Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

4 members and 3,089 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Where to place the probe

Hi everyone,

Its day 5 since we bought our banana fire dbl het clown home. His name is Lomu. We are based in the UK. It's been a rough ride as we had some glitches along the way and are salvaging the situation.

We own a corn snake as well and realised that we are in another league completely in comparison to snake care. Royal pythons are not for beginners. That being said we are moving forward positively and only have our snakes best interest at heart.

We are using a 3foot wooden viv. We are also using a Deep heat projector and have a probe for it and the thermometer probe. We just want to make sure that the probe is placed in the correct place. We bought an infared gun today.

We are changing our stat to a dimmer one as it works best with the DHP.

I want to attach photos but I cannot find the sticky that explains how to do it. Please could someone kindly direct me to where I can find it.

Can a probe be placed under a hide and should the hide be placed right under the heat source. With our corn snake we have the hot hide just to the side.

Does anyone have problems keeping the temp at the cold side up?!

We have placed a few hides in the hot area and have a hide in the cold with the humid hide in the middle. Once I can attach the pictures you will see that the probe and thermometer are attached to a small log on top of the substrate. They may be too high off the ground to get the surface temp accurate.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Re: Where to place the probe

Quote Originally Posted by Lomu View Post
    I want to attach photos but I cannot find the sticky that explains how to do it. Please could someone kindly direct me to where I can find it.
    Here it is: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-26-2023)

Thanks

I've taken the liberty of moving your pics to the same thread as your inquiry. I'm also labeled them with numbers so they'll be easier to reference.
    Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

Pic 11

Pic 12

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-26-2023),Ruby (10-26-2023)

Thanks

We are using a 3foot wooden viv. We are also using a Deep heat projector and have a probe for it and the thermometer probe. We just want to make sure that the probe is placed in the correct place. We bought an infared gun today.

We are changing our stat to a dimmer one as it works best with the DHP.

Can a probe be placed under a hide and should the hide be placed right under the heat source. With our corn snake we have the hot hide just to the side.

Does anyone have problems keeping the temp at the cold side up?!

We have placed a few hides in the hot area and have a hide in the cold with the humid hide in the middle. Once I can attach the pictures you will see that the probe and thermometer are attached to a small log on top of the substrate. They may be too high off the ground to get the surface temp accurate.
    First, I'd like to encourage you by saying that it looks like you have all the pieces for a first class set up. You'll probably just need to tweak it a bit.

To that end, a couple questions:
    • What is the wattage of your DHP?
    • What thermostat are you using now and which one are you planning to switch to?
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-26-2023 at 05:59 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-26-2023),Lomu (10-27-2023),Ruby (10-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    Lomu, I've deleted the first thread to eliminate confusion (people posting in both threads), since now it's all covered here.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I've taken the liberty of moving your pics to the same thread as your inquiry. I'm also labeled them with numbers so they'll be easier to reference.
    Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

Pic 11

Pic 12
    Thank you for sorting that out. I now know to label them and will use the app when posting pictures next time from the get go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Lomu, I've deleted the first thread to eliminate confusion (people posting in both threads), since now it's all covered here.
    Yes thanks for doing that. I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    First, I'd like to encourage you by saying that it looks like you have all the pieces for a first class set up. You'll probably just need to tweak it a bit.

To that end, a couple questions:
    • What is the wattage of your DHP?
    • What thermostat are you using now and which one are you planning to switch to?
    Thank you so much Homebody for the encouragement. If anyone reads this and is new to ball pythons...we have a corn snake and he likes to lie a little uncoiled in his hides so we got him hides that were for his size. Yesterday, the gentleman at the aquatics and reptiles told us to get smaller hides. I honestly stood there and was like...this is going to be such a waste of money...there is no way Lomu will fit in there. We bought 2 different hides...grey one that is like a caramel exo terra one and then the cheaper black box plastic type hides. Both are tiny but he is very happily sleeping in the grey hide this morning. I stand corrected on that one.

The wattage on the arcadia dhp is 80W. I have attached a picture of what the stat looks like versus the stat we have for our corn snake.

Picture number 1 is our BP stat
    Picture number 2 is our BP stat

We used the gun last night and the corn snakes reading matched the stat. The temp from the stat and the thermometer on the corn snakes viv is the same. The stat we using for the BP is off with the thermometer. It's also not the same as the gun.

When we got the viv it came with another stat...it is the stat that you use the 'key' to turn the dial...really off as well.

The above has contributed to all the hassle with having to disrupt Lomu. We knew that the viv would come set up for us upon collection but in hindsight as everyone who knows says...set up the viv a week before and make all your adjustments before you get a BP. With Shaka we had him in a baby viv then spent time setting his big viv up so by the time he was put in all was good to go.

We want to get a stat like the one we use with our corn...the classic.

We have been thinking about moving the lamp to the middle of the ceiling away from the corner and then to the right slightly so that we are able to keep the cool side warm enough.

Also...the half logs...we are thinking of keeping them in but moving the black hide into its place and the temp inside the log isn't very high compared to the outside of the hide.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lomu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-27-2023)

Thanks

Edit...

Picture 1 is our BP stat
    Picture 2 is our corn snake stat

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Thanks

We have been thinking about moving the lamp to the middle of the ceiling away from the corner and then to the right slightly so that we are able to keep the cool side warm enough.

Also...the half logs...we are thinking of keeping them in but moving the black hide into its place and the temp inside the log isn't very high compared to the outside of the hide.
    I'd keep the DHP where it is for now. Having it on the side makes it easier to create a temperature gradient across the enclosure. Your DHP may just need more time to heat things up. Adding stuff like slate for the DHP to warm up may help too. I've never used DHPs myself, my friend Caitlin has. Here are a few posts from her:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...be#post2783531
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...be#post2766676
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...be#post2762918.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-27-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast