Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

0 members and 3,164 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Funny/weird feeding behavior

My ball python has always been a very good eater, and only missed one meal out of his whole life (he’s about 3 yrs old) and I think it was just because that rat was a little bit too big. But recently, the last four or so feedings he’s been tougher to feed and not wanting to take the rat (one of those for being the time he missed the feeding) but the last 3 feedings he just would get in striking position but not go after it so I tried a couple of things like leaving it in his enclosure. But what I’ve tried and seems to work his by rubbing and pushing the rat on his body until he gets pissed at it and bites it. He is an odd snake with a funny personality and I was wondering if this is just another one of his quirks or if anyone else has to do this with their snakes? Is it possible he’s not wanting the rats at first because they are too big? They’re about 13% his body weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EthanMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-07-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    That "tap on the snake" is a very common "trick" to make a snake turn & bite the prey you're trying to feed. BUT: don't over-use it- some snakes respond better than others- it's basically a defensive strike, & while some snakes will go ahead & eat what they bite, others will not. BPs are not always great with this technique, because they're usually shyer & mellower snakes, & more easily stressed.

I'm glad that has worked for you so far, but the need for extra stimulation likely means he's just not needing as much food as you've been feeding him. I'd suggest lengthening the time between meals, &/or feeding slightly smaller prey items for a better feed response. It does sound to me like you're overfeeding- -not to mention he's at that age when his growth is slowing down somewhat.

Overfeeding (esp. adult male BPs) once they become adults is a big reason they start fasting, which isn't fun at all. I'd much rather avoid causing a snake to fast, & even you seem to know these rats are a little too big.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Funny/weird feeding behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That "tap on the snake" is a very common "trick" to make a snake turn & bite the prey you're trying to feed. BUT: don't over-use it- some snakes respond better than others- it's basically a defensive strike, & while some snakes will go ahead & eat what they bite, others will not. BPs are not always great with this technique, because they're usually shyer & mellower snakes, & more easily stressed.

I'm glad that has worked for you so far, but the need for extra stimulation likely means he's just not needing as much food as you've been feeding him. I'd suggest lengthening the time between meals, &/or feeding slightly smaller prey items for a better feed response. It does sound to me like you're overfeeding- -not to mention he's at that age when his growth is slowing down somewhat.

Overfeeding (esp. adult male BPs) once they become adults is a big reason they start fasting, which isn't fun at all. I'd much rather avoid causing a snake to fast, & even you seem to know these rats are a little too big.
    I am glad to hear that others have used that same method. I was only feeding him because he was seeming to be more restless every day in his enclosure. Also, are used to feed him every two weeks and then the past couple times I did about three weeks and for this feeding it had been about four weeks. I was just surprised with his odd behavior the past few months that he wouldn’t strike it right away like he always had done in the past even when he was in his hides all day and night. Is once every 4 weeks too often still?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    ... Is once every 4 weeks too often still?

That depends on how big the prey is compared to the size of your snake, also the age of your snake ("senior citizens" often don't eat as much- but this doesn't apply to your snake), & may also depend on the time of year- in cooler months, many snakes don't want to eat as much, or at all.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (11-07-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That depends on how big the prey is compared to the size of your snake, also the age of your snake ("senior citizens" often don't eat as much- but this doesn't apply to your snake), & may also depend on the time of year- in cooler months, many snakes don't want to eat as much, or at all.
    Okay thanks for the help. I’ll just continue to watch him and play it out

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    My ball python has always been a very good eater, and only missed one meal out of his whole life (he’s about 3 yrs old) and I think it was just because that rat was a little bit too big. But recently, the last four or so feedings he’s been tougher to feed and not wanting to take the rat (one of those for being the time he missed the feeding) but the last 3 feedings he just would get in striking position but not go after it so I tried a couple of things like leaving it in his enclosure. But what I’ve tried and seems to work his by rubbing and pushing the rat on his body until he gets pissed at it and bites it. He is an odd snake with a funny personality and I was wondering if this is just another one of his quirks or if anyone else has to do this with their snakes? Is it possible he’s not wanting the rats at first because they are too big? They’re about 13% his body weight.

Try the hairdryer method rather than tapping .

99.9% success rate !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I agree with Boger. Sounds like he’s just being a snake and BPs are known to be finicky feeders. Sometimes they’re just hungrier than others. As long as he’s eating that’s what counts. A few of my male snakes will take a winter fast and not eat anything for 3-4 months but they’re back to normal in the spring.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-27-2023),EthanMG (11-27-2023)