Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,192

2 members and 3,190 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Where to place the probe

Thanks for the input. We have realised that there is too much ventilation along the top section of the viv. The corn on the top has 3 small vents and the bottom viv with our BP has a 5cm strip along the top of the viv at the back. We have blocked up sections and left 3 vent sections open and the rest closed.

I hear you on swapping the snakes. We just want to give the BP a chance to settle. He is warm enough on the hot side and it's gone up to 24c on the cold side. Also the bedding is taking time to heat up so we hope by Monday or Tuesday the temp on the cold side will be 26c. The viv is 3ft and at the moment Lomu has a gradient which will keep him warm enough and able to move out of the hot side if he wants to.

We are using a gun and have a thermometer. The thermometer and the stat are nearly aligned. I am assuming that one goes with what the gun says over the thermometer and stat?

The gun read 34.8c and the thermometer read 32.4 and the stat is set at 31c. The hides are not directly below the lamp and surrounding the area at 29c inside the hide. Lomu has spent the last 2 days sleeping in the grey hide at 29c which fluctuates from 29c to 30c. He came out last night and explored - went up onto his top branch and lay near the lamp along his branch at the top then came down and eventually went into his hide. His movements are slow with lots of tongue flicking. He also lay in the cold area last night. We just happy that he is OK to come out and happy has a hide that he is enjoying.

I will send updated pics of the viv after adjustments. He has been left alone now for a day without fiddling.

Thanks

This is the updated pics. We had a lovely massive branch across but wanted to warm up the tank without that massive branch. We will put it back once the viv is stable.

If we struggle to keep the cool side at 26c we may have to move the lamp more towards the middle. If we don't have to swap the cages around we won't.

The corn snake is fine at 32 on the hot side and 24 on the cool side. We turn down his temp to 24 at night. Not adjusting the BP temp until its stable.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Thanks

I replaced the cool side hide with another grey hide that he is sleeping in on the far right.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lomu View Post
    Thanks for the input. We have realised that there is too much ventilation along the top section of the viv. The corn on the top has 3 small vents and the bottom viv with our BP has a 5cm strip along the top of the viv at the back. We have blocked up sections and left 3 vent sections open and the rest closed.

I hear you on swapping the snakes. We just want to give the BP a chance to settle. He is warm enough on the hot side and it's gone up to 24c on the cold side. Also the bedding is taking time to heat up so we hope by Monday or Tuesday the temp on the cold side will be 26c. The viv is 3ft and at the moment Lomu has a gradient which will keep him warm enough and able to move out of the hot side if he wants to.

We are using a gun and have a thermometer. The thermometer and the stat are nearly aligned. I am assuming that one goes with what the gun says over the thermometer and stat?

The gun read 34.8c and the thermometer read 32.4 and the stat is set at 31c. The hides are not directly below the lamp and surrounding the area at 29c inside the hide. Lomu has spent the last 2 days sleeping in the grey hide at 29c which fluctuates from 29c to 30c. He came out last night and explored - went up onto his top branch and lay near the lamp along his branch at the top then came down and eventually went into his hide. His movements are slow with lots of tongue flicking. He also lay in the cold area last night. We just happy that he is OK to come out and happy has a hide that he is enjoying.

I will send updated pics of the viv after adjustments. He has been left alone now for a day without fiddling.
    That ventilation'll get you every time. Good job sussing that out. Sounds like you're well on your way. You are correct that the temps you get from the heat gun are the most important. Keep a close eye on that basking temp. 34.8C (94.6F) is a little too high and you definitely don't want it to go any higher.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-28-2023)

Thanks

We took all your advice and changed the snakes around. Shaka, our corn, was the one that we disturbed the most but he was out with us supervising and was inspecting everything. We literally lifted Lomu with the hide and popped him in once the top viv was sorted.

I also realised that I had alot of substrate in the BP(Lomu) viv and wanted him to be able to burrow but right taken the excess out to help with heating up the viv. I know deep heat projector penetrate but just speeding up the heating process for now. Hope that we the cool side reaches 26c. The top viv is also smaller. We really didn't want to move the snakes but see the logic.

The lamps are also in the correct position now so that's sorted.

We are getting there. Exhausting! Self inflicted!

We also moved the probes for the thermostat we have placed on the wall just outside of the lamp and left the thermometer under the heat. We are looking for thin slate to place near the heat source to distribute the heat. We have normal stone which should help for now.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lomu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-29-2023),Homebody (10-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Looks great! You should be proud.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Thanks so much! We still waiting for the temps to sort themselves out and we moved both probes under the heat source. Temps under the heat source is sitting at 32c. Lomu ate his supper tonight. Was super happy. My hubby was all smiles. He was sleeping when we fed Shaka our corn snake which gobbled his down then we thought we would try to see if Lomu was up to it and he woke up and ate it with no problems.

We may have to supplement the heat source for Lomu if it doesn't reach 25c on the cool side. Giving the viv time to heat up.

I really appreciate all the input and help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123