Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

3 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Guinea Tree Boa Arizona

Hi Everyone!!

So about a month ago I got a New Guinea Tree Boa (they said Dwarf, but i honestly don't know). It was a Female. She was my first snake. So far she's had he ups and downs and for sure doesn't really like being held. She will but she'll just wrap around your hand and hold on lol. The cute part is her flat nose and how how she slides around with her nose pointed down like a vacuum lol.

Last week I just got the male one that she was with before I bought her. Now they are just chilling hanging out together. She is more of a reddish color and he is just a darker brownish color The pattern on both of them is beautiful!

I'm not really sure how old they are, but I have a feeling they will stay pretty small. Sexual dimorphism seems pretty noticeable between them.

I can't find much info on them online. Wish my luck in my journey.

Female

Look at her little eye lashes lol!!!

Male and Female together

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistery510 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-19-2023),Homebody (10-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistery510 View Post
    The cute part is her flat nose and how how she slides around with her nose pointed down like a vacuum lol...

Look at her little eye lashes lol!!!

I love your observations!

I have no experience with these & don't have time right now to research them, but MOST ALL snakes should be housed singly- & only put together for breeding- even then you need to watch as accidents happen! (Don't I know it!) Just because they do this (co-hab snakes) in pet stores doesn't mean you should. Remember these are your pets, not just merchandise you're trying to sell. If snakes mate before they've had time to really acclimate, it can go quite poorly for them- you could lose them. It's a good idea not to breed newly acquired snakes for a year, so you can make sure their health is optimal, no parasites, etc. Are these captive bred???? It can take even longer if they're w/c (wild caught). Don't be in a hurry- the best snake keeping experiences come with patience.

When you co-hab snakes & find a regurgitation, how do you know which one did it? Same goes for nasty looking stool- don't expect any confessions. If one is sick, it won't be long before they both are, when germs & parasites are shared. So that's double the vet bill for treatments too.

Snakes 'compete' for the best spots (temperature & security) in their home turf, & it causes them stress to be unable to get to them because the other snake is already there. Over time, stress lowers their immune system functioning, making them more likely to get sick from whatever they were exposed to previously (pathogens & parasites).

And snakes are predators- even when their normal diet is not other snakes or reptiles, sometimes they fail to read the manual & will attack (try to EAT) their intended mate or room-mate. Been there, seen it happen & was too late to save her! Don't say no one mentioned this. Remember that snakes depend on their sense of smell- & after they eat, they'll be amped up AND have prey odor on them- that MAY get them attacked by their cage-mate. Please don't co-hab snakes- it doesn't end well, no matter how well-fed they are.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-19-2023 at 06:37 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-21-2023),bcr229 (10-20-2023),Homebody (10-20-2023)

Thanks
    You make really good points. I just hear so much conflicting things... But ill definitely be looking for more cages!!

Thanks

Re: New Guinea Tree Boa Arizona

You make really good points. I just hear so much conflicting things... But ill definitely be looking for more cages!!
    Thanks- and I slightly revised what I wrote above- added a bit more. Please remember, we're not here to sell you anything- our only goal is for your snakes to do well in your care, & for you to have the best experience with them.

BTW, I've kept many many snakes- various kinds- for well over 3 decades. Bred some in the past, but not commercially oriented- just enjoyed keeping them, & rescuing some when I could. These days I am just enjoying fewer snakes, 14 to be exact- as pets only.

Thanks
    I know!! I'm here for info!!! and I found some great deals on OfferUp for some new tanks!! lol

Yeah my end goal is just to have happy healthy snakes!!

So, I am not sure if these are CB or WC.. Still trying to get more info... But neither have eaten Pinkie mice yet. I've tried 2 times... I've read they like to eat Anoles.. So I'm going to look into that.

Yeah i really just need to find more info on ALL my snakes lol

Thanks
    I have a feeling that these are not going to be easy, especially for someone new to keeping snakes- but I hope I'm wrong. If their normal diet is anoles, then you need to think about scenting their food. For example, I've kept multiple desert longnose snakes (I still currently have a TX longnose snake- age 22 years) & their natural food is small snakes & lizards. To get them eating pink & fuzzy (crew) mice is a challenge, to say the least, but one thing I've found that helps is to thaw the mice in water to wash off as much mouse scent as you can. After that, you might need to get an anole for adding scent to the mice, to get these feeding. I don't envy you, actually.

BTW, how big are these? (approx. length?) If (as I suspect) they're wild caught imports, they're likely to be heavily parasitized, & for them to survive, you'll probably need the help of a good vet. If you need to find one, this may help: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Also, your Trans Pecos are likely captive bred- & they should be NOWHERE NEAR these New Guinea tree boas- they should be kept quarantined* separately. *I hope you are up on this?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-21-2023),Homebody (10-20-2023),Mistery510 (10-19-2023),Ruby (10-20-2023)

Thanks
    O yes they are in separate rooms of my house!!! And in a few days Ill have 2 more cages to separate more.

Yes I tried scenting pinkies already and they had no want at all for them. I even did the whole putting into a small container where its touching the food and the pinkie died 2 days later... Maybe I do need to get frozen ones, then thaw them out, heat them up and scent them that way...

The female is about 15 to 18 inches i think.. the male is a bit smaller... female is about twice as thick as the male. she's like a good Thumb thickness size.

Yeah i know i have my work cut out... These were both in the store for almost 2 months before I got them...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistery510 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Take them back. Caring for wild caught snakes that don't have established care guidelines is too much for a new keeper. I doubt the shop charged you much for them. Your first vet bill will undoubtedly be higher. Don't throw good money after bad. Return these snakes to the shop. Even if they won't give you your money back, you'll be way ahead.

And the money won't be the half of it. Frustration and concern over their declining health will give you grey hair. More importantly, it will keep you from attending to your new rat snakes. Do your research first and I'm sure you can find much more suitable snakes to fill those new enclosures.

What we're describing above isn't a worst case scenario. It's the most likely scenario. Don't feel too bad. Your not the first new keeper to fall prey to an unscrupulous pet shop owner. Most new keepers do. I don't know you, but, if you were my own brother, I'd give you the same advice. Good luck.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-20-2023 at 08:29 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-21-2023),Bogertophis (10-20-2023),Mistery510 (10-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thank you for the advise Homebody. I'm going to hold onto them for now. I'm waiting for the shop to get back to me on the information about them. From there ill base my decision.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Thank you for the advise Homebody. I'm going to hold onto them for now. I'm waiting for the shop to get back to me on the information about them. From there ill base my decision.
    If these are the Candoia carinata carinata subspecies of Candoia carinata then you're not kidding when you say there is very little information out there about them. All I found specifically on this subspecies are these articles from keepers detailing their attempts to feed them:
    https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargang...0captivity.pdf
    https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargang...20paulsoni.pdf.

You are probably going to have to rely to some extent on info about closely related species. Here's a link that may help: https://reptile-database.reptarium.c...h_param=%28%29.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-20-2023 at 10:53 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-21-2023),Bogertophis (10-20-2023),Mistery510 (10-20-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast