Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

2 members and 3,178 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I totally agree with moderation and knowing your snake. We don't want to overdo it or cause any stress. I just noticed with our corn snake that he was eager to explore. If our BP is quieter and just wants to chill then thats fine.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lomu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-05-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Re: Ball python enrichment

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    One thing they do like is being turned loose on a bookshelf, because they can explore in there (and knock everything off the shelf) and still be in kind of a contained little area.
    My BP also loved the bookshelf. He liked to hide behind the books.
    Last edited by Homebody; 11-05-2023 at 09:15 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

A very informative post!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    My BP also loved the bookshelf. He liked to hide behind the books.
    I have yet to meet a snake that doesn't enjoy clearing bookshelves! I think it's in their DNA?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-05-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    I've never had much luck getting mine to clamber around on anything, they really prefer the ground. Like people said it doesn't need to be anything too complicated, they do get overwhelmed very easily so small changes can be stimulating enough - they're very focused on their sense of touch, so putting down clean towels or blankets with different textures for them to crawl over can be plenty for them. My male is very into this sort of thing and enjoys things like fleece blankets or fuzzy pillows, but the female finds this kind of texture unpleasant and will go away from it quickly (she also hates crawling on body hair so I always wear long sleeves for her sake). You can let them look at different things and see what they seem to respond to.
    That reminds me- most snakes do love to explore our bedding- especially when it's rumpled & can be dug under- but I caution you NOT to do this on your own bed, just in case the unthinkable happens (ie your snake has to expel wastes). Instead, use some old towels or blankets in a confined area. They also sell blankets made with a waterproof layer inside that's expressly for protecting your furniture from "accidents" with your dogs & cats (they never think about snakes, haha).

In fact, I just ordered one for my living room couch that I share with my 2 dogs- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFXSSTV9?th=1 This would make a perfect "bottom layer" to put some old towels or blankets on top of for snakes to explore, & they come in many sizes. Very practical & not pricey. I don't have it here yet but I expect to like it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-05-2023)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the ideas!!! I saw at the petshop those twirly rope hanging toys for parrots. Was thinking of hanging it then securing it to a base so it doesn't move.

I have an artificial vine in the corner of our BP viv. Would placing a something like the above become a danger? The vines aren't strong enough for Lomu to climb through and wanted something he could cling to within the vine. I also thought of those lizard hammocks that are woven. Place it behind the vine. Thought he may like it.

I also had an idea...I used to own an African grey headed parrot...bought him with wing and beak disease..gave him the best I could. He had a fab parrot stand. One could alter that into like a play area. Could silicone bark or something onto the base then have a hammock and something on the tree for enrichment when we take them out. Just a thought...

Thanks
    BPs are not good climbers- so I don't picture them climbing a rope- maybe in & out on a ladder though, the kind they sell for birds & such. Make sure anything that's woven doesn't have ANY holes your snake can get stuck in, because I promise you he'll find them AND get stuck.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (11-06-2023),Lomu (11-06-2023)

Thanks
    Ok thanks...yes...never realised how mischievous they are then they get themselves into a fix. Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lomu View Post
    Ok thanks...yes...never realised how mischievous they are then they get themselves into a fix. Lol
    They don't mean to be- they actually clear bookshelves because they're grabbing onto things for traction, & not being logical, they don't mean to push everything "off a cliff"- but they do.

As far as getting stuck in holes- remember they evolved in nature, where there are very few, if any, natural holes where they can get stuck. Then humans come along & drop 6-pack rings, & put up all kinds of bird netting, chicken wire & chain link fencing, & in captivity, give them "toys" (like fake skulls & Holee-roller balls) with openings they cannot go all the way thru, especially with "a meal on board". I don't believe snakes are capable of visually assessing such risks to avoid them- at least most of them aren't- so we -as their keepers- have to be sure we keep them safe in our world. Evolution just didn't prepare them for human-made hazards.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Lomu (11-07-2023)

Thanks

That makes sense.

I really enjoyed watching the Dave Kaufman adventure. What the hunters had to say makes so much sense as well. I tend to forget that animals have the sense to survive so holes aren't part of that survival skill set from being in the wild and living in a hide. The hunters had a point in saying that BP go up into the trees when it floods but otherwise stay in a burrow they have found. Being born and raised in South Africaut was fascinating to see how they live in environments the same as South Africa minus the higher heat levels. It gets hot down South but nothing like up near Ghana. I worry that Lomu gets bored at night. Shaka our corn snake I can see needs to be kept busy. He is really keen to explore etc so will keep changing things up and then when he is bigger will make something like a climbing course for him or something. Lomu might like to just chill.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lomu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-07-2023)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast