bag, a "coolers", & or a styro-foam shipping box. Any of these can all be used. Brief containment won't need air holes, longer containment will, depending on what you're using & how air-tight it is. In a pinch, I put a snake right in my shirt so my body heat keeps them cozy.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-17-2023),lX V1P3R Xl (11-17-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    30 Seconds exposure? I don't think it's at all likely she'll get sick from that short exposure.
    I agree. I wouldn't worry about such a brief exposure.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (11-17-2023),lX V1P3R Xl (11-17-2023)

Thanks

Well that at least makes me feel better. I do typically transport her in a thick "pillow case" designed for reptiles. She hates it though so I let her out in the car around my neck. I had the heat on in the car so she was fine. I still had her around my neck when I walked in to the reptile store and got scolded for it. I didn't think it was a big deal so it threw me off.

She's already off food and in her slow down stage so the food in her intestinal track shouldn't be an issue. She did her winter shed and poop a few weeks ago and has shown no more interest in food. She's also been frequently on her cold hide far more than other times throughout the year. This is normal for her at this point late in the year. I've had her for 11-12 years.

Regardless though, I won't do it again.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lX V1P3R Xl View Post
    Well that at least makes me feel better. I do typically transport her in a thick "pillow case" designed for reptiles. She hates it though so I let her out in the car around my neck. I had the heat on in the car so she was fine. I still had her around my neck when I walked in to the reptile store and got scolded for it. I didn't think it was a big deal so it threw me off.

She's already off food and in her slow down stage so the food in her intestinal track shouldn't be an issue. She did her winter shed and poop a few weeks ago and has shown no more interest in food. She's also been frequently on her cold hide far more than other times throughout the year. This is normal for her at this point late in the year. I've had her for 11-12 years.

Regardless though, I won't do it again.

Thanks for the reply!

Several bad ideas there:

Please: Never allow a snake loose in your car while driving- they don't usually stay on your shoulders for long- & they HAVE actually caused terrible vehicle accidents when they grabbed onto the steering wheel or proved distracting in other ways, like choking the driver. Please don't make it into the news that way- it reflects poorly on the whole snake-keeping community, & if we don't keep ourselves "in line", others happily will. Know what I mean? Distracted driving isn't just about cell phones- you can get a ticket for that.

Taking your pet snake into the reptile store is not the best idea either- the danger is that your snake will pick up snake mites, & they're a big hassle to treat, also a health & longevity issue for your snake (mites may be vectors for diseases, or the side effects of aggressive treatment to get rid of mites has been known to injure or even kill snakes).

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (11-17-2023),Homebody (11-17-2023),lX V1P3R Xl (11-17-2023)

Thanks

Yeah I don't plan on taking her out in the car anymore either. She was being pretty annoying yesterday, ha.

I think I'm ok on the reptile store though. They soley do reptiles and are proffessional. That's where I originally got her from years ago. Even if that wasn't the case though, if I have a situation where I need to get her boarded somewhere (like currently) I'm pretty stuck. I have to board her somewhere.

It's pretty rare that I get her boarded. I did two years ago when I was on vacation for 9 days and then yesterday because my apartment building is getting fumigated and all pets were required to be out. Other than that, it's extremely rare that I board her.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lX V1P3R Xl For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2023),Homebody (11-17-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Just a thought for future transport needs (trip to the vet, boarding, etc.). Consider getting a tub - I like the Sterilite gasket boxes because the clips for securing the lids are good and because they offer a nice variety of sizes - and drilling or melting air holes in it. For transport you can put a towel or keep some light substrate in the bottom so she has something to grip, and the tub should be spacious enough so that you can add one of those black plastic hides for her. The snakes aren't crazy about these but are definitely more relaxed about them than when they are in a snake bag.

The added benefit for a travel tub like that is that you now also have something you can use in the event of an emergency evacuation. Tape a heat mat to the side or bottom and add a water bowl and in an emergency you could keep her in it for several days.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-17-2023),lX V1P3R Xl (11-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Please: Never allow a snake loose in your car while driving...
    Amen to that! Also, you don't want to lose a snake in a car. There are so many places to hide. Think dashboard, seats, door panels. God help you if you have to find a lost snake in a car.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2023),KingPythons (11-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Amen to that! Also, you don't want to lose a snake in a car. There are so many places to hide. Think dashboard, seats, door panels. God help you if you have to find a lost snake in a car.
    It could be very educational, taking your car apart piece by piece & then re-assembling it, if that's your "thing". Not so convenient though. And deadly for the snake if they take a "wrong turn".

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-17-2023),KingPythons (11-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Geez, you’re giving me flash backs. ✋ ive lost a snake in the car before. It sucks, all you do is worry. For hours. Luckily he appeared 5 hours later unharmed.
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingPythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-18-2023),Homebody (11-19-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast