Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

1 members and 3,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: How to weigh

Thanks

How to weigh

Welp I weigh my boy he’s about 2 lbs last time I weighed him Wes September forgot last month because he finished a shead yesterday he dosnt like to sit still when he’s out well most of the time my question is how do you weigh your noodle his last meal was 10/17/23 he was due but he doesn’t take his meal when he’s sheading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    If they will sit still, you turn the scale on, put the bowl, holder, plate on the scale and then zero it out. Then place the snake on and there's the weight.

If they don't sit still, and are small enough, put them in a closed container and weigh them, then put them back and put the container back on and subtract that from the first weight.

for bigger snakes, you can put them in snake bags and do basically the same steps as above.

Sore Massive snakes... No idea lol...

Thanks

Re: How to weigh

Ok I have been putting a bowl on the scale then turn it on so it be zero out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    yeah there plenty of way to do it! just gotta find the one that works for you!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy31984 View Post
    ...my question is how do you weigh your noodle...
    Infrequently. I weigh my Children's python every three months. I also use Serpwidgets to measure his length. I think it's useful to know when making decisions about changing feeders or enclosure size. I don't do it more frequently because there is less value in it and I don't want to unnecessarily upset my snake.
    Last edited by Homebody; 11-04-2023 at 09:47 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (12-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    I seldom weigh my snakes, but when I do, I use the container/snake bag method. Then subtract the weight of the empty bag/container- easy & less stress. Snakes don't sit in bowls very well- at least MINE don't.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I never weigh my snakes anymore. I did weigh some of them when they were hatchlings and yearlings but I stopped years ago. I’m sure my snakes’ weights will fluctuate, like most animals, but unless they drop a significant amount of weight I’m not worried.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I never weigh my snakes anymore. I did weigh some of them when they were hatchlings and yearlings but I stopped years ago. I’m sure my snakes’ weights will fluctuate, like most animals, but unless they drop a significant amount of weight I’m not worried.
    I'm with you- I can't remember the last time I weighed one of my snakes. I need a very good reason to weigh one.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

I just put them in a net bag then weigh using fishing/angling scales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2023),Homebody (12-04-2023),Malum Argenteum (12-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 426 Posts
    I like that the scale is smiling.

I agree that weighing snakes isn't typically necessary. There are some exceptions for breeding purposes. One's first time breeding a species when they don't have the experience to be able to say 'that female is big enough to breed', breeding readiness recommendations given in terms of weight can be a useful metric. If I'm on the fense about the appearance of a female of a species I've bred before, I'll check her weight against other of my females to give a data point.

Not relevant for a BP, of course, but those species that are brumated can benefit from a weight check before and after brumation to make sure they didn't lose too much weight (which can indicate a problem with brumation temps, or illness in the snake).

One sort of unusual use of weighing: I can't reliably tell my Costa Rican Black Milk pair apart, so I weigh each before pairing them for breeding (they're at least a few hundred grams different, at least usually, but large enough that I can't see that difference visually) so I can keep them straight afterwards without having to probe one of them.

Outside of breeding programs, I've had reason to consult weight records on older snakes that simply look 'off' to help me figure out what I might be seeing in the appearance of the snake. Sometimes it turns out that the snake just needs to be offered more food, and what I was seeing was simply skinniness. Sometimes their weight is within that animal's normal range and I need to do some more digging to figure out what might be going on.

If I had a snake that seemed excessively upset by being weighed, I would be less likely to weigh it -- but snakes are usually pretty tolerant of this sort of thing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2023),Homebody (12-04-2023)