Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

2 members and 3,237 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts

Re: Where to place the probe

Quote Originally Posted by Lomu View Post
    ...we have a corn snake and he likes to lie a little uncoiled in his hides so we got him hides that were for his size. Yesterday, the gentleman at the aquatics and reptiles told us to get smaller hides. I honestly stood there and was like...this is going to be such a waste of money...there is no way Lomu will fit in there. We bought 2 different hides...grey one that is like a caramel exo terra one and then the cheaper black box plastic type hides. Both are tiny but he is very happily sleeping in the grey hide this morning. I stand corrected on that one.

....Also...the half logs...we are thinking of keeping them in but moving the black hide into its place and the temp inside the log isn't very high compared to the outside of the hide.....
    Yes, snakes will use large hides if that's all they have ("any port in a storm") but they do prefer to squish in to feel safe from anything sneaking in after them. Think of human designer homes promoted by fancy magazines, & do the opposite for snakes. Meaning: No big dramatic doorways -just one modest entrance please; No high ceilings- we snakes like "back pressure".

Half logs are fine just as "furniture" but they're not secure feeling (way too open) so they don't count as "hides". Don't worry, you'll be thinking like a snake before long. Hopefully it won't be at dinner time though.

BTW, I have corn snakes & always have- other rat snakes too- they are all my thing.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-27-2023 at 11:00 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-27-2023)

Thanks

Ok thanks. I read her comments and it was super helpful. We took out the chunky branch on the ground as it was blocking the heat to the cold side. Will leave now and see how the temp does over the next couple of days.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-27-2023 at 11:02 AM. Reason: This is in reference to post #10, since it wasn't quoted.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Ok thanks. I read her comments and it was super helpful. We took out the chunky branch on the ground as it was blocking the heat to the cold side. Will leave now and see how the temp does over the next couple of days.
    Again, I'm no DHP expert, but, as I understand it, chunky things are exactly what you should be putting into your enclosure. At first, they may absorb heat, but once warmed up, they'll begin to radiate heat. That's what you need to raise your ambient temps. Flat rocks are especially good for this. So, more chunk, not less.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-27-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, snakes will use large hides if that's all they have ("any port in a storm") but they do prefer to squish in to feel safe from anything sneaking in after them. Think of human designer homes promoted by fancy magazines, & do the opposite for snakes. Meaning: No big dramatic doorways -just one modest entrance please; No high ceilings- we snakes like "back pressure".

Half logs are fine just as "furniture" but they're not secure feeling (way too open) so they don't count as "hides". Don't worry, you'll be thinking like a snake before long. Hopefully it won't be at dinner time though.

BTW, I have corn snakes & always have- other rat snakes too- they are all my thing.
    I had a good giggle...really was impressed by how Lomu squeezed into that hide.

I moved around our corn snakes furniture and did a clean up and before I was finished he was having a good look at what was going on. Such a character!

Thanks

I popped a flat rock under the lamp so that's good to go. We leaving Lomu alone now and will check the temp when changing the water over the next 2 days. He skipped his feed on Wed but that's to be expected after 2 days of arriving back home with us. Will see if he will eat next Wednesday.

Out of interest....what us your temp in the basking area and cool side?

Thanks

I popped a flat rock under the lamp so that's good to go. We leaving Lomu alone now and will check the temp when changing the water over the next 2 days. He skipped his feed on Wed but that's to be expected after 2 days of arriving back home with us. Will see if he will eat next Wednesday.

Out of interest....what us your temp in the basking area and cool side?
    When I kept a BP, I aimed for 90F and 80F (32C and 26C).
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-27-2023 at 03:08 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Lomu (10-28-2023)

Thanks

Thanks Homebody. The cool side is 22 at the moment. We leaving things to warm up. I also put a thick layer of coconut fibre and bark chips so that also needs to warm up. Again…for those looking to buy a BP…it takes time for the viv and branches etc to warm up. That is why one needs a week before you put a BP in its viv. No idea what we going to do if the temp doesn’t rise in the cold side…cross that bridge when we get there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lomu For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-28-2023)

Thanks

Thanks Homebody. The cool side is 22 at the moment. We leaving things to warm up. I also put a thick layer of coconut fibre and bark chips so that also needs to warm up. Again…for those looking to buy a BP…it takes time for the viv and branches etc to warm up. That is why one needs a week before you put a BP in its viv. No idea what we going to do if the temp doesn’t rise in the cold side…cross that bridge when we get there.
    That's nippy. Anyway you and raise the ambient in the room? Turn up the thermostat in your house? A space heater? Just until the DHP finishes doing it's thing.

Thanks

You should also consider putting the corn snake in the bottom enclosure and the ball python in the top one. Heat rises. Every little bit helps. Your bp needs it more than your corn does.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    You should also consider putting the corn snake in the bottom enclosure and the ball python in the top one. Heat rises. Every little bit helps. Your bp needs it more than your corn does.
    Excellent observation & I quite agree. Corn snakes don't do well with too much heat, & this would be safer & healthier for both.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-28-2023)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast